The Student Room Group

Clinical Placements VS Electives

Hi Everyone!

I'm planning on doing my speciality training in the UK, but from what I understand it's rather competitive. So, I need to improve my CV as much as I can.

While browsing several teaching Hospitals I came across the terms "Elective" and " Clinical Placement". Could anyone explain what is the difference and whether I can apply to either or both?

Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
Original post by Ladybug24
Hi Everyone!

I'm planning on doing my speciality training in the UK, but from what I understand it's rather competitive. So, I need to improve my CV as much as I can.

While browsing several teaching Hospitals I came across the terms "Elective" and " Clinical Placement". Could anyone explain what is the difference and whether I can apply to either or both?

Thanks a lot!

My interepretation would be that in an undergraduate UK context:

- 'Clinical placement' = core part of your training and where you are allocated to do the clinical part for a certain specialty block e.g. medicine, surgery, paediatrics, O&G, psychiatry etc. There may be the ability to go outside the usual hospitals for these but there may still be some restrictions (e.g. within the UK or certain other countries only).

- 'Elective' = still a core part of the degree but where the student has choice over what specialty they do (could include things not typically done by everyone as core - like, erm.. haematology or plastic surgery or forensic psychiatry) and where (anywhere in the world) and may also be for longer than a clinical placement duration.

So you'd probably need to check eligibility criteria/ask specific hospitals if not sure but the same post/opportunity probably could be both a clinical placement or an elective placement for different people! :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much Elles :smile: Great Help!

Quick Reply