The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Completely devastated and disillusioned by life.

With uni years approaching, I'm really starting to worry about what the future holds for me... I remember when I was in high school trying to decide what career would be right for me, I would go for pretty much anything prestigious or high paying and thinking about how amazing my life would be if I got into a great university and went into a high paying profession and only in the last year did I start to realize how I tricked myself into thinking that's what I want.

Even just browsing through TSR makes me nauseous. All these 18 year olds talking about 'Will going to Oxford over Cambridge decrease my chances of landing a 50,000 grad jobs' type of threads make me so devastated. The whole obsession with prestigious jobs and work is completely alien to me, the idea that I would have to graduate and then spend the next 40-50 years of my life going to work 5 days a week, 8 (or more!) hours a day makes prison or death seem like a luxury vacation. But oh wait, you get FOUR WEEKS off a year! Wow....splendid.

I seriously cannot imagine spending the rest of my life sitting in an office or whatever else setting doing this:
- Wake up at 7 (way earlier than I wish to)
- Get to work by 8
- Work & stress yourself out until 4 PM and then some overtime
- Arrive home probably well after 5 PM
- Be exhausted from working and not have enough energy to have fun
- Go to bed early so that you can wake up in the morning
- Do this for the next 50 years

The idea that a 50,000/year salary is amazing doesn't really seem that good to me when I remind myself how much I'd have to work for that amount of money (all the time) and when you think about the fact that there are people so rich they pay that amount just for a piece of clothing, it really doesn't seem that much or worth the effort it requires.

The only job I've ever had was waitressing, I did it for 4 months and it was the most soul destroying event of my entire life. Going to that SAME place every day to do something as useless as making coffee for other people for 8 hours on end was the biggest waste of my time. There are so many interesting things I could've done with all that time, but no, I was making coffee because I needed to make a living. My co workers were completely content with their lives while working there... they didn't wanna go to uni. They didnt have dreams of a career or making more money or anything. They just accepted they have to work this ****ty job and will do this for the rest of their lives without crying about how much they hate it. The way people accept this as their way of living is unfathomable to me. The fact that this is waiting for me part time while at uni is making me question whether I even want to go to uni at all.

I also have major issues with authority/bosses and 'professional' environments where you have to 'behave' yourself and pretend to be somebody you're not.

I honestly don't think the 9-5 (and overtime) is the kind of lifestyle people are supposed to live, the whole 'work to live' lifestyle makes me sick and at this point it seems like there's no way out. I've spent so many years dreaming of graduating uni and having a great job and making my parents proud, having a big house, buying expensive clothes, expensive cars, the road to all this is too much
of a hassle, I mean people these days are happy to get a basic grad job, let alone making it big or living comfortably...

I'm not anyone special with talents so I won't become a celebrity and I certainly won't be winning the lottery either any time soon. I can't see myself living this life everybody's leading. You can call me immature, lazy, spoiled, whatever you want. Maybe I am. All of this is a nightmare to me but then not being rich is a nightmare on its own. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this world.

Am I really the only one who can't deal with the status quo?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm personally trying to fight that status quo (despite being on my final year of uni) by aiming to do a job that is in a lab or outside for a decent amount of time, rather than a full time desk job. I'm not bothered about earning bucket-loads of money though.

Have you thought about getting a job as a tradesman?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Check out this video (skip the first 16 seconds). It reflects your sentiments.
Moved this thread to the Mental Health forum, where I feel it's more fitting :smile:
I agree with you completely, OP.

Money doesnt really motivate me that much, I would love to escape the boring officey tripe too
Reply 5
It's perfectly natural to have these thoughts about life in general, the majority of people seem to go through a phase where the thought of giving half of your life away to the corporate working world which doesn't care about you is just downright depressing. All throughout school we're made to believe by teachers that we're gifted, we're intelligent, we'll get somewhere in life, and then you leave your childhood and school behind and suddenly everyone else is just as gifted and intelligent as you. Oh, to go back to childhood where you weren't pressured constantly into joining a job which takes up most of your time, creativity and lust for life.

But guess what? It does get better.

I've been through the phase myself. I felt like my job was eating into my personality and making me another boring 9-5 drone, I felt like it was sapping my creativity, and eating into my free time - why the hell should I have a job?! Around this time, I moved departments - I now work in a place where:

- everyone is easy to talk to and approach with any problems
- hard work is paid attention to, praised and rewarded
- my colleagues are friendly, happy and good company
- stress is managed in rational, calm and sensible ways
- people understand if you are too busy to take on more work

Now, I actually look forward to going to work everyday. When I come home, I feel good because I know I've put in hard work and because I receive praise, it's just awesome being able to sit back in the evenings knowing you've been productive and hard working all day. Not to mention being surrounded by fun but hardworking people. Find the right job, put in hard work and you'll feel the same. If I was unemployed, I'd feel less happy as I wouldn't feel as productive or like I was actually doing something with my day.

You won't feel like this forever. I've been there, I think a big part of it is missing the innocence and freedom of your childhood and being too scared to face a future where you have responsibilities and have to stand on your own two feet. Work can be stressful, but it can also be incredibly rewarding, and not just financially. Spread your wings, you don't have to be set on one specific career from an early age, your right path in life may still be undiscovered. Make a list of all the things you want to achieve in life - i.e travelling the world, sky diving, write and publish a novel - I find that doing this helps give you some purpose and ambition to achieve your goals and get through the day, especially when life seems so pointless and cruel.
Reply 6
Hey man its alright, I know what you mean. You just have to find a job that isn't stressful. You want to wake up and want to go to work! An office job is what suits some people, im quite lookin forward to going to uni and graduating, then contributing to society and solving physics-based problems in engineering. Maybe you're more of an outdoorsy person?
Reply 7
Hi Please dont despair. I seriously had to wonder if i had written that post sometime myself then had completely forgotten about it. Your feelings about work reverberated off me like an echo. I have been to uni and graduated with a professional degree. Ive done some work in my field but im currently unemployed mainly because i too just cannot fathom the pretentiousness of the 9-5 5-7 day week work routine and can neither understand how anyone else can. I have come to realise that many people feel this way but they just don't voice it for fear of being labelled lazy. I agree that than there should be more to life this very artificial routine. I am often fatigued just from the daily grind as i now do voluntary work and am involved in other projects. The thing that strikes most fear, is the prospect of doing this for the rest of my life.
Reply 8
Original post by driftawaay
With uni years approaching, I'm really starting to worry about what the future holds for me... I remember when I was in high school trying to decide what career would be right for me, I would go for pretty much anything prestigious or high paying and thinking about how amazing my life would be if I got into a great university and went into a high paying profession and only in the last year did I start to realize how I tricked myself into thinking that's what I want.

Even just browsing through TSR makes me nauseous. All these 18 year olds talking about 'Will going to Oxford over Cambridge decrease my chances of landing a 50,000 grad jobs' type of threads make me so devastated. The whole obsession with prestigious jobs and work is completely alien to me, the idea that I would have to graduate and then spend the next 40-50 years of my life going to work 5 days a week, 8 (or more!) hours a day makes prison or death seem like a luxury vacation. But oh wait, you get FOUR WEEKS off a year! Wow....splendid.

I seriously cannot imagine spending the rest of my life sitting in an office or whatever else setting doing this:
- Get to work by 8

The idea that a 50,000/year salary is amazing doesn't really seem that good to me when I remind myself how much I'd have to work for that amount of money (all the time) and when you think about the fact that there are people so rich they pay that amount just for a piece of clothing, it really doesn't seem that much or worth the effort it requires.

The only job I've ever had was waitressing, I did it for 4 months and it was the most soul destroying event of my entire life. Going to that SAME place every day to do something as useless as making coffee for other people for 8 hours on end was the biggest waste of my time. There are so many interesting things I could've done with all that time, but no, I was making coffee because I needed to make a living. My co workers were completely content with their lives while working there... they didn't wanna go to uni. They didnt have dreams of a career or making more money or anything. They just accepted they have to work this ****ty job and will do this for the rest of their lives without crying about how much they hate it. The way people accept this as their way of living is unfathomable to me. The fact that this is waiting for me part time while at uni is making me question whether I even want to go to uni at all.

I also have major issues with authority/bosses and 'professional' environments where you have to 'behave' yourself and pretend to be somebody you're not.

I honestly don't think the 9-5 (and overtime) is the kind of lifestyle people are supposed to live, the whole 'work to live' lifestyle makes me sick and at this point it seems like there's no way out. I've spent so many years dreaming of graduating uni and having a great job and making my parents proud, having a big house, buying expensive clothes, expensive cars, the road to all this is too much
of a hassle, I mean people these days are happy to get a basic grad job, let alone making it big or living comfortably...

I'm not anyone special with talents so I won't become a celebrity and I certainly won't be winning the lottery either any time soon. I can't see myself living this life everybody's leading. You can call me immature, lazy, spoiled, whatever you want. Maybe I am. All of this is a nightmare to me but then not being rich is a nightmare on its own. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this world.

Hi Please dont despair. I seriously had to wonder if i had written that post sometime myself then had completely forgotten about it. Your feelings about work reverberated off me like an echo. I have been to uni and graduated with a professional degree. Ive done some work in my field but im currently unemployed mainly because i too just cannot fathom the pretentiousness of the 9-5 5-7 day week work routine and can neither understand how anyone else can. I have come to realise that many people feel this way but they just don't voice it for fear of being labelled lazy. I agree that than there should be more to life this very artificial routine. I am often fatigued just from the daily grind as i now do voluntary work and am involved in other projects. The thing that strikes most fear, is the prospect of doing this for the rest of my life.
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Moved this thread to the Mental Health forum, where I feel it's more fitting :smile:

Where was it originally ?

Maybe put it in the philosophy section
if the word went to war but only the navy existed and everybody lived on a categorical boat I'd be in the same one as you
Humans are not supposed to wake up at the crack of dawn and work for the next ten hours for the enrichment of some gigantic and remote corporation. Humans are supposed to engage in hunting and gathering, which is a mix of entrepreneurship and sport. And they are supposed to take pride in providing food, shelter and protection to the tribe in common and believe in the integrity of their tribe so much that they want to die for it. If you look at yourself, you'll see that it's sublimations of these three drives which give you your motivation.

Work is slavery, that's all there is to it. We work so we can afford a roof over our head, and if we're among the best workers, we might get a mortgage, through which we can buy something approaching freedom. That's exactly the same system that has been used down the ages for slaves, the only difference is that nowadays currency is involved rather than provision in kind.

If you think of your work as going to inflate the profits of the capitalists at the top of your company, then you must realise that even the wage given to you is only given so that it can be transferred to other capitalists, primarily your landlord, but also the utility companies and the supermarkets, among many others. You're little better than a farm animal who is kept around only so that you can be a conduit for the enrichment of capitalists of every sort.

People our age realise that the mortgage and pensions circus is over: we will be worked until we die and never even have a house to show for our efforts. You have to hope your parents amassed a decent amount of wealth and are investing it wisely.

If you want to know how work evolved, you have to look at the development of settled agriculture. This required a social system where a powerful landlord controls access to food and the rest of the people engage in farming the land. As long as their labour is useful, the people will be given just enough to survive, and a judiciously calculated mixture of carrots and sticks to keep them fighting amongst themselves.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by democracyforum
Where was it originally ?

Maybe put it in the philosophy section

This was posted in January, I have no idea.

I am also no longer a mod.

If I was a mod, I wouldn't move it there.

:yy:
Hi I just want to say that I can relate to how you feel.
the routine work pattern you listed would put me off as well.
but sadly we can't win in this situation.
there are only two options...study hard in order find a well paid job
or spend our time doing unskilled jobs like waitressing which is far from rewarding financially or emotionally.
Original post by Trevor Tea
Hi I just want to say that I can relate to how you feel.
the routine work pattern you listed would put me off as well.
but sadly we can't win in this situation.
there are only two options...study hard in order find a well paid job
or spend our time doing unskilled jobs like waitressing which is far from rewarding financially or emotionally.

Right thanks Trevor
Original post by driftawaay

- Get to work by 8

You could be a teacher? How have things worked out anyway??
when we start seeing work as a mountain climb
that can sap enthusiasm.
but if we want to survive and attain a higher quality of Life we will find the will to climb that mountain no matter how difficult it seems.
one we reach the peak its a case of moving forwards rather than down.
Original post by 0to100
Right thanks Trevor

did I detect a hint of cynicism in your answer otto?
Original post by Trevor Tea
did I detect a hint of cynicism in your answer otto?

Original post by john2054
You could be a teacher? How have things worked out anyway??

She's banned bros. She can't answer you. Just hover over her name, and tis thread was made ages ago
Original post by 0to100
She's banned bros. She can't answer you. Just hover over her name, and tis thread was made ages ago
oh right.
sorry I didn't know.
I wonder why she was banned?
I didn't see anything inappropriate in her original post.
its a pity she was banned cause I think she raised some valid points in her post.
oh well...never mind.
anyway thanks for the clarification otto.
regards
TT

Latest