Annaphora
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey! I'm sorry if I'm burdening any Tsrians (?) but like, I just need help with like 10 markers for Psychology because I don't want to fail Psychology T.T I'm doing like G541 questions atm and i've done this question and I'm just wondering if anyone could help? Lots of love X

A researcher wants to conduct an experiment to investigate if there is a difference in the memory ability of primary school pupils in the morning compared to the afternoon. Each pupil will be assessed in both the morning and the afternoon.

Memory ability of primary school students in this test could be measured using a word test. In the word test, each student would be given a list of twenty 5 lettered words and they would need to memorise as many words as possible in 20 minutes. The students would consist of both gender so, there would be 10 male students and 10 female student and they would be placed in an isolated room to avoid any noises which could affect their level of concentration while memorising the words. They would be given a piece of paper with the words on them which would be turned over and facing the blank side and once all students have received the paper, a stopwatch would be started and the students would turn the paper and start memorising the words. After 5 minutes, all the pieces of paper would be requested to turn the paper and these would be collected and be replaced by a blank piece of paper and would have 10 minutes to recall and write any words that have been memorised. This would be during the assessment in the morning. In the afternoon, the procedure would be repeated with the same students however, different twenty 5 lettered words would be used.
The test could cause stress to primary school students because they would not be able to memorise many words and could possibly feel frustrated and this stress could be overcome by not informing them that they are doing it as a form of assessment but rather as a game and this would make them feel more relaxed about the situation. Clearly, not being informed at all would be unethical therefore, after both assessments, the student and their parents could be informed and debriefed. Practice effects have also been reduced because different words have been used in both the assessments and this makes the results more reliable. Furthermore, the use of the same students in both assessments is very good because it reduces participant variables for example if one group which is tested in the morning, is very good at memorising words and therefore, would be able to memorise a higher number of words and this group is compared to another that is capable of memorising fewer words but does the assessment in the evening, a false conclusion could be made. Also, the use of the same group could result in the bored and fatigue effect so, the students may feel unentertained and would no longer put as much effort in memorising the words in the afternoon or after a long day at school, they could be too tired to memorising the words anymore hence resulting in fewer words being memorised and thus, invalid results.
Annaphora
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
OH FORGOT TO MENTION, the question is describe and evaluate one way in which memory could be measured in this investigation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (76)
15.11%
1 (69)
13.72%
2 (65)
12.92%
20.48%
20.28%
5 (88)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise