kpusa1981
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
"Not many people nowadays in the Photography industry are that successful without a degree. You need the facilities (dark room, studio and tons of other photographic equipment) which cost thousands of pounds and would be difficult to access without doing it at degree level. Also through doing a degree the lecturers are able to give you regular feedback. They are often still working Photographers in the industry so that way you are able to build up contacts via them and have the opportunity to have exhibitions and do work experience. So i disagree with you, much more likely to be successful as a photographer through doing a degree!" Midd11
How many professional photographers still use film cameras?
Common modern photography is a professional level digital camera, a computer, and a printer. I am not saying that all professional photographers use digital cameras now but many do. This also not say that professional digital cameras aren't expensive because they are. Many photographers do not have degrees in photography while others do.

"Equipment and facilities available while pursuing a degree I believe are not for commercial purposes, otherwise it's an abuse of privilege. Contacts, experience, feedback, are all fairly easily accessible, without the need for a degree in it.

Finally, "much more likely to be successful" is hardly a guarantee of success, and it doesn't rebut the claim that it's still reasonably useless. It is quite an idealistic fantasy neglecting to account for the competitiveness of the industry itself.

Reality check, top 10 of the world's best photographers/photojournalists, most if not all do not possess a degree in photography." mderi2012

Here, here!
snailsareslimy
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
What are you trying to say? That photographers don't need a degree?

I thought that was already pretty obvious
kpusa1981
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How many professional photographers still use film cameras?
Common equipment in a modern photography studio is a professional level digital camera, a computer, and a printer. I am not saying that all professional photographers only use digital cameras now, however, many do.
itemz
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
hi, I need someone to advice me on how to became a photographer by starting as an assistant to a professional photographer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (106)
34.3%
Yes - a trusted person (88)
28.48%
No (82)
26.54%
I'm not sure (33)
10.68%

Watched Threads