Best free/cheap email service

Watch
Schrodingersfrog
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Gerring sick of Yahoo wathing everything I do then spamming me to death based on it. Wish they'd mind thier ****ing business.

So there must be a reliable email service out there that does not spam and read your mails and that? I'd even consider paying for it (and I'm propper tight).

Any reccomendations?
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Gmail is much the same, I started looking for a replacement recently. Outlook.com (old Hotmail/Live) is alright, at least it doesn't prod into your emails and target adverts the same way some do. I think most of the decent free ones will be from companies like Microsoft who don't make their money from advertising and selling your data.
Schrodingersfrog
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by russellsteapot)
Gmail is much the same, I started looking for a replacement recently. Outlook.com (old Hotmail/Live) is alright, at least it doesn't prod into your emails and target adverts the same way some do. I think most of the decent free ones will be from companies like Microsoft who don't make their money from advertising and selling your data.
I still had a Hotmail account when it changed and I really don't like the new interface. Less is more when it come's to email, like the old yahoo I had been using for years was fine, this new one gets on my nerves.

Microsoft engage in advertising and snooping the same as the rest surely? But I have seen that they are looking to move away from it. I think tech companies are very blind to this, companies with privacy/security and control are going to win out over the likes of Google, Samsung and apple in the end.

Would you pay for email if you felt it was totally private?
Cal97g
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Gmail or pay me.
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Schrodingersfrog)
I still had a Hotmail account when it changed and I really don't like the new interface. Less is more when it come's to email, like the old yahoo I had been using for years was fine, this new one gets on my nerves.

Microsoft engage in advertising and snooping the same as the rest surely? But I have seen that they are looking to move away from it. I think tech companies are very blind to this, companies with privacy/security and control are going to win out over the likes of Google, Samsung and apple in the end.

Would you pay for email if you felt it was totally private?
I don't believe so, no; Microsoft makes their money from software so the email/web services are a bit secondary, whereas for Google and Yahoo it's their entire business. They scan emails for viruses/spam but that's about it, and they don't use targeted advertising or sell any data on. It still won't be entirely private as I assume they can raid emails for legal purposes, but it's much more private than Google or Yahoo.

I'd pay for an email service which was better. Privacy is nice, and I do find it irritating that Google scans me, but I suppose they have to make money somehow so it's my own fault for using it. My own priority would be a decent interface, which webmail companies seem determined to move away from in favour of hideous touch-friendly monstrosities, useless tabs, unhelpful features and whatnot.
NIMBAH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Buy a domain and sign up to office 365 or some other company offering exchange services.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GAZZAA!!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was recommended a started pack from names.co.uk

My email was hacked a while back so I was hesitant to sign-up to a free service. The starter pack is on £1.99 and has a tonne of features like anti virus & spam protection and you could even have a personalised email address!

http://www.names.co.uk/email-hosting.../starter-email

Hope this helps
Ana81
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mail.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by russellsteapot)
I've never had any issues with Gmail, personally. :dontknow:

Primarily, I use Outlook to access my email via IMAP, or the integrated functionality via Android smartphones - but evern when using the web interface I don't find that what advertising there is is at all obtrusive. Given that I use an Android phone a lot, having my email with a service that uses the same single sign-in is ideal.
digitalworkshed
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
AOL.com easy to register and fast.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (76)
17.84%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (123)
28.87%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.56%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.68%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.05%

Watched Threads