The Student Room Group

Retail Horror Stories

For those of you who work in retail, post your horror stories!
I myself have never worked in retail or anywhere else for that matter
I don't know why it would be a good idea, just thought I'd start a thread...

Scroll to see replies

There is already a thread about this called "annoying customers", but it is very old so perhaps it's time we had a new one anyway :p:
Reply 2
I asked a customer out, and then she stood me up. She called the next day to apologise, though.
Reply 3
Original post by snowyowl
There is already a thread about this called "annoying customers", but it is very old so perhaps it's time we had a new one anyway :p:

Didn't even know, lol. Ah well, maybe it is time to start a new one.
Someone did a **** on a stool in the restaurant I worked in. A girl I have known since primary (and not a particular looker) was in once and she was wearing a skirt with no underwear on and she was not exactly sitting in a very conservative fashion either. Oh yeah the other day, this really greasy couple were having a passionate snog once and a random old guy stood up and roared 'get him out he has an erection the filthy boy!' the couple were then banned hahah. I just left and I miss seeing freaky stuff like that. It used to happen all the time. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by StrangestThings
Someone did a sh*t on a stool in the restaurant I worked in. A girl I have known since primary (and not a particular looker) was in once and she was wearing a skirt with no underwear on and she was not exactly sitting in a very conservative fashion either. Oh yeah the other day, this really greasy couple were having a passionate snog once and a random old guy stood up and roared 'get him out he has an erection the filthy boy!' the couple were then banned hahah. I just left and I miss seeing freaky stuff like that. It used to happen all the time. :frown:

That sounds like a classy establishment.
Original post by LickingCarpet
That sounds like a classy establishment.

Oh it is. You gotta love 'em. It's given me hella life experiences.
Working in retail was the most demoralising experience I've ever endured. The shortest job I ever had was in a well known sportswear establishment (...) and there was literally nothing to do all day so the manager got me to go around and check EVERY SINGLE ITEM OF STOCK for a price tag. After that was done (and some hours later), there was still nothing to do so she got me to do it all again except to check for a security tag. I went and had a small weep in the changing rooms.

A week or so later it had gotten so bad I was seriously considering harming myself just to get out of work (lol), so in the end I just told my manager I was seriously ill and could never come back again. They paid me 'til the end of the month.

Never again.
There are times when you think what the hell did you ask me but when you go home you have a giggle at the stuff they do ask. One of my friends got asked if we sold dildo rails. Also the other day I got asked something on the escalator while I was going up and she was going down. I am deaf so didn't really hear her but even so it's happend before I lost this amount of hearing and you still can't understand them. Why do they do that man.

I could write a book about the place I work at and was considering to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel so sorry for people who have to deal directly with customers, because they end up being the punching bag that has to deal with all the abuse and complaints.

While I was on holiday this girl who worked at a shoe store was being shouted at by some big american oaf and she looked like she was about to burst into tears.
once i was browsing some gilets in hollister and a vampire comes out of the dark and ****ing just goes and bites me on the leg! twat.
Nightmare in Aisle 13
Reply 12
Not had any particularly incidents that I would deem as horror, had fair few customers shout at me, been called a liar. Oh I did have about 5litres of yoghurt dropped on me and had a 2litre lemonade bottle explode in my face but that's about it....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StrangestThings
Oh it is. You gotta love 'em. It's given me hella life experiences.

What type of restaurant is it out of interest?
Nothing too bad, though I do habitually get this exchange:

Me: What would you like?

Person: I'll have a tea, and my friend's in the toilets. She'll have a water.

*half an hour later, friend comes up to pay with a face like thunder*

Friend: I never got my lemonade!

Me: -_-

And then I have to apologise, while my irritatingly perky boss chirps 'The customer is always right!' from the kitchen.

Also, nobody knows how to order coffee. YOU CAN'T JUST SAY 'COFFEE.' WE SERVE TEN DIFFERENT TYPES OF COFFEE, ALL VERY DIFFERENT FROM EACH OTHER. AND 'COFFEE WITH MILK' DOES NOT HELP ME EITHER.
Original post by LickingCarpet
What type of restaurant is it out of interest?

A family restaurant. I can't disclose any names of course haha, but it wasn't a fast-food restaurant if that's whatcha thinking.

Thinking about it the staff were probably crazier then some of the customers. On my first day this woman who is 64 was telling me how she took back a 'toy' because she was using it in the shower and it broke.
Original post by paradoxicalme

Also, nobody knows how to order coffee. YOU CAN'T JUST SAY 'COFFEE.' WE SERVE TEN DIFFERENT TYPES OF COFFEE, ALL VERY DIFFERENT FROM EACH OTHER. AND 'COFFEE WITH MILK' DOES NOT HELP ME EITHER.

Haha I sympathise. I hate it when the customer gets all up in your grill when you have to ask them which coffee and what size they'd like. I also hate it when they say something like the frothy one or the weak one. Oh okay it's not like we don't have about 4 coffees that could meet that description. *PUNCH IN THE NOSE*
Original post by Sanddancerlass

I could write a book about the place I work at and was considering to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We should publish our stories! The world needs to know what goes on in the bizarre world of retail :smile:
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Working in retail was the most demoralising experience I've ever endured. The shortest job I ever had was in a well known sportswear establishment (...) and there was literally nothing to do all day so the manager got me to go around and check EVERY SINGLE ITEM OF STOCK for a price tag. After that was done (and some hours later), there was still nothing to do so she got me to do it all again except to check for a security tag. I went and had a small weep in the changing rooms.

A week or so later it had gotten so bad I was seriously considering harming myself just to get out of work (lol), so in the end I just told my manager I was seriously ill and could never come back again. They paid me 'til the end of the month.

Never again.

Being paid to walk around a store doing nothing would be brilliant for me:biggrin: Thought it must have been pretty boring...
Original post by pinda.college
Being paid to walk around a store doing nothing would be brilliant for me:biggrin: Thought it must have been pretty boring...

It was SO boring I actually cried. Like, there's nothing wrong per se with not having anything to do, but you had to stand for 8 hours on your feet on the shop floor doing nothing ALL day. And you knew the jobs you were given were just busy work which made it so much worse.

Quick Reply

Latest