Should we use embryonic stem cells to treat disease?

Watch
BailaS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Let me start off by apologising, because I think this should probably be in the debates forum. However I don't want this to be a debate, though it will probably become one.

I am writing an article, and I simply want opinions on whether or not people think that they should be used or not to treat diseases, plus reasons why would be good too. I need both for and against so post any ideas you have .

Thanks!
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Damn right they should and I can't think of a single logical argument against it.
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes.

The same logic is implied on organ donation. The way I see it, once I am dead I am no good to anyone and why should my organs be allowed to rot in the ground?
Embryonic stem cells are obtained through two means:

Abortion - Stem cells are harvested with permission from the "parents"of the "child".
From the umbilical cord - Same method, just not as many can be harvested.

These cells can become any part of the human body and it will significantly decrease the amount of people dying due to lack of organs.

EDIT:
Soon, I am going to apply for blood and organ donation, I would like to become a bone marrow donor too but, it kind of scares me knowing you have to be given anesthetic, them cut my pelvic area open until they hit bone and drill to get to the gooey inside which they need. D=
Don't know how often you are allowed to do it but most patients take 3-4 days to recover.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes. Religion and to some degree ethics should not stand in the way of progress.
LibbyG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Yes.

The same logic is implied on organ donation. The way I see it, once I am dead I am no good to anyone and why should my organs be allowed to rot in the ground?
Embryonic stem cells are obtained through two means:

Abortion - Stem cells are harvested with permission from the "parents"of the "child".

These cells can become any part of the human body and it will significantly decrease the amount of people dying due to lack of organs.
Completely agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
FlavaFavourFruit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think so but I'm on the fence tbh...

These embroynic cells can't actually turn into a foetus unless it's inserted into a uterus so therefore, it's just a ball of cells...which I think religion mixes it up with "life."

It can save lives and improve quality of life! If we can withdraw life-saving treatment (water, antibiotics)from the elderly suffering, why can't affect life from the beginning of the life cycle?
Racoon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I feel there is a bigger emotional cost between the two above depending on your outlook on life.

I would wonder how a person would feel having stem cells from an aborted, possibly unwanted, baby as opposed to say 'waste product' from a live birth.

I have an unease with the first but totally agree with the second.
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Racoon)
I feel there is a bigger emotional cost between the two above depending on your outlook on life.

I would wonder how a person would feel having stem cells from an aborted, possibly unwanted, baby as opposed to say 'waste product' from a live birth.

I have an unease with the first but totally agree with the second.
Would you apply the same logic if the cells came from an aborted foetus from a mother who had discovered she had cancer and had to abort in order to save her life?
Racoon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Would you apply the same logic if the cells came from an aborted foetus from a mother who had discovered she had cancer and had to abort in order to save her life?

Tricky one. I honestly don't know. Logically I should say yes as ultimately the stem cells could be used to save further lives and possibly the mother who had to loose the baby could have some peace of mind knowing not all was lost.
BailaS
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks these opinions are very helpful
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Racoon)
Tricky one. I honestly don't know. Logically I should say yes as ultimately the stem cells could be used to save further lives and possibly the mother who had to loose the baby could have some peace of mind knowing not all was lost.
Not saying I know that much about what goes on hospital but I thought all foetuses were treated as medical waste?
I don't believe you can have a funeral for something which has technically (scientifically speaking) been alive and thereby is simply discarded/incinerated?

EDIT:
By this I mean the baby never had a birth certificate, a record of being born and thereby a recording of dying?
Racoon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not saying I know that much about what goes on hospital but I thought all foetuses were treated as medical waste?
I don't believe you can have a funeral for something which has technically (scientifically speaking) been alive and thereby is simply discarded/incinerated?

EDIT:
By this I mean the baby never had a birth certificate, a record of being born and thereby a recording of dying?
I don't know, all I do know is I cannot read this without feeling sick but then this is off topic and has more to do with my sensitivities than the facts of the matter asked.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (152)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (457)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (346)
11.15%
Lack of purpose or motivation (432)
13.92%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (147)
4.74%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (187)
6.03%
Loneliness (267)
8.6%
Financial worries (111)
3.58%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (125)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (141)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (170)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (276)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (292)
9.41%

Watched Threads