The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil in Finance and Economics 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by casusa
Hi :smile:

It took 2-3 days from my last referee submitted his reference to the status had changed to "under consideration by the degree committe", but this was in November and I will think that if you applied in January it wil take longer.

Reply 21
why do you think it is just a formality?
Reply 22
I applied to this course in early October. Got a reply from them today. Wait listed :/ don't really know how to feel about that lol
Reply 23
Original post by rsj75
I applied to this course in early October. Got a reply from them today. Wait listed :/ don't really know how to feel about that lol

Does it simply say waitlisted?.. crazy. Would you mind sharing your profile?
Reply 24
It seems that things are starting to finally move. My status has just changed to: Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies.
Reply 25
Original post by ony92
It seems that things are starting to finally move. My status has just changed to: Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies.

wow I guess this mean you aill get an offer in a few days.. Congratulation!
Reply 26
Original post by rsj75

Did they say anything else?
Reply 27
Original post by casusa
Congratulations! You are in :smile: more or less, now it is just a formality. When did you apply?

I have applied in early November. I am a bit surprised to be among the first people to receive the offer as my profile is not extremely strong.
Reply 28
Original post by casusa
Would be interesting to know your profile, do you mind sharing it?

I'm in my 3rd year of Bachelor in Economics at a Uni in Central Europe. It's the best programme in the country but virtually unknown abroad, so no brand name here. It has, however, good reputation in Econ department at Cambridge - several our undergraduates go there for masters every year and there are also several current Phd students with undergrad from our institution there.

That being said the degree is heavily quantitative - 2.5 year of rigorous math, one year of statistics etc. So it would be called Mathematical economics by British standards.

I only stand out by my academic performance, everything else in the application was pretty much dismal and they don't seem to care about it at all.

I really messed up GRE: V: 153 Q: 168 AWA: 3.0 :angry: and I expected not to be accepted solely because of it as they mention 4.0+ AWA as a requirement.

My reasoning in the application was really weak - career goals can be summarized as "I have no idea what I want to do whatsoever, maybe City" and the reason for applying was something like "I'm the best and I want to study with similarly intelligent people". So no mention of research topic or something like that.

My academic performance is pretty much as good as it can be. I have overall GPA equivalent of 3.9 but the only time I got B's was in the first semester from courses not really connected to economics (intro to sociology). In the first year I was among 10% of the best students but probably in the top 5% or even less as there was no further differentiation. In the second year I did more courses than anyone else (102 credits vs. 60 usual) and pretty much topped all of them including all the major ones -Micro, Macro etc. and some by a large margin (e.g. 1 year long Micro with 99% whereas the second best score was 88%). Thus I have completed the usual amount of credits for the whole bachelor degree in the first 2 years and I devote the last year for courses I like - some at master level (Stochastic processes). Overall I was the best in a class of 150 people (and even of the whole econ department - 700 people - but I did not know this when I applied). I have written most of my bachelor thesis before the start of the 3rd year with some advanced econometrics involved (BVAR).

My recommendations were not even from the most senior people (Professors) but from Associate Professors in whose classes I was the best. One of them studied at Cambridge back when it was crowded by Nobel laureates and had some of them as supervisors. Both of them knew me personally pretty well.

I hope it is helpful and that you will also soon receive your offers!
Reply 29
In their email to me they just stated that the board hasnt been able to reach a final decision as of this moment. And theyre placing my application on hold, and will re assess it again along with other applications on the wait list. Any decision made would be made known to me by April. Anyway can anyone venture on my chances now ? I guess its atleast better than being rejected outright.

My profile is as follows. 1st Class honours in Economics from The University of Manchester (2013 graduate). An internship with a securities firm (Trading and Risk). 2 months with a boutique IB. Currently with RBS India.

good luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by ony92
x!

The economics department places a very big emphasis on academics and loves people at or near the top of the class. Well done on your pending offer!

To the guys on the waitlist: as someone else posted earlier, most people seem to end up on the waitlist, with exceptional academic performers like ony92 getting earlier offers. The good news is that the weaker applications get rejected early too so you guys are certainly in with a chance. The waiting won't be fun though, but good luck!
Reply 31
Just to keep the track: my condition of the offer is only "You must attend a pre-sessional course from 15th September 2014".
On a positive note, I will most likely not take any place for the course from you guys because it seems I was also accepted to the Mphil in finance. The Mphil in econ and finance was more or less just a contingency plan if I was not accepted there.
We will probably meet with those of you accepted at the pre-sessional course as these Mphils should share it.

I hope you will receive your positive offers soon!
Reply 32
Original post by ony92
Just to keep the track: my condition of the offer is only "You must attend a pre-sessional course from 15th September 2014".
On a positive note, I will most likely not take any place for the course from you guys because it seems I was also accepted to the Mphil in finance. The Mphil in econ and finance was more or less just a contingency plan if I was not accepted there.
We will probably meet with those of you accepted at the pre-sessional course as these Mphils should share it.

It just took one day from the awaiting status to conditional offer? I found that my status had changed into awaiting decision by board of graduate studies just now......I applied for the Mphil Finance as well but there was still no change in status (still "Under Consideration by Department" ). Did they change your status of the Mphil Finance application yesterday?

BTW, big cong to your success!
Reply 33
Original post by teddyyuan
It just took one day from the awaiting status to conditional offer? I found that my status had changed into awaiting decision by board of graduate studies just now......I applied for the Mphil Finance as well but there was still no change in status (still "Under Consideration by Department" ). Did they change your status of the Mphil Finance application yesterday?

BTW, big cong to your success!

When did you apply? It seems to me that only peopla that applied early around October/November received a reply so far. I applied in around Mid-December and my status is unchanged.
Reply 34
Original post by ony92

How did you find out about your offers? Email, Camsis? Congrats!
Reply 35
Original post by makesure
When did you apply? It seems to me that only peopla that applied early around October/N”ovember received a reply so far. I applied in around Mid-December and my status is unchanged.

november
Reply 36
Original post by makesure
How did you find out about your offers? Email, Camsis? Congrats!

No email so far, you have to check camsis.
The step from under consideration by board of graduate studies to conditional offer took less than a day but it can be just a coincidance.
The Mphil in Finance status has changed to Application with Degree Committee aroung noon today.
Reply 37
Out of curiosity, have they sent out any rejections yet?
Reply 38
Not that I have heard of. Still waiting on a response myself, having applied around Nov 22nd.
Reply 39
Original post by ony92
No email so far, you have to check camsis.
The step from under consideration by board of graduate studies to conditional offer took less than a day but it can be just a coincidance.
The Mphil in Finance status has changed to Application with Degree Committee aroung noon today.

Do you have any Non-standard academic cond ? I received an conditional offer today but I found that the condition is very high for me...
Still no change for the Mphil Finance one, it seems that they are not going to accept me...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending