?
Report 5 years ago
:rofl2:

IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The last world class English footballer was Paul Scholes up until a few years ago. Right now there are no world class players playing from England, but Rooney is probably the closest ... he is world class on his day just not always consistent with it.
xDave-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Jones isn't going to be able to realise any of his potential unless he plays at CB. That's unlikely to happen with United's CM and RB issues, so I think United are gonna destroy him. CBs tend to mature later into their careers though, so there's still a chance. Of the U21 potential world class defenders, I'd probably only put Nastasic above him. Varane would be if he could stay fit, though Jones can rarely stay fit either. Marquinhos has been benched by PSG recently, but he's a fair bit younger so it's unfair to compare him to them right now.

As for anywhere else... Well, I think you're kidding yourself if you think England have potential world class players in the making. There are a few that look alright: Barkley, Wilshere, Shaw... that's all I can think of. But if you look at what they're doing now compared to what actual world class players in the making are doing (e.g. Pogba, Isco,Verratti, Alaba etc etc), then I'm not very convinced. Shaw is much younger than the rest though, so he still has time, but a LB isn't going to be setting the world alight.
little_tom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
These days people are more loose with their definitions of "world class". IMO, a world class player is a player that can get into any starting XI in the world. By those standards we don't have a world class player. Rooney is not world class, he has not performed on the international stage in any major tournament he has performed in.
baconbutty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by little_tom)
These days people are more loose with their definitions of "world class". IMO, a world class player is a player that can get into any starting XI in the world. By those standards we don't have a world class player. Rooney is not world class, he has not performed on the international stage in any major tournament he has performed in.
Euro 2004
trrr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Rooney was world class imo in the 09/10 season.
Stannisbaratheon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Zat knight
goldie56
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Downing

Carroll

And of course Welbeck
Stannisbaratheon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mike Williamson ( next Beckenbauer)
mattcam94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Rooney is the only world class player. have lots of potential though.

Will Hughes, Jones, Zaha, Welbeck, Sturridge, Sterling, Ox if he manages to get games, Shaw.
Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Funny how Joe Hart was unanimously one of the best keepers in the world a year ago... a tricky season or so and now he isn't. Football fans, as fickle as fickle can be, and they have the gall to criticize owners for sacking managers too soon.
FinnianC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think he's world class, but (up until recently, at least) I'd say Ashley Cole was one of the best LBs in the world. This isn't because he's particularly exceptional, but is largely because there are so few great left backs around.

Just thought I'd qualify this with the fact that I detest the guy.

Other than that I really don't see any world class in the English ranks at all.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Rooney is the only player close to world class.

Whenever I'm in Spain, I see kids playing one touch football with coke cans in the street. No wonder the country produce so many exceptional footballers. Sadly British players are way behind when it comes to technical ability. This has been a known problem for years, but no one is willing to do much about it other than talk a lot of hot air.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IdeasForLife)
Barkley has potential.
This sums up what it wrong with English football.
IAmABaws
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ronaldo

Posted from TSR Mobile
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think when people talk about 'world class' they often overemphasise international tournaments: sure they are important, but making judgements on such a small sample size of a player's career would give you some unusual results: Messi for instance has never really done a lot in a major international tournament, Giggs and before him George Weah never made one, on the other hand you could rate a guy like Miroslav Klose very highly, or guys that have had big success in international tournaments but then never been that big over a consistent club career: eg Karel Poborsky or Milan Baros.

I think to judge world class you have to take in to consideration performance at the top level which includes Champions League, international tournaments but also performances in a major domestic league eg La Liga, Premier League, Bundesliga or Serie A.

So I think at particular points in their career you could put Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Ashley Cole, Ferdinand and Terry in the world class category but not in the very elite world class category, ie the upper echelons inhabited by the all time greats, where you would put both Ronaldos, Zidane, Messi, Ronaldinho, etc.

I don't think there has ever been an England player right in that category. At their best, Kevin Keegan and Gary Lineker were amongst the top players in Europe, but thats about as close as it has got.
Seathestars
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Rooney on his day. Gerrard in his prime. Barkley definitely has the potential to be, as does Luke Shaw.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (334)
15.62%
The paper was reasonable (1166)
54.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (462)
21.61%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
8.23%

Watched Threads