Ancient History and Archaeology at St Andrews?

Watch
MacShepherd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys,

I've applied for Ancient History and Archaeology at St Andrews and it's my second choice behind Magdalen, Oxford, but I'm not sure how well the Archaeology is taught here. The University is very good at teaching Ancient History (5th in the league tables) but it doesn't appear anywhere on the Archaeology subject table. I'm not sure if this is because Archaeology is a small course here or whether it is taught bad. Does anyone know how well the Archaeology course is taught here?

(I have 4 A's and 1 B from my Scottish Highers)

Mac
oldlady
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MacShepherd)
Hey guys,

I've applied for Ancient History and Archaeology at St Andrews and it's my second choice behind Magdalen, Oxford, but I'm not sure how well the Archaeology is taught here. The University is very good at teaching Ancient History (5th in the league tables) but it doesn't appear anywhere on the Archaeology subject table. I'm not sure if this is because Archaeology is a small course here or whether it is taught bad. Does anyone know how well the Archaeology course is taught here?

Mac
Have you read their page about undergraduate archaeology? http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/classics...undergraduate/ They are pretty open about the fact that it's not a full professional training and they don't cover all aspects. If you wanted a career in archaeology you'd need to do further training. That said, quite a lot of professional archaeologists start with a history or classics degree anyway and then do postgrad archaeology. My son's been on a few digs before starting (he's doing mediaeval history and arch) and was advised by the archaeolgists he met that it was a good course and would keep his options open between history and archaeology.
username941859
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys,

Mac
Yes as oldlady said you can do some archeological courses but not a full degree. There are some fantastic archeology modules you can do with in Ancient History and Classical Studies at honours level, such as the Archeology of Minoan Crete and I believe you can go on digs with the university.
ElizabethRG
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys,

Mac
In 1st and 2nd year, Archaeology is incorporated into the ancient history course. In AN1001, it's a week (so 3 lectures) here and there, and it's not particularly well-taught either (it didn't come up on the exam, thankfully). I'm hoping for better next semester… At Honours Level you can take subjects specifically about archaeology (eg. Archaeology of Minioan Crete). I would actually say the Classics dept. is poorly organised in comparison to the History dept, but it must figure itself out by Honours level to have the reputation it does.

If it's what you like, you'll probably be able to stick it through. But at least in AN1001, there's no practical element. It's just memorising maps of Athens and learning what colour pots came from which places (obviously important, but not quite as engaging as practical archaeology).
MariaGiraldo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi! I've also applied for Archaeology with Ancient History at both St Andrews and Oxford. Oxford rejected me but still waiting to hear from St Andrews. The wait is killing me
MacShepherd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by MariaGiraldo)
Hi! I've also applied for Archaeology with Ancient History at both St Andrews and Oxford. Oxford rejected me but still waiting to hear from St Andrews. The wait is killing me
Oxford rejected me as well. The interview went excellently, but I didn't get in. They don't give offers until the 15th at least.
username941859
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oxford rejected me as well. The interview went excellently, but I didn't get in. They don't give offers until the 15th at least.
Clearly didn't go as excellently as you thought.

Yeah the 15th is the minimum. If you're RUK or Home/EU you could hear in March.
la_banane_verte
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't be expecting offers to start flooding out just because the UCAS deadline for applications has gone. The admissions staff still have to read through all those applications and decide which ones to make offers to, and if you think how many application they receive, that's definitely going to take some time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (374)
56.33%
I don't have everything I need (290)
43.67%

Watched Threads