How long would it take you to learn/memorise french vocabulary? Watch

Frannoooooooo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How long would it take you to learn vocab? say 1,500 different words for example. By this I don't mean an essay that is 1,500 words long, I mean a list of various nouns/verbs/adjectives etc (French)
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends how much of it you want to retain. Learning 1500 words is easily doable in a week, but I can guarantee you'll have forgotten it all three weeks later if you don't practice it all the time. If you do want to remember it for a while, have a look at spaced repetition and stuff like Anki, FullRecall, SuperMemo, etc. You'll find more info on here, and one last thing, make sure you use your vocab in context. It's easy to learn flashcards, but it's pointless if you can't use the word you learnt! Good luck
EmyJ14
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When I learnt vocab for GCSE Italian last year I set myself a target of 30 words per day, six days a week on the build up to my exam- so 180 words a week. At this pace, it would in theory take me just over eight weeks to learn 1,500 words, reviewing them as I went. Seeing how many words a day you're comfortable with is a good start to planning how long it'd take you
YellowJane
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends on how fast you retain things. With my other subjects, I only have time to learn about 40 words of German and 20 or so words of Russian every week. It can take a long time to get them into your LONG term memory, you see. It took me about four weeks to learn 330 or so words, fluently, so I could understand and say them without thinking too hard. French is the same as any language that way, so just go at your own pace. The important thing is that it sticks )
Fleteacher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with all the previous answers.

If you have a hard time to memorize, follow a step-by-step method: give yourself reachable goals. Start by memorizing a few words. Quiz yourself a few times a day. It does not need to be long and you can do that while waiting at the doctor's, in a bus, walking on the street... If you can remember the words, add two more, and quiz yourself from the beginning... It is better to learn less and know perfectly the spelling, than trying to memorize everything and retaining little.

Repetition, repetition, repetition... If you stop practicing, your short term memory will erase the information. The memorization process has three steps: short-term memory (such as "my doctor's appointment is Monday at 2pm, once you went there, the info is erased to make room for new content), long-term memory, muscle memory (when you can use and master the material).

Bon courage !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.65%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.39%
Not great so far... (212)
35.63%
I want to drop out! (115)
19.33%

Watched Threads