The Student Room Group

what subjects should i pick?!?

im in year 9 and we're picking our subjects next month and i don't know which ones to pick so could anyone give me an idea. i think i want to be a psychologist so should i do psychology or sociology and would geographyoir history be better for psychology.
also any experience on the sort of things u do as a gcse in these subjects
Look at entry requirements for degrees in psychology. They might not give many specific a level subjects, but read around the site and see what skills they need. Work backwards, get an idea what a levels you need then just pick gcses you like. If in doubt, go with what you enjoy, or pick subjects that would widen your view, like the ones you mentioned above :smile: Geography would probably be more useful than history..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LuLuoregon
im in year 9 and we're picking our subjects next month and i don't know which ones to pick so could anyone give me an idea. i think i want to be a psychologist so should i do psychology or sociology and would geographyoir history be better for psychology.
also any experience on the sort of things u do as a gcse in these subjects

you should pick sociology and psychology and history. im studying history and overall its a good subject for nearly anything and yeah :smile:
Pick whatever you feel you'll enjoy and do the best in as at this stage, your subject choices don't matter too much as long as you have English, maths and science :smile:

However as Sheepish153 suggested, try looking at university entry requirements and a level subjects if you want to get more of an idea of what subjects to do and what you think will benefit you most.
Language might be useful...
Just pick subjects you enjoy doing - but to keep your A level options open pick a couple of more academic subjects like History since these help you with the essay skills you will need for your A levels. History would probably be slightly more relevant than Geography, but tbh just go with whichever you prefer. You are unlikely to require many specific GCSE subjects to study certain subjects at A level/ degree level - however check out your sixth form's requirements for subjects you may be interested in just in case.
It's quite early at this stage in your education to have a firm idea of what career you want to do, and so keeping your options open and picking subjects you enjoy is the most important thing. Also, try to pick those you are good at - when it comes to applying to university they are mainly interested in your overall GCSE grades more than the subjects...

Quick Reply

Latest