Should acid-throwing warrant an automatic life sentence? Watch

Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
It's such a heinous crime, designed not only to cause pain but to disfigure a person for life.

So when its effects are serious/severe (i.e. not just landing on their clothes but severely disfiguring the victim), should it not warrant an automatic life sentence?

I mean, you're not going to get 40 years for it - but I think a life sentence with a minimum term of 15-20 years is fair for such an attack.

Thoughts?
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
it should definitely be sentenced severely.
Handles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hmm. Yes, I think so. The effects of such an attack are rather frightening, as it would cause the victim a great deal of trauma, perhaps for the rest of their life. Thankfully face transplants and facial reconstructive surgery are developing at quite a fair rate, but even so, the mental damage it could cause may last for many years after the physical damage has been attended to. So yes, I believe it should warrant an automatic life sentence.
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think that's fair, same as if someone disfigured a victim with bleach, sandpaper, blades etc.

Since the impact on the victim is severe, so should the sentence be
VK96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am 100% serious when I say yes it definitely should - one of the worst crimes anyone can commit in terms of the consequences which follow for the victim.
pixie girl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It should definitely have a severe penalty, the mental consequences for the victim are awful and they will probably have scars for the rest of their lives. However I think it is one of those crimes where rehabilitation is definitely needed as well as life, or they're most likely going to do it again as soon as they come out
bertstare
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Most definitely yes
TheTranshumanist
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely.
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd rather just shoot them, but sure.
VK96
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pixie girl)
It should definitely have a severe penalty, the mental consequences for the victim are awful and they will probably have scars for the rest of their lives. However I think it is one of those crimes where rehabilitation is definitely needed as well as life, or they're most likely going to do it again as soon as they come out
Do you think that instead of rehabilitation this is one of those crimes which deserves the death penalty?
Not advocating it just wanted to see what arguments for and against it were e.g. money being spent on the criminal's rehabilitation when the victim suffers for the rest of their lives.
FlavaFavourFruit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah agreed.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VK96)
Do you think that instead of rehabilitation this is one of those crimes which deserves the death penalty?
Not advocating it just wanted to see what arguments for and against it were e.g. money being spent on the criminal's rehabilitation when the victim suffers for the rest of their lives.
I think it definitely deserves a long time in jail at the least. I'm a supporter of the death penalty but I'm unsure whether I'd advocate it for this. On one hand the perpetrator didn't kill anyone but on the other he/she set out to utterly destroy someone's life. I'd be interested in other people's arguments.
786:)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree with you for sure!
TurboCretin
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not only is acid-throwing one of the most heinous acts I can imagine, it's one of the most cold-blooded. You don't throw acid in someone's face in a fit of rage. It's sinister, it's pre-meditated and anyone who can countenance something like that deserves to rot in a cell.
2ndClass
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I believe so
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely.
Skip_Snip
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably get excused on 'cultural grounds', looking at most of the perps...
pixie girl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VK96)

I think the death penalty is maybe too severe, I don't really agree with the death penalty anyway but even less so in this case; as awful as the crime is, they didn't actually set out to kill anybody and probably just didn't understand the consequences of their actions. Also money being spent could be a good thing as it stops other potential victims suffering for the rest of their lives without going so far as to end another life.
No Man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Definitely. It's even worse than murder imo.
VK96
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pixie girl)
I think the death penalty is maybe too severe, I don't really agree with the death penalty anyway but even less so in this case; as awful as the crime is, they didn't actually set out to kill anybody and probably just didn't understand the consequences of their actions. Also money being spent could be a good thing as it stops other potential victims suffering for the rest of their lives without going so far as to end another life.
Hmm I just can't imagine what went through their mind when they were acquiring the acid, they must have been looking at different types, which is most effective, all those messed up mind-processes.

Is rehabilitation worth it when clearly there is an inherent problem mentally which the criminal knew was going to destroy the victim's life?

I would post images of the severity of disfigurements caused but I imagine that could be too much for some members here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (185)
61.06%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.96%
No- I want it (84)
27.72%
No- I don't want it (22)
7.26%

Watched Threads