The Student Room Group

Changing friendship groups?

I'm in a bit of a weird place at the moment... I'm in my second year of sixth form and I've realised I don't really like my current friends, we just don't have that much in common and I only really hung out with them because I knew them from my old school. I have my close friends who go to different colleges but they're the people I do most stuff with outside of college.

I really want to get in a new friendship group but I don't know how to approach it? There's people around college that I'm friends with and have a chat to but I don't really know a group of people, it kind of just random people I know from going out and stuff.

Basically, I've tired my classes, there's no one I've really 'clicked with' - to be fair there's only about 10 boys across all 3 of my classes, and joining any clubs in college is not possible because of work.

So how can I make new new friends? Anyone have experience with changing friendship groups? It just feels awkward trying to fit in with people I've never met... also it kind of feels too late.. :s-smilie:, should I just push myself? I don't feel like I'm making the most of college at the moment...
Original post by benbonigan
I'm in a bit of a weird place at the moment... I'm in my second year of sixth form and I've realised I don't really like my current friends, we just don't have that much in common and I only really hung out with them because I knew them from my old school. I have my close friends who go to different colleges but they're the people I do most stuff with outside of college.

I really want to get in a new friendship group but I don't know how to approach it? There's people around college that I'm friends with and have a chat to but I don't really know a group of people, it kind of just random people I know from going out and stuff.

Basically, I've tired my classes, there's no one I've really 'clicked with' - to be fair there's only about 10 boys across all 3 of my classes, and joining any clubs in college is not possible because of work.

So how can I make new new friends? Anyone have experience with changing friendship groups? It just feels awkward trying to fit in with people I've never met... also it kind of feels too late.. :s-smilie:, should I just push myself? I don't feel like I'm making the most of college at the moment...

What about joining clubs?

What extra-curricular activities does your college provide that you might be interested in?
Reply 2
I tried to join the football team but missed the try outs so I couldn't, so not really an option unfortunately :/
Hello
I did this and I did it by smiling at people and making random conversation.
It is never too late. Especially at your age. Best of luck
Reply 4
Original post by Amandablanks
Hello
I did this and I did it by smiling at people and making random conversation.
It is never too late. Especially at your age. Best of luck

Thanks for replying :smile: how long did it take you?
Original post by benbonigan
Thanks for replying :smile: how long did it take you?

Not long really I had a period of panic for maybe a few weeks but I gradually got to know new people. Don't rush it. If you relax within yourself and stay positive everything will work out. I have met people in the library/ canteen before. One struck up a convo with me and another I struck up a convo with.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
wait for uni.
Reply 7
Do you really choose your friendship group?

I just chill with people who I enjoy spending time with, I've been friends with my "Friendship" group for about 15 Years now and that has involved moving to secondary and sixth form, moving schools and moving to uni and we have been friends.

When i moved school for example I naturally started to make friends with the football people and formed a friendship with them, same with uni. I know have 3 good solid group of friends who i never "tried" to make, it just happened.
Reply 8
Original post by Kutta
Do you really choose your friendship group?

I just chill with people who I enjoy spending time with, I've been friends with my "Friendship" group for about 15 Years now and that has involved moving to secondary and sixth form, moving schools and moving to uni and we have been friends.

When i moved school for example I naturally started to make friends with the football people and formed a friendship with them, same with uni. I know have 3 good solid group of friends who i never "tried" to make, it just happened.

I know what you mean, it's not that I struggle to make friends, it's more that I'm having difficulty finding a group to fit into as all current new friends are scattered around if you know what I mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending