The Student Room Group

Pharmacy reconsideration

Hi, just got an email from Track and my first choice, manchester uni have rejected me :frown: i am so gutted after just recieving an offer from durham, who are my 2nd choice.

i am a third yr applicant, which obviously is frowned upon, but i had medical reasons. I had to get treatment three times a week in hospital due to skin problems and this really affected my confidence and motivation.

I got BCC but i was very close to ABC- 12 ums in (chem law biology)
now this yr i require AABBD in 5 exams to get AAB.
this i think is achievable considering when my condition frist started and at its worst i had DEE. My skin problem was now under control and it was good that i was more aware of it
therefore i had 14 exams this summer achieving 7As 1b 3Cs D E U
. I will be doing 8 exams this yr and i know i can get aabbd in 5 of them.
i feel so gutted:frown:
Also say they dont reconsider, are manchester in adjustment for pharmacy?I am almost sure i will get atleast aab. Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
You are only eligible for Adjustment if you exceed your firm offer. If Durham offered you their standard AAB and you firmed them, then you would need AAA to try Adjustment.

An alternative approach would be to get the grades you think you are capable of, take a gap year and re-apply for 2015 entry.
Reply 2
I looked at the clearing page last results day and I don't think Manchester was on there unfortunately, it is very competitive for Pharmacy. Was your medical reason in your reference?

It's great that you've already got a Durham offer, they have the same number of places as last year I think and apparently last year they didn't give out that many offers at all. Durham is a beautiful university, very very highly ranked in league tables, I'm sure you'd do brilliantly there. It depends on what you like though really, personally I absolutely hated Manchester, horrible city, no proper 'campus' as such, accommodation was vile and the pharmacy talk was so uninspiring, oh and apparently it's a lot more problem based learning than other uni's (less proper teaching). I wanted to go there originally but after the open day I decided not to apply at all. Each to their own though
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
You are only eligible for Adjustment if you exceed your firm offer. If Durham offered you their standard AAB and you firmed them, then you would need AAA to try Adjustment.

An alternative approach would be to get the grades you think you are capable of, take a gap year and re-apply for 2015 entry.

Thats the thing, i would only put unis asking for abb as firm if manc was in adjustment
Reply 4
Original post by demetria
I looked at the clearing page last results day and I don't think Manchester was on there unfortunately, it is very competitive for Pharmacy. Was your medical reason in your reference?

It's great that you've already got a Durham offer, they have the same number of places as last year I think and apparently last year they didn't give out that many offers at all. Durham is a beautiful university, very very highly ranked in league tables, I'm sure you'd do brilliantly there. It depends on what you like though really, personally I absolutely hated Manchester, horrible city, no proper 'campus' as such, accommodation was vile and the pharmacy talk was so uninspiring, oh and apparently it's a lot more problem based learning than other uni's (less proper teaching). I wanted to go there originally but after the open day I decided not to apply at all. Each to their own though

Thanks for the reply, ive written about my condition and have medical evidence.

where did you end up going? Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by A sheesh
Thanks for the reply, ive written about my condition and have medical evidence.

where did you end up going? Thanks

I've not started yet, I've applied to Nottingham, Birmingham, Keele, Durham and Aston (in that order of preference) :smile: Maybe you could go to the pharmacy section and do a search of last years durham applicants and drop them a message, see how they're finding it? It might make you feel a lot better about the uni
Original post by A sheesh
Thats the thing, i would only put unis asking for abb as firm if manc was in adjustment

Interesting strategy. Like demetria I can confirm that Manchester wasn't in Clearing for Pharmacy last year (according to my Daily Telegraph supplement); I don't know whether it was for Adjustment.

One point about Durham is that the Pharmacy course isn't taught in the beautiful city of Durham, but in rather less attractive Stockton.
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
Interesting strategy. Like demetria I can confirm that Manchester wasn't in Clearing for Pharmacy last year (according to my Daily Telegraph supplement); I don't know whether it was for Adjustment.

One point about Durham is that the Pharmacy course isn't taught in the beautiful city of Durham, but in rather less attractive Stockton.

that was a reason i didnt want to go. also its 180 miles away by train. i wanted to stay local just incase i require any further treatment

Quick Reply

Latest