Defintions of LH limit and RH limit

Watch
MSI_10
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
In my uni's lecture notes, they define the Left Hand Limit as:

The point x0 (belonging to the set of real numbers) is called the LH limit point of a number set X(belonging to the set of real numbers) if any neighbourhood of the point contains at least one x belonging to the set X such that x<x0

it then says that the definition for the Right hand limit is ''very similar'' but doesn't attempt to show the difference.

Am I correct in thinking that the difference would be what is in bold from above i.e instead of x<x0 is it x>x0 instead?
Implication
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's hard for me to understand what you've written since I think you are missing some curly brackets and otherwise confusing mathematical notation.. but I want to say "yes, you are correct".
MSI_10
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Implication)
It's hard for me to understand what you've written since I think you are missing some curly brackets and otherwise confusing mathematical notation.. but I want to say "yes, you are correct".
Name:  LH RH Limit.png
Views: 322
Size:  176.2 KB

R= Real numbers, s.t=such that..

is that better? I am literally just typing up all definitions from semester 1 and that's how my lecturer defined them word by word..
Jarred
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
These are the definitions I always went with:

A function f : (c, a) \rightarrow \mathbb{R} has a right hand limit l at c if:
for any \varepsilon &gt; 0 there exists a \delta &gt; 0 such that for all x \in (c, a) with c &lt; x &lt; c+\delta we have |f(x) - l| &lt; \varepsilon

And relatedly:

A function f : (b,c) \rightarrow \mathbb{R} has a left hand limit l at c if:
for any \varepsilon &gt; 0 there exists a \delta &gt; 0 such that for all x \in (a, c) with c-\delta &lt; x &lt; c we have |f(x) - l| &lt; \varepsilon
BlueSam3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jarred)
These are the definitions I always went with:

A function f : (c, a) \rightarrow \mathbb{R} has a right hand limit l at c if:
for any \varepsilon &gt; 0 there exists a \delta &gt; 0 such that for all x \in (c, a) with c &lt; x &lt; c+\delta we have |f(x) - l| &lt; \varepsilon

And relatedly:

A function f : (b,c) \rightarrow \mathbb{R} has a left hand limit l at c if:
for any \varepsilon &gt; 0 there exists a \delta &gt; 0 such that for all x \in (a, c) with c-\delta &lt; x &lt; c we have |f(x) - l| &lt; \varepsilon
He's talking about left and right limits of subsets of the reals, what you'd probably call an infimum and supremum, not limits of functions.
Jarred
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BlueSam3)
He's talking about left and right limits of subsets of the reals, what you'd probably call an infimum and supremum, not limits of functions.
Darn it, I think tonight I shall probably get more sleep and actually try to read things properly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
57.17%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.83%

Watched Threads