The Student Room Group

Cambridge vs LSE: is Cam a no-brainer?

I have an offer from Cambridge to study International Relations (HSPS), and I'm still waiting for an offer from LSE.

Assuming I get an offer from LSE, is it a no-brainer to go to Cambridge?

I only care about employment prospects and educational integrity.
I think you should wait until you get an offer from LSE. Congratulations on the Camb offer though!
Probably. They're both obviously absolutely outstanding institutions but Cambridge probably wins through its prestige. Having said that, whilst Cambridge is 2nd in the world for employers according to QS, LSE is 4th which really isn't a significant difference. My gut instinct would be go with Cambridge because it ranks higher on academic league tables but really, I don't think there's a gigantic difference. Go with whichever you think you'd be happiest at.
(edited 10 years ago)
Cambridge every time. If what you care about is employment then the prestige is completely unmatched. LSE is very good but it doesn't have quite the same impact in people's minds. Plus you won't get anything like the tutorial system at LSE (I imagine - LSE students correct me if wrong). It's almost like private tuition if you use it well.

Reasons not to go for Cambridge are;
- If you think you won't cope, and would get a higher classification elsewhere.
- If you don't like the small town environment (not a good reason in my opinion).

None of these seem to apply to you. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
In terms of education the cambridge supervision system is pretty much unparalleled.

Also cambridge I would say has a much stronger reputation internationally, although it's a closer run thing domestically
Reply 5
Original post by gouratiltzen
I have an offer from Cambridge to study International Relations (HSPS), and I'm still waiting for an offer from LSE.

Assuming I get an offer from LSE, is it a no-brainer to go to Cambridge?

I only care about employment prospects and educational integrity.

I know you say you only care about employment prospects and educational integrity, but its important you are 100% sure about the course when going somewhere as intensive as Cambridge. You don't want to have to write 2 essays a week on topics you aren't 100% enthusiastic about.

Based on what you've said though Cambridge would probably provide the better education because of the supervisions (tutorials) however remember the name alone doesn't get you a job.

Quick Reply

Latest