The Student Room Group

BP STEM scholarship interview

Just wondering if anyone's had an interview for the national BP STEM scholarship through their university. I have one for chemistry coming up this month. It'd be nice to know how other people are preparing or what we can anticipate : )

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I had one (for Computer science, Bath is the only university where compsci folks are eligible) in December. It was long and fairly intense, I really was talking for the whole hour. I can't give you questions or anything, but my advice would be treat it in the same way as a job interview, and have some questions ready to ask. Be memorable, :smile: Good luck!
Reply 2
Wowzers that's pretty awesome if only your university can enter CompScis. I anticipate doing a lot of studying on the company itself and trying to prepare some anecdotes for how I fit the company values, which I suppose I will need if it is that intense~! Thanks though and I shall try not to stress too much in the meantime : )
Reply 3
I've got one for Chemistry, too. How formal is it? Should I wear a suit, a formal shirt, or just go casual? Do they ask about what you wrote in the first stage? Are there academic questions in your subject area? I'm confident I can talk about these things, but I just don't know what I should prepare for. Is it question led, or is more of a conversation?

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by MattAB19
I've got one for Chemistry, too. How formal is it? Should I wear a suit, a formal shirt, or just go casual? Do they ask about what you wrote in the first stage? Are there academic questions in your subject area? I'm confident I can talk about these things, but I just don't know what I should prepare for. Is it question led, or is more of a conversation?

Thanks

Sorry if this is too late for you, but yes I'd wear a suit if I were you. The questions aren't academic, it's very much a question led competency-based interview so there's nothing you need to revise. They didn't ask me about my application from what I can remember but you should know exactly what you wrote anyway.
Reply 5
How did all of your interviews go? I've got one in January 2015 and I'm an EEE student. I'd be grateful for any further advice or tips!

Original post by Damask-
I had one (for Computer science, Bath is the only university where compsci folks are eligible) in December. It was long and fairly intense, I really was talking for the whole hour. I can't give you questions or anything, but my advice would be treat it in the same way as a job interview, and have some questions ready to ask. Be memorable, :smile: Good luck!

Congrats on getting the scholarship (I noticed on another thread). :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Tanmayee
Congrats on getting the scholarship (I noticed on another thread). :smile:

Thank you! Another bit of advice from me (I can't remember if I've already said this, apologies if I have) is that as well as just practicing competency questions again and again and again - this should pretty much guarantee success if they stick to the same format as the past two years - make sure you listen to the videos on their website and find some questions specific to what your possible future roles at BP could be. For example, I'm a CompSci, so I asked "Do you have more technologists working upstream or downstream?" Which not only showed I was interested in a career at BP (they love getting a return on their investment) but also showed I'd done my research into the way the company is structured. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Damask-
Thank you! Another bit of advice from me (I can't remember if I've already said this, apologies if I have) is that as well as just practicing competency questions again and again and again - this should pretty much guarantee success if they stick to the same format as the past two years - make sure you listen to the videos on their website and find some questions specific to what your possible future roles at BP could be. For example, I'm a CompSci, so I asked "Do you have more technologists working upstream or downstream?" Which not only showed I was interested in a career at BP (they love getting a return on their investment) but also showed I'd done my research into the way the company is structured. :smile:

Thanks for the tip! Just to be sure, what do "competency questions" actually involve? I assumed that they'll be asking maths and logic questions, or is it similar to the online test?
Reply 8
Original post by Tanmayee
Thanks for the tip! Just to be sure, what do "competency questions" actually involve? I assumed that they'll be asking maths and logic questions, or is it similar to the online test?

Nope, competency questions are standard interview stuff questions which aren't technical at all. "Give an example of a time you've taught yourself something/been the leader of a team/found something difficult" etc.
Reply 9
I'm not sure if my online test glitched because I had 2 verbal and 2 numerical tests... Is this what everyone else had??
Original post by jonnny_96
I'm not sure if my online test glitched because I had 2 verbal and 2 numerical tests... Is this what everyone else had??

I had 2 of each as well. :smile: Got my interview this wednesday!

Original post by Damask-
Nope, competency questions are standard interview stuff questions which aren't technical at all. "Give an example of a time you've taught yourself something/been the leader of a team/found something difficult" etc.

Ah that makes sense! But either way, I've just been revising for January exams so I should be ready for anything they can throw at me :smile: thanks for your help!
Hi everyone,

Quite nervous for my interview next week, so searching the internet for all the info I can find!!
Can anyone who has already had a BP Stem Interview remember/guess what the competencies were? Or has anyone found a list of them online anywhere? I can't find what they are! Have found the "core values" of Safety, Respect, Excellence, One Team and Courage, but haven't found any specific to the stem scholarship scheme, can anyone help me out?

Cheers.

P.S I'm studying Chemistry.
(edited 9 years ago)
They ask questions based on the core values. How you've portrayed those values basically. Just use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action and Result) approach.
Original post by suadieeeee
They ask questions based on the core values. How you've portrayed those values basically. Just use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action and Result) approach.

Thank youuuuuu!!!! :smile:
just wondering - can you have 2 scholarships at the same time with two different companies? :/
Are you a 2014/5 entry, that is, already enrolled on your first year? I have an unconditional offer for 2015/6 entry to read Computer Science at Bath but have not had the email invitation to apply for the BP STEM scholarship. I'm starting to think I may not be eligible for some reason. Does everybody on a STEM course at eligible institutions get an invitation? If not how do they choose and what information do they have access to?
Original post by Jack5276
Are you a 2014/5 entry, that is, already enrolled on your first year? I have an unconditional offer for 2015/6 entry to read Computer Science at Bath but have not had the email invitation to apply for the BP STEM scholarship. I'm starting to think I may not be eligible for some reason. Does everybody on a STEM course at eligible institutions get an invitation? If not how do they choose and what information do they have access to?

If you're not starting until sept. 2015, I wouldn't worry about not getting an invitation yet - and probably wouldn't expect one until after you arrive.
Original post by EmilyLaura
If you're not starting until sept. 2015, I wouldn't worry about not getting an invitation yet - and probably wouldn't expect one until after you arrive.

Thanks
Hi guys, I was just wondering what the numerical and verbal tests entail and whether you know if there's a website or something to prepare for them? Thanks :smile:
Reply 19
Once you get through to the numerical and verbal reasoning tests, BP will send you a link to some practice questions. At least they did for me. The timing is the most difficult aspect if you are already good at data interpretation and comprehension. I didn't finish all the numerical questions, but I still got through to interview and got the scholarship!

It's mainly graphs and data handling, from memory. If you look up numerical reasoning tests online you'll find very similar tests. They're pretty standard in the job application process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending