The Student Room Group

Why do I routinely freak out about getting pregnant?

Why am I so readily thinking I'm pregnant every time I have sex? Am I genuinely the only one who gets this way. I am 23 so shouldn't be this naive.

We had unprotected sex all summer (I'm in a LDR) and nothing happened. I stayed at his house this week and we had protected sex not on Saturday but the previous - I even got him to check the condom and he said it was fine. I got panicky and made sure we were protected the other times.

This Saturday we did anal and stuff like that but even when we don't regular intercourse he'll rub his penis against my vulva which seems dodgy territory when I read some websites. We did all the usual oral/hand/fingers etc. so transfer could easily have happened.

Now I have discharge and some websites suggest this may be a symptom of pregnancy and occur straight after conception. I really don't want to even consider the possibility of pregnancy. :frown:

Please say I am overthinking this... Why do I get stressed by this possibility regardless of whether there is protection or not? I am genuinely stressing about this ridiculously. Am I rational?
Reply 1
*bump*
What's the worst that can happen?

That usually helps when I'm panicking and worrying unnecessarily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Given these worries, why haven't you sorted out a reliable method of contraception to use instead of / as well as condoms?
You're not the only one I was the same when I first started sleeping with my boyfriend. I even took the morning after pill even though we used condoms and they didn't split etc (before him I hadn't had sex for a few years and my sister claims her two unplanned pregnancies were the result of condoms splitting without her or her boyfriend realising so I guess it was due to that). Like unprinted said if you're that worried why don't you go to your local Brook or Family Planning and see about going on something? That's what I did, I got a coil and it gave me peace of mind.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
You're not the only one I was the same when I first started sleeping with my boyfriend. I even took the morning after pill even though we used condoms and they didn't split etc (before him I hadn't had sex for a few years and my sister claims her two unplanned pregnancies were the result of condoms splitting without her or her boyfriend realising so I guess it was due to that). Like unprinted said if you're that worried why don't you go to your local Brook or Family Planning and see about going on something? That's what I did, I got a coil and it gave me peace of mind.

Ok thanks. I am still really anxious. I took a first response pregnancy test today and it was negative, praying that's right - it's a day before period is due. Can I breathe a sigh of relief?
I'm actually like this. I know it's all unlikely if you use contraception properly, but you always hear of people who:

- Were at a non fertile time
- Were on the pill
- Used a condom
- Didn't even penetrate

..and still managed to get pregnant. I know most people who say that are talking rubbish or are trying to kid themselves, but I just always end up thinking that it would be just like my luck for that to happen.

It's having a horrible effect on my sex life, because I can't relax enough to enjoy it. Foreplay is great. Oral, great. Fingering/me pleasuring him, great. But as soon as it becomes penetrative I get nervous and can't relax. *Sigh*.

I know this isn't helpful to you, I just thought I'd let you know I understand how you feel.
Reply 7
If a pregnancy test is meant to be 99% accurate at time of period then why am I so freaked out? I did test this morning - negative thankfully. Why am I so worried about the chance of being in the 1%
Reply 8
Normal to worry but seriously go on some for of contraception other than just using condoms like the pill or something - especially if you're having unprotected sex, though only condoms a will protect you from sti's and stuff. Makes the chances of pregnancy happening lower and therefore should put your mind at ease, you're old enough to know of the options, go try something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by dead101
Normal to worry but seriously go on some for of contraception other than just using condoms like the pill or something - especially if you're having unprotected sex, though only condoms a will protect you from sti's and stuff. Makes the chances of pregnancy happening lower and therefore should put your mind at ease, you're old enough to know of the options, go try something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, can I more or less be assured that the test results are correct 14 days after intercourse or should I wait?
Reply 10
So, can I more or less be assured that the test results are correct 14 days after intercourse or should I wait?

Yeah it should be correct as you have to wait two weeks for an accurate result but if you're still unsure do another one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by dead101
Yeah it should be correct as you have to wait two weeks for an accurate result but if you're still unsure do another one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope you're right. I am completing freaking myself out though.
Would really appreciate if someone could help..
I had unprotected sex on the 3rd day of my period and he pulled out. My period stopped for a few hours after but then came back quite heavy

We then had sex again on the 5th day of my period and again he did not ejaculate inside of me. We were very careful about getting sperm inside both times. However, my period has now stopped for over 24 hours and doesn't look like it is coming back!

Is this normal? Could i be pregnant? I heard its pretty much impossible to get preg on your period but im still anxious

Reply 13
Original post by elephant23424243
Would really appreciate if someone could help..
I had unprotected sex on the 3rd day of my period and he pulled out. My period stopped for a few hours after but then came back quite heavy

We then had sex again on the 5th day of my period and again he did not ejaculate inside of me. We were very careful about getting sperm inside both times. However, my period has now stopped for over 24 hours and doesn't look like it is coming back!

Is this normal? Could i be pregnant? I heard its pretty much impossible to get preg on your period but im still anxious

Doubt its because you're pregnant, even if there was a slim chance an egg was present it takes a few days between the egg getting fertilised and implanting into the lining so you wouldnt know that soon (plus as the lining is getting sted the egg would be unlikely to implant anyway). My period sometimes randomly stops then starts again Ive always assumed it was just one of those things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Why am I so readily thinking I'm pregnant every time I have sex? Am I genuinely the only one who gets this way. I am 23 so shouldn't be this naive.

We had unprotected sex all summer (I'm in a LDR) and nothing happened. I stayed at his house this week and we had protected sex not on Saturday but the previous - I even got him to check the condom and he said it was fine. I got panicky and made sure we were protected the other times.

This Saturday we did anal and stuff like that but even when we don't regular intercourse he'll rub his penis against my vulva which seems dodgy territory when I read some websites. We did all the usual oral/hand/fingers etc. so transfer could easily have happened.

Now I have discharge and some websites suggest this may be a symptom of pregnancy and occur straight after conception. I really don't want to even consider the possibility of pregnancy. :frown:

Please say I am overthinking this... Why do I get stressed by this possibility regardless of whether there is protection or not? I am genuinely stressing about this ridiculously. Am I rational?

I'm 22 and I worry myself. I had unprotected sex right after my period ended so now just waiting till I can take a test in 2 weeks. Ultimately, if you didn't have vaginal sex and he didn't ejaculate inside, on or near your vagina it's unlikely you are pregnant. I would take a pregnancy test in 2 weeks to be sure, or just wait for your period.

Quick Reply