smithlsophie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've just received an offer to study Media Studies at Brighton, but I haven't visited the campus yet. Just wondering if anyone knows much about the course and what the facilities for Media are like? Also, opinions on the campus (Moulsecoomb)? Thanks x
University of Brighton Accommodation
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by smithlsophie)
I've just received an offer to study Media Studies at Brighton, but I haven't visited the campus yet. Just wondering if anyone knows much about the course and what the facilities for Media are like? Also, opinions on the campus (Moulsecoomb)? Thanks x

Hi

Just wanted to make sure sure that smithlsophie and any other TSR members interested in Media Studies have spotted the new post message from Ciara, our newest official TSR rep and Environment and Media Studies grad and Creative Media Studies MA student over in our sticky thread -
University of Brighton 2014 applicants

If you would like to know more about Media studies from Ciara, just reply to this thread or the other one

Best Wishes
Viv
smithlsophie
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks for the info!
I've received a booklet from Brighton giving more information about my offer. Looking through the different campuses I saw that there are quite a lot of Media based subjects based at the Hastings campus, my course being based at Mouslecoomb campus - just wondered if you know what the difference between the courses is, and why Hastings and Mouslecoomb both offer these courses? Thank you!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, thanks for the info!
I've received a booklet from Brighton giving more information about my offer. Looking through the different campuses I saw that there are quite a lot of Media based subjects based at the Hastings campus, my course being based at Mouslecoomb campus - just wondered if you know what the difference between the courses is, and why Hastings and Mouslecoomb both offer these courses? Thank you!

Hi smithsophie

Very good questions to ask at this stage!

On the Hastings campus we offer Media Studies as part of combined BA(Hons) courses (Media Studies and Education, Media Studies and Sociology.) Hastings also offers courses in Broadcast Media and Multimedia Broadcast Journalism. For an overview of these courses check here:
http://bit.ly/1hlKN4o
The Media Studies course at Moulsecoomb is 'mix of theory and practice'
http://bit.ly/1ak4zvb

I suggest comparing across these 2 pages - depending on the kind of experience you are looking for you will probably have a personal preference! I'd also recommend that if you have any more specific course questions, to get in touch with the courses directly to find out more about how and what you would be studying.

If you would like to know more about what is it like to study at Hastings I'd suggest getting in touch with @jenunibrighton on twitter or here on TSR http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=987626 . Jen is in her final year of Broadcast Journalism.

One of the BA Media Studies students has just, coincidentally, started a work placement in my office I will ask her to head over here and share some info too.

Best Wishes

Viv

Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, thanks for the info!
Hi smithlsophie,

I’m Boyana – I am currently in my 2nd year of a Media Studies Ba(Hons) degree here. (You can find out more about me in our official rep profile - I'm based at Moulsecoomb.)

I started in the Media Studies BA(Hons) in 2012, I had looked through the whole prospectus to find a course that was suitable for me and I finally decided on Media Studies. What pulled me towards this degree in particular was the mix of theory and practice that is involved in the modules. The course has a bit of everything giving you a really great understanding of the media and preparing you for the fast changing job market.

Something that I really enjoyed was the production based modules which include Photography Practice and Video Production. A range of photographic and video equipment is available for us to take out and use both for our own projects and for university related projects. I really enjoyed that as it means you don’t need to own your own expensive camera in order to go out and take photographs.

Other modules that are extremely useful and relevant to todays’ media are the Social Media and the Mobile Media modules. They both focus on areas of study that are still developing and not much research exists on the topics. That means that the people studying those subjects today, i.e us, are the ones who are going to have the opportunity to shape these fields of study. How exciting is that? Pretty exciting if you ask me!

You will be surprised of how much of what we encounter on a day to day basis will be covered on your course, such as advertising, television, mobile apps, social media, brands etc. After just a few months on this course I can say that I found a new understanding of what the media is and how it works. It is fascinating because we encounter it on a day to day basis without really thinking about it, well this course can make you think about it.

If there is anything else you'd like to ask me - fire away! Boyana

smithlsophie
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for all the info, now I have a much better understanding of what the course entails and what the campus is like. I'm planning on visiting Brighton in a few weeks to check out the area and then again on the 5th of March for the Media open day.
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Choose a more employable degree, don't waste 9 grand a year on this
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you so much for all the info, now I have a much better understanding of what the course entails and what the campus is like. I'm planning on visiting Brighton in a few weeks to check out the area and then again on the 5th of March for the Media open day.
Glad we could help
smithlsophie
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2ndClass)
Choose a more employable degree, don't waste 9 grand a year on this
what degree did you do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (103)
5.13%
Uncertainty around my education (302)
15.04%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (213)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (279)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (90)
4.48%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (114)
5.68%
Loneliness (175)
8.72%
Financial worries (72)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (88)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (95)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (110)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (178)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (189)
9.41%

Watched Threads