Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Marine A has appealed against his murder conviction

http://news.sky.com/story/1190982/ja...der-conviction
pol pot noodles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
On what grounds would the convicion be quashed?
Al-Mudaari
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
lol @ petition, I hope MI5's got them on surveillance.

How about we send him to Afghanistan to be tried under a Taliban court, seeing as the murder was done on their land and against their representative. That would be much fairer than the joke of a sentence he got in the UK, which isn't going to deter any soldier from replicating those hideous crimes.
caravaggio2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Scum
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Al-Mudaari)

How about we send him to Afghanistan to be tried under a Taliban court, seeing as the murder was done on their land and against their representative. That would be much fairer than the joke of a sentence he got in the UK, which isn't going to deter any soldier from replicating those hideous crimes.
He got removed from the military and a life-sentence. How is that a joke of a sentence, it's the harshest sentence possible under British law.
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Well firstly I doubt the Taliban have a fair system of trial, clearly they do not. Secondly the sentence isn't a joke, he got a life sentence as Stiff Little Fingers said above.
Solivagant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Of course he is going to appeal. Not going to change anything though.
pol pot noodles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Afghanistan isn't the Taliban's land; the Taliban do not control the country and the majority of their fighters are Pakistani, and in fact considering the Taliban don't subscribe or adhere to the Geneva convention, Marine A broke no law that day according to them. But seriously you seem to be implying Marine A should be tortured and beheaded, which is a disgusting stance to take.
uktotalgamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hold on. We train our soldiers to kill and then we're surprised when they do... And can I also add that while he did coldly murder someone, I would surmise that the taliban fighter would have done exactly the same, do you think that he would have thought twice about killing?
uktotalgamer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pol pot noodles)
Afghanistan isn't the Taliban's land; the Taliban do not control the country and the majority of their fighters are Pakistani, and in fact considering the Taliban don't subscribe or adhere to the Geneva convention, Marine A broke no law that day according to them. But seriously you seem to be implying Marine A should be tortured and beheaded, which is a disgusting stance to take.
It's seems that we 'cant go down to their level' by killing, but their punishments seem to be perfectly fine to stoop down to... Liberals..
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by uktotalgamer)
It's seems that we 'cant go down to their level' by killing, but their punishments seem to be perfectly fine to stoop down to... Liberals..
Liberal?? Al-Mudaari is like, a hardline Islamic fundamentalist. You can't just use that word to describe anyone you don't agree with.
uktotalgamer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
Liberal?? Al-Mudaari is like, a hardline Islamic fundamentalist. You can't just use that word to describe anyone you don't agree with.
My point is that the Taliban soldiers wouldn't think twice about killing our guys. To be fair, we shouldn't even be there in the first place.
Algorithm69
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

MI5 has you under surveillance.
Apocrypha
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Still believe he should be freed.
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hold on. We train our soldiers to kill and then we're surprised when they do... And can I also add that while he did coldly murder someone, I would surmise that the taliban fighter would have done exactly the same, do you think that he would have thought twice about killing?
What the Taliban would or would not have done had the situation been reversed is irrelevant.
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I highly doubt he will succeed on either front. The crime was cut and dry, and the sentence was already lenient.
uktotalgamer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by thunder_chunky)
What the Taliban would or would not have done had the situation been reversed is irrelevant.
Why is it irrelevant? Hold on. Let me guess. "Because we shouldn't stoop down to their level."
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why is it irrelevant? Hold on. Let me guess. "Because we shouldn't stoop down to their level."
Because we aren't the Taliban and neither are our armed forces. Our forces are bound my laws national and international and our forces care about said rules and abiding by them. The Taliban, not so much. It is an irrelevant comparison and a desperate attempt by people to justify the act.
powndog
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Has anyone got a link to the video? I would like to see the situation before I make a decision on my opinion
uktotalgamer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by thunder_chunky)
Because we aren't the Taliban and neither are our armed forces. Our forces are bound my laws national and international and our forces care about said rules and abiding by them. The Taliban, not so much. It is an irrelevant comparison and a desperate attempt by people to justify the act.
So it's alright to the Taliban to massacre as many as they want because they have no rules, but we must abide by ours? Yeah, ok bro.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (57)
40.14%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
16.9%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.23%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (15)
10.56%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (15)
10.56%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
8.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
9.15%

Watched Threads