The Student Room Group

Graduate Library Trainee Placements

(possibly the wrong sub forum... it was hard to decide where to put it)

Hi,
I'm really interested in a career in library and information services, and have noticed that a few universities offer graduate placements in their libraries, as entry to library school usually requires one year of full time experience. However, does anyone know what kind of experience / qualifications are needed to get a graduate placement?
There are quite a few at Oxford, which I assume are highly competitive so i'll probably need to get a head start (thus thinking 4+ years ahead). I'm off to start my Geography degree at Glasgow university in September, and I currently volunteer a significant amount of my time to my local library. I hope to also be able to volunteer at a library when I start university, does anyone have any experience of the recruitment process or know anything I could possibly start doing to make my application stand out? :smile:

Many thanks, Zee
I think you need at least a 2.1 in any subject and the volunteering will definitely help. I'm in the basically the same position your in but a few years ahead. I graduate in June, and have applied to ucl's graduate library trainee scheme. Havn't heard anything back from them yet, but focus on getting a good degree and I'm sure it will be a lot easier.
Keep an eye on the Uni's staff jobs webpage when you are at Uni. Usually Libraries rely on p/timers to reshelve/seasonal cull/clean etc. Good experience and gets your face 'in' at that Library. These jobs tend to revolve at exam time as people resign to concentrate on revision/Finals.
Reply 3
The Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP) advertises one year placements specifically for the years experience needed to get onto an MA in Library or Information studies.

They advertise placements from about December onwards in your final year of uni. If you just go onto the CILIP website then onto Jobs and Careers, then on 'Jobs from Lisjobnet' and then on CILIP Graduate Training Opportunities. This pays you for a year as well - helps towards the masters fees - and often they're all over the UK as well as in London.

Voluntary work or part time will definitely help you get onto these, but don't worry too much about it if your search doesn't yield much!

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending