The Student Room Group

What are some good sites that have good prices for shared home and hotels? Help asap.

I'm going to move from my hall as it is too expensive, I've found hotels for 58 quid per week, but are not big enough because I have so much stuff I brought with me to my hall. I think I prefer a hotel or rent a house as I will have my own bathroom.

I'm with Unite, I have paid for one term but the next term is coming up where I have to pay again so I like to get out of here quickly when my paid term ends which will be this month. I like a place close to Islington.

I prefer weekly installments.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Yakob
I'm going to move from my hall as it is too expensive, I've found hotels for 58 quid per week, but are not big enough because I have so much stuff I brought with me to my hall. I think I prefer a hotel or rent a house as I will have my own bathroom.

I'm with Unite, I have paid for one term but the next term is coming up where I have to pay again so I like to get out of here quickly when my paid term ends which will be this month. I like a place close to Islington.

Check your contract, but chances are that your contract runs until the end of the academic year. This means that you have to continue paying until the end no matter what (even if you died, your estate would still be liable...).

Anyway, any hotel that you find for £58 a week is going to be a fleapit. I've paid more than that in London for a ten person dorm in a backpackers hostel.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
Check your contract, but chances are that your contract runs until the end of the academic year. This means that you have to continue paying until the end no matter what (even if you died, your estate would still be liable...).

Anyway, any hotel that you find for £58 a week is going to be a fleapit. I've paid more than that in London for a ten person dorm in a backpackers hostel.

You're joking...

I'll speak to them today, I can't afford this...is this it? I'm snookered? How can they expect students to live like this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Yakob
You're joking...

I'll speak to them today, I can't afford this...is this it? I'm snookered? How can they expect students to live like this?

I'm serious - and Unite are well known for not letting people out of their contracts under any circumstances, unless you can find a replacement tenant - which is usually fundamentally impossible. Do be aware that if you were to stop paying, you'd end up in court, where you'd lose automatically. When you don't pay up within 30 days from the court judgement, you'll get a CCJ which will detroy your credit rating for 6 years and severely hamper your chances of getting a job in financial services (the latter may not be relevant to you, but the former certainly is).

They're a private company, not a charity, who seem to be completely unconcerned about how students live so long as the rent gets paid. Ultimately, you knew what your income would be, and what the rent was before you moved in, so you should have chosen somewhere you could afford.
Reply 4
Original post by Yakob

Hi Yakob!

You should try and check out www.uniplaces.com. UniPlaces in an online platform that helps students (and non-students) find accommodation in London.

We have residences as well as flats, apartments and studios. If you want you can send an email to [email protected] with your preferences (budget, location, university, move in and move out dates, etc) and we will help you find something that matches what you are looking for :smile:

You can also send me a PM and I will answer.

Cheers,
Rita

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending