The Student Room Group

When should I start writing my personal statement?

Hi,

I'm currently in Year 12 would like to apply for a very competitive course (possibly to Oxbridge)? The application needs to be sent off in October so when is the best time to start writing? I've done most of the work experience I can. People seem to suggest writing at the end of summer holidays but that seems too late for me, particularly as it's such an important part of an application. Should I start thinking about it now or should I concentrate on looking at potential universities or just concentrate purely on A Levels and wait until after exams, when I've done more wider reading? I'm asking because I've found that occasionally I have lots of free time. When did you start writing yours (in particular previous Dentistry/Medicine/Veterinary Medicine applicants). I know it's a bit early but it's making me worried. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by QuidditchFan
Hi,

I'm currently in Year 12 would like to apply for a very competitive course (possibly to Oxbridge)? The application needs to be sent off in October so when is the best time to start writing? I've done most of the work experience I can. People seem to suggest writing at the end of summer holidays but that seems too late for me, particularly as it's such an important part of an application. Should I start thinking about it now or should I concentrate on looking at potential universities or just concentrate purely on A Levels and wait until after exams, when I've done more wider reading? I'm asking because I've found that occasionally I have lots of free time. When did you start writing yours (in particular previous Dentistry/Medicine/Veterinary Medicine applicants). I know it's a bit early but it's making me worried. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I had my first draft done in the summer and then got help from my school to perfect it when i got back to school :smile:
Didn't even start 'til September. Got it off October 10th, didn't get into Oxford, but having said that, my friends that did get in started after me :wink:
I started writing it this time last year. No harm in starting it early if you have a concrete idea as to hat you want to do. Give yourself as much time as possible.
I would write it end of July, August time because once you go back to school you need to go through the painstaking process of waiting for teachers to mark it;/
Reply 5
I started writing it after my AS exams, got it sent off to UCAS October 10th and had all my decisions by December 2nd (Oxford was the last to get back to me) :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
The night before you send your application, duh...

I think probably during the summer holidays is best, maybe before then if you can but exams should take priority.
Reply 7
To be absolutely honest, I started writing my PS late September, and I was applying to a medical course, and at Oxbridge too. I was an extremely cocky idiot, don't do what I do, but it is also too early for you to start writing it now. What's best is to start writing it towards the end of your summer term, maybe getting a draft done for the penultimate week of school for a teacher to check, or even over the holidays, if you feel you need the 6 weeks to reflect on your year of work that you've done towards your application. What you could do now though, is perhaps write a reflection down about all your work experiences, eg what you did, but most importantly, what you learnt, and how you could apply the skills you've learnt to your degree and beyond. Also, keep a portfolio of articles that you may have read and found interesting, maybe add an article once every two weeks, or review a book you've read once every few months, so that you build up a collection of items you could put together in a personal statement later on this year.
Reply 8
Start writing at the beginning of the summer holidays, I did and had mine sent off within a few days of UCAS opening. Its such a brilliant time to start cause you have the whole holiday to focus on your statement with no schoolwork, I know some people struggle doing both if you start later but its different for everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's no need to start now - the beginning of the summer holidays is always a good point to start - but if you did want to start thinking about it, then read the TSR wiki to get an idea of what you're aiming for. Then, write a list of things you might include, and pin it to your bedroom wall. As the year goes on, add anything else you think you might include to it. Then, when you do come to write it, you'll have some ideas about what you might write (most of which you'll discard!) and so you'll be less stressed.
Reply 10
I started when I went back to college in September :smile: Med applicant by the way, didn't apply to Oxbridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Over the summer holidays is probably a good time to start.

Currently, you probably haven't studied enough of your A-level content to discuss them properly if you need to. Also you may well change your mind about what course you want to apply for after attending open days etc. in the summer. You will need to mention wider reading, so you could start looking for books/articles to read now.

Instead of worrying about your PS, you could start researching university choices so you know which open days you want to visit this summer.
It's never too early to start writing your first draft. If you start early you get the benefit of a long drafting period, and you have the opportunity to go back and edit it later after you've finished your wider reading.
Reply 13
Original post by LibbyG
I started when I went back to college in September :smile: Med applicant by the way, didn't apply to Oxbridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many schools get pupils to start after the exams. But the first thing is to decide on your course, to ensure your PS is relevant and tailored towards it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending