How hard is computing A level..? Watch

Spratty
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to do computing A-level when I'm in college. How difficult is it? Is is like computing GCSE? What kind of work do you do? And how difficult is it, compared to other A-levels, for example, ICT, or Chemistry? :cry2:
I am currently doing Computing GCSE right now, and am interested in a career around computing. I am currently learning a programming language and am a B/A GCSE student.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I personally didn't find it very difficult, but it was very enjoyable. If you're mathematically minded you'll find it easier. I found it to be considerably easier than Chemistry, and whilst I didn't do ICT, it's usually claimed that Computing is a more difficult and respected A-Level.

The Computing GCSE wasn't really around when I did my GCSEs so I can't compare it to that, but they appear to be fairly related.

A-Level Computing is all about learning how to think computationally, rather than just learning how to use a computer like you would in an ICT qualification. There's a good mix of both programming and theory. You will cover both quite heavily in both years.
bluebluepurple
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you like programming, logic and maths then yes you would most certainly enjoy A-level computing.
Marhaba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Spratty)
I want to do computing A-level when I'm in college. How difficult is it? Is is like computing GCSE? What kind of work do you do? And how difficult is it, compared to other A-levels, for example, ICT, or Chemistry? :cry2:
I am currently doing Computing GCSE right now, and am interested in a career around computing. I am currently learning a programming language and am a B/A GCSE student.

Do not do computing at all costs. I'm currently doing it and it is a nightmare! I got an A* in IT at GCSE but i'm still struggling with Computing AS. Honestly, pick IT or electronics; I heard they were easy.
Pessimisterious
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Marhaba)
Do not do computing at all costs. I'm currently doing it and it is a nightmare! I got an A* in IT at GCSE but i'm still struggling with Computing AS. Honestly, pick IT or electronics; I heard they were easy.
You don't pick things for their ease. You pick them for how interesting they are.

And just because you find it hard, it doesn't mean everyone will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spratty
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am doing computing right now at GCSE level...and I promise you..I am at the top of my class. I.T is not very related to computing. It seems as if IT is more about how microsoft word works, rather than looking at actual information.
Marhaba
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, doing Computing at GCSE is nothing compared with A level computing. Same goes for most GCSE subjects. Don't get gassed cos your the top of your class at GCSE; I was, but A levels are a completely different game.

However, if you're super talented at it, then go for it but it's not worth it. It's as hard as Chem, Physics and Maths but not as highly regarded to Unis
Marhaba
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pessimisterious)
You don't pick things for their ease. You pick them for how interesting the y are.

And just because you find it hard, it doesn't mean everyone will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I promise you, a good 60% of all the people doing the course have regrets choosing it because it's as fun and easy as it seemed. And I go to a pretty good college
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I promise you, a good 60% of all the people doing the course have regrets choosing it because it's as fun and easy as it seemed. And I go to a pretty good college
There's your issue. OP seems pretty motivated, and the advice you're giving is pretty terrible. The same percentage of people around the country get A*s and As in computing as in maths, so that 60% is purely anecdotal.
TheBBQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Spratty)
If you are interested in computing, don't do ICT.
Jafar70
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ICT and Applied ICT is easier than Computing. I'm currently studying Applied ICT (OCR) A2 and it is so boring and tedious. One of the task I had to do in AS was to create a letter, newsletters and other documents I cant remember, so I basically learning how to be become a type writer lool. Don't take ICT.
CodeJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't like it, but that was only because of my teacher and my college had picked to do Deplhi/pascal *shivers* I'd recommend it if you want to do similar in uni.
BonVoyage
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did AS in years 10/11 and honestly, it was pretty easy. I didnt even particularly like it, but It didnt need ridiculous amounts of work- far less than I put onto my AS levels now I'm in year 12 :eek

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.29%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.41%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (36)
14.69%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.24%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.8%

Watched Threads