Malinowski, Parsons and Bellah Watch

mollyx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I need help getting the A02 marks (usefulness) on religion. Anyone know what Is useful about Malinowski's psychological functions theory, Parsons and Bellah's civil religion theory?

Posted from TSR Mobile
mollyx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
purplestudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As far as I am aware it is only Bellah that explains the civil religion theory as he is a neo-functionalist he takes Durkheims and Parsons stance on religion however neo-functionalism is more recent than traditional functionalism. Bellah sees civil religion as acting as a conservative force in modern society. Civil religion differs from religion in the way that it binds together people of different faiths, not just one faith. However civil religion and religion both reinforce a collective consciousness. Civil religion blends faith and patriotism, an example being how American children will swear alliance every morning to God and the American flag. Although as wordy as this is I hope it helps, I find beliefs in society the most difficult module,simply because I'm not in touch with religion haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.25%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.62%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.78%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.04%
No, I chose not to (168)
29.32%