Lizzyysmith
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm 17 and in 2nd year six form, I'm one of the young ones of my year and I've passed my driving test but insurance is so expensive if your not 18, anyone know any cheap insurance company's that insure 17 year olds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lizzyysmith)
I'm 17 and in 2nd year six form, I'm one of the young ones of my year and I've passed my driving test but insurance is so expensive if your not 18, anyone know any cheap insurance company's that insure 17 year olds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's no such thing as a company that insures 17 year olds (to specifically give them a good discount).

Your best bet is to use a reputable comparison site and take it on from there. That's as cheap as they get.

What car were you looking to insure? Also, do any of your parents drive? You could put them on your policy as named drivers which most likely will bring down the cost of your policy.
Lizzyysmith
Rep:
?
Thanks for replying! Yeah I'm getting insured on my dads honda jazz which is a 1.2L engine and he is the named driver! we have found companies that do insure 17 year olds but they're crazy prices

Posted from TSR Mobile
stardustjunkie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would honestly just wait until you're 18. My friend got quotes for over £3000 at 17. At 21 my first insurance quote was £1200 for my own car. Goes to show how much it goes down over a matter of a few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for replying! Yeah I'm getting insured on my dads honda jazz which is a 1.2L engine and he is the named driver! we have found companies that do insure 17 year olds but they're crazy prices

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah well this sums it up with how expensive insurance is for new drivers nowdays.

I know alot of people who passed their test when they were 18/19 and didn't get a car till they were like 22 and in which case, they were getting much cheaper quotes, without a blackbox too.

I'm 19 and I passed three months ago. Because I'm not gonna get my own car (for the obvious reasons of it being extremely pricey for the 17-21 year old bracket roughly)...... I decided that my Dad could put me on his policy on a temporary basis as I am now away at uni and dont use the car much when I'm back in my home town. I'll be getting a car after I finish uni in under four years time, by which time the prices would go down for me

Weigh up the pros and cons. What will you really be needing the car for? If it's to travel to work everyday then that's a pretty solid reason for wanting to have a car, but if it's just for the odd trips here and there (throw in the shopping trips with your friends ) then it probably isn't worth getting a car. Cars are expensive in general to run..... you gotta worry about the MOT, tax, etc.

For the record, my Dad's car is a Honda Civic that I drive every now and then when I'm back at home
Lizzyysmith
Rep:
?
Thanks you have really helped! I'm going to uni this year and I'm not 18 till the end of July and getting insured was to help my dad out because he works a lot and so I was going to help take my sisters places and with other stuff as well as more social reasons but with the prices I've been given I think I'll have to wait till I'm 18 :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
stardustjunkie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks you have really helped! I'm going to uni this year and I'm not 18 till the end of July and getting insured was to help my dad out because he works a lot and so I was going to help take my sisters places and with other stuff as well as more social reasons but with the prices I've been given I think I'll have to wait till I'm 18 :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do what I do, 'hypothetical searches'. Go on to go compare or whatever and do a search where you pretend your 18 and you passed your test however many months ago (the time it would be between passing and when you actually turn 18). You can see if the difference is worth the wait then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lizzyysmith
Rep:
?
I never thought of that haha! Thank you I'll try that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Camel18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I passed a week before my 18th birthday, I've got a 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (10 plate) and that was just under 2 grand insurance (roughly), and I got a car about 3 weeks later. I used various comparison websites to find the cheapest one. Some insurers won't do it because of your age and some are ridiculous (there was one for £12,000, more than double what the car was worth!).
They can be paid in instalments, which costs a little more in the long run, but is ideal if you can't afford it in full. The quotes depend on the car, your age, where you live, when you passed and many other factors so there's no set price.
Congratulations on passing by the way, and I wish you the best of luck
Lizzyysmith
Rep:
?
Oo I never knew about the instalments! Thanks for the advice and aw thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
TattyBoJangles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I was 17 I was insured with Diamond (: It was only on a 1L, but I was paying just under £800.
Lizzyysmith
Rep:
?
Ooo, I'll have a look at their insurance

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (246)
60.44%
No (84)
20.64%
Not sure (77)
18.92%

Watched Threads