No career ambitions, no experience Watch

JBGrenouille
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey y'all, I'm a second year English student at a decent university, and I've been having a bit of a crisis recently. In short, I basically have no idea what I want to do with my life, and after years of mulling it over pathetically (all while failing to get relevant experience) my fear has kind of reached a tipping point. I'm not in any societies, and my CV is a joke. Ireally want to sort my life out and put the work in to carve out a good future, but all I seem to be doing is flicking about online as I attempt to research potential careers, internships and even university societies, coming to zero conclusions while wasting time I could spend on the actual work I have to do for my course.

I realise this is pretty much just self-indulgent whinging to anyone with a decent work ethic and sense of direction. It's true that I have been lazy and indecisive but I really want to sort my life out in any way I can. Any help would be much appreciated.
Seathestars
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest there is nothing to stop you joining some societies at university, but I understand your problems mate. Look at it this way- realistically speaking you have 18 months to work out what you want to do. What did you want to do with an English degree initially?
JBGrenouille
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Seathestars)
To be honest there is nothing to stop you joining some societies at university, but I understand your problems mate. Look at it this way- realistically speaking you have 18 months to work out what you want to do. What did you want to do with an English degree initially?
You're right of course. I was in the uni TV soc in the first term and filmed a couple of on-campus events, but it really wasn't for me. I also became interested in the marketing society for a while, but they stopped holding meetings this year.Now they just have a couple of talks each term. I went to a couple - interesting but I couldn't say I was really contributing anything. Everything else just seems wrong for me. Debating? Fencing? The choices scare me if I'm honest, a childish reaction I know. I wish I had a firm political stance or something because people in the political societies seem to get on pretty well.

I basically chose an English degree because I wanted to study something I was good at. I'm beginning to wonder if that was the best motivation. Last term I became obsessed with the idea of doing a law conversion after my degree, went to law events, read up on it, even filled in some applications for summer vacation schemes and open days, But last month I had a weekend to myself and had a bit of a think about my plans, and very quickly came to the conclusion that I had ZERO interest in law, and everything I'd heard about it seemed entirely unappealing to me. I'd simply chosen it because it sounded like a "respectable" career, and it seemed somewhat possible. Again, perhaps not the best motivation.
Seathestars
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JBGrenouille)
You're right of course. I was in the uni TV soc in the first term and filmed a couple of on-campus events, but it really wasn't for me. I also became interested in the marketing society for a while, but they stopped holding meetings this year.Now they just have a couple of talks each term. I went to a couple - interesting but I couldn't say I was really contributing anything. Everything else just seems wrong for me. Debating? Fencing? The choices scare me if I'm honest, a childish reaction I know. I wish I had a firm political stance or something because people in the political societies seem to get on pretty well.

I basically chose an English degree because I wanted to study something I was good at. I'm beginning to wonder if that was the best motivation. Last term I became obsessed with the idea of doing a law conversion after my degree, went to law events, read up on it, even filled in some applications for summer vacation schemes and open days, But last month I had a weekend to myself and had a bit of a think about my plans, and very quickly came to the conclusion that I had ZERO interest in law, and everything I'd heard about it seemed entirely unappealing to me. I'd simply chosen it because it sounded like a "respectable" career, and it seemed somewhat possible. Again, perhaps not the best motivation.
Fair enough. To be fair if there are no societies you could join that you think are for you then I don't think you should see it as an issue.

To be fair I entirely relate to your second paragraph. I will reiterate and expand on what I said earlier- providing you have an idea of what you want to do medium term at the very least by the end of your degree, you should find things a bit easier. I'm going to uni next year and whilst I have a rough idea of a plan in the aftermath of it, nothing is decided by any means.

To be fair a law degree in general is enticing. But as you say- it's not worth studying something you have zero interest in.
sufferin succotash
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
VOLUNTEEEERRRRRR

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (32)
18.82%
Labour (68)
40%
Liberal Democrats (35)
20.59%
Green Party (7)
4.12%
Brexit Party (4)
2.35%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
2.35%
Plaid Cymru (4)
2.35%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)