Anyone who studied biomedical science in top 10 uk universities...

Watch
m16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys...

I have a couple questions related to biomedical science degree. Every year you are given 4-6 modules, and each of that module has essential and recommended books. And all together you usually have to study 3 years. Can someone please give me the list of their essential and recommended books for each module and together of 3 years. (If possible top 10 universities in uk, like UCL or Imperial.)

Thanks.
smd4std
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
martini a&p
alberts molecular biology of the cell
catch up chemistry if you haven't done chemistry a level
mcmurray and catellion fundamentals of general, inorganic and biological chemistry
Fundamentals of General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry (7th/6th) Edition,
Immunology 8th edition (Male), Immunology 5th edition (Goldsby), Janeways Immunobiology 8th edition (Murphy)

also get igenetics for the genetics module and you will also need human physiology books

also some courses are not ibms accredited so the course structure will differ from ibms accredited courses.
m16
Rep:
?
(Original post by smd4std)
martini a&p
alberts molecular biology of the cell
catch up chemistry if you haven't done chemistry a level
mcmurray and catellion fundamentals of general, inorganic and biological chemistry
Fundamentals of General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry (7th/6th) Edition,
Immunology 8th edition (Male), Immunology 5th edition (Goldsby), Janeways Immunobiology 8th edition (Murphy)

also get igenetics for the genetics module and you will also need human physiology books

also some courses are not ibms accredited so the course structure will differ from ibms accredited courses.
big thanks, btw if not a secret where have you been studying ? thanks again...
queen-bee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by m16)
Hi guys...

I have a couple questions related to biomedical science degree. Every year you are given 4-6 modules, and each of that module has essential and recommended books. And all together you usually have to study 3 years. Can someone please give me the list of their essential and recommended books for each module and together of 3 years. (If possible top 10 universities in uk, like UCL or Imperial.)

Thanks.
Does king's college count?although the degree isn't accredited by the institute of biomedical science
Jay_Kay_72
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did Biomed first year, doing neuroscience now. This is what I remember from the recommended:

Pocock & Richards Human Physiology
Essentials of Genetics (Klung)
Pharmacology (Rang and Dale)
Cell Biology - a short course
Chemistry cubed - was recommended for the compulsory chemistry module, but it's OTT in my opinion.
There was no recommended book for anatomy, but the course was an anatomy - development hybrid. I found that 'principles of anatomy and physiology' covered both areas well.
m16
Rep:
?
(Original post by queen-bee)
Does king's college count?although the degree isn't accredited by the institute of biomedical science
yeah, KIng's college is absolutely legit, ''the institute of biomedical science'' is not that important to me, what important is content of the course.
m16
Rep:
?
if possible guys, can you specify by year 1 2 and 3, which books were essential and recommended every year. thanks.
m16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jay_Kay_72)
I did Biomed first year, doing neuroscience now. This is what I remember from the recommended:

Pocock & Richards Human Physiology
Essentials of Genetics (Klung)
Pharmacology (Rang and Dale)
Cell Biology - a short course
Chemistry cubed - was recommended for the compulsory chemistry module, but it's OTT in my opinion.
There was no recommended book for anatomy, but the course was an anatomy - development hybrid. I found that 'principles of anatomy and physiology' covered both areas well.
thanks
smd4std
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by m16)
yeah, KIng's college is absolutely legit, ''the institute of biomedical science'' is not that important to me, what important is content of the course.
ju s t so you know. if the course isnt ibms accredited you cant work for the nhs. you would have to do one extra year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.54%
I'm not sure (46)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.66%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (514)
48.86%

Watched Threads