Destiny_808
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I have just left a Big 4 audit grad scheme (got fired for failing exams) and now have the opportunity to carry on the career at a mid-tier firm (BDO Stoy Hayward).

I am not sure whether to pursue the ACA and audit because eventually I want to work in Operations in an Investment Bank. I am concerned that if I carry on in audit, the roles that will be on offer to me is more middle office like product control and accounting, whereas I want to do specifically back office operations (trade life cycles, processes etc.)

Does anyone know which would be the best way into back office ops- to carry on with audit till qualified (bearing in mind I got kicked out of Big 4) , or to now do something else? Also if you know what something else is could you point me in the right direction

thanks
M1011
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why not just apply for bank operations roles if that's your goal? I assume if you got in to a big4 then you should have a decent shot at back office banking grad schemes?

How long is left to qualify if you join BDO?
Destiny_808
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by M1011)
Why not just apply for bank operations roles if that's your goal? I assume if you got in to a big4 then you should have a decent shot at back office banking grad schemes?

How long is left to qualify if you join BDO?
there is about 2 years left I think, do you not need some type of other experience though, to join Operations?
Xylophone
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Destiny_808)
there is about 2 years left I think, do you not need some type of other experience though, to join Operations?
Just out of curiosity, is your BDO opportunity to continue studying for the ACA still? Or would you be doing the ACCA?

Also no you do not need any prior experience to apply for an operations graduate scheme at a bank. If you found audit dull though, operations at a bank is unlikely to be any more interesting (probably worse if anything). I thought (based on the other thread) that you wanted to do HR? Why not apply for jobs at recruitment agencies and HR graduate schemes at banks (instead of operations)?
Anonymousey93
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why do you want to work in operations at an Investment Bank? Having spent a year doing it previously, I can honestly say it is an extremely dull job. Mainly completing processes and is very repetitive. Also, little opportunity for progression in terms of senior roles available (sort of like a glass ceiling).

What I will say though is that it is a very relaxed job (comparatively), quite an easy job (again comparatively), good hours and pays a very good salary.

I just couldn't do it because of how dull I found it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.6%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (798)
42.09%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.83%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.48%

Watched Threads