Alternative medicines for cholesterol and arterial hypertension

Watch this thread
Safiye
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Few weeks now that my mother’s LDL decreased, the doctor advised her strict diet to increase her level of HDL but there’s no great result in addition to her arterial hypertension. I’ve been hearing that using alternative medicines is very helpful.Do you know any alternative medicines for cholesterol and arterial hypertension?

Thanks in advance
shiggydiggy
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
There are a huge number of progressive steps that can be taken by your GP to control her hypertension. This would mean optimising the dosages and the combination of medicines (of which there are many). It can take a little time to get it right, but as long as it is being reviewed regularly, the right steps are being made.

Perhaps this would be a better option than persuing alternative medicine. However, anything that she does decide to take over the counter should be mentioned to her GP.
Safiye
Rep:
Thanks Dumachi. You’re right Shiggy; however I’m a bit scared because her LDL increased for few days now, does it mean that the diet is not enough? Yet, we didn’t use any alternative medicines; it will be the first time.
Chrystiane
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It is not a matter of diet I think; Cholesterol and arterial hypertension are related to cardiovascular diseases, aren’t they? Acupuncture is perfect for hypertension whereas herbal medicine including ginger, turmeric and rosemary are effective supplements to lower cholesterol. If you are interested in turning to traditional treatments, you can also use basil, cinnamon as well as garlic to lower high blood pressure.
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Safiye)
Thanks Dumachi. You’re right Shiggy; however I’m a bit scared because her LDL increased for few days now, does it mean that the diet is not enough? Yet, we didn’t use any alternative medicines; it will be the first time.
From what I understand, there is limited evidence that a change in diet will significantly change your cholesterol.

That includes any alternative medicines.

If your mother had a serious issue with cholesterol or her LDL then your GP would have given her a statin.
HCubed
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Large servings of blueberries.
Safiye
Rep:
(Original post by Chrystiane)
It is not a matter of diet I think; Cholesterol and arterial hypertension are related to cardiovascular diseases, aren’t they? Acupuncture is perfect for hypertension whereas herbal medicine including ginger, turmeric and rosemary are effective supplements to lower cholesterol. If you are interested in turning to traditional treatments, you can also use basil, cinnamon as well as garlic to lower high blood pressure.
Both of them are associated with cardiovascular disease.

(Original post by DorianGrayism)
From what I understand, there is limited evidence that a change in diet will significantly change your cholesterol.

That includes any alternative medicines.

If your mother had a serious issue with cholesterol or her LDL then your GP would have given her a statin.
Her GP recommended not giving her statin since it has not increased life expectancy nor prevented heart attacks and stroke especially for women. Yet, I’ve been hearing that it causes levels of vitamins to fall in the body which is really bad for people with high risk of cardiovascular disease, the reason why I’m looking for alternative or traditional medicines.
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Safiye)
Her GP recommended not giving her statin since it has not increased life expectancy nor prevented heart attacks and stroke especially for women. Yet, I’ve been hearing that it causes levels of vitamins to fall in the body which is really bad for people with high risk of cardiovascular disease, the reason why I’m looking for alternative or traditional medicines.
I don't understand what your objection is.

You are seeking a way to lower LDL. So you believe it is dangerous.

Statins lower LDL. Even your GP understands that.

He objects to the use of the Statins because he believes that a reduction in LDL will not lead a reduction in risk of heart attack and etc.
Chrystiane
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I think ,Safyie is just against the fact of giving her mother drugs or chemical products to lower the latter’s LDL that’s why she has been looking for alternative or traditional medicines , maybe you can find better answer inside this book “ The secrets of traditional medicines” the health publishing company edition. There are natural therapies adapted to every illness in it such as cardiovascular diseases, skin problems, joint and muscle pain, it will lessen your task.

Good luck!
shiggydiggy
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I think ,Safyie is just against the fact of giving her mother drugs or chemical products to lower the latter’s LDL that’s why she has been looking for alternative or traditional medicines , maybe you can find better answer inside this book “ The secrets of traditional medicines” the health publishing company edition. There are natural therapies adapted to every illness in it such as cardiovascular diseases, skin problems, joint and muscle pain, it will lessen your task.

Good luck!
What is a chemical product?
Safiye
Rep:
(Original post by DorianGrayism)
I don't understand what your objection is.

You are seeking a way to lower LDL. So you believe it is dangerous.
I’m not against the use of statin but I would prefer resorting to other kinds of medicines if it is needed.

Good luck!
It is really the case; I’m a bit lost between using drugs or alternative medicines though I’ve been hearing that alternative medicines appear to be effective to lower LDL. Do you think herbal medicines and Acupuncture will do the work?
Chrystiane
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Lots of my acquaintances took advantages from this method of healing; its power to cure and to prevent many diseases at the same time is part of its advantages, the reason why people turn to this traditional medicine. Yet, you can discover other method of healing through the book I mentioned above. (The secrets of traditional medicines, the health publishing company) Herbal medicines are not only beneficial for HDL but they significantly improve blood circulation and prevent venous insufficiency.
shiggydiggy
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Herbal medicines are not only beneficial for HDL but they significantly improve blood circulation and prevent venous insufficiency.
By what mechanism?
Plasticity
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
"Alternative Medicine" shouldn't be taken over actual Medicines, which ya know, actually work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads