Ruby vs Python?

Watch this thread
LukeM90
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So here's the deal,

I've got a potential job lined up, and so far everythings going great, had a phone interview and they sound really enthusiastic about me etc and want me to come in for a propper interview.

I have been told that if I get the job there will be some room for learning a new skill, as a few technologies are crucial to the companies main products.

That being said I have some choice with some of them, namely to go with Ruby or Python.

I don't really know alot about either of these languages and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

They basicaly have mostly web designers and developers but by the sounds of it most people have "extra" skills that come in handy, and I'd be expected to pick some up myself.

So what do you think is better? and why?
Cal97g
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Python is better because:
It's more widely used
It's nicer to write in
There are actual standards, it's easier to read other peoples code
It's named after Monty Python
There are more libraries and useful variations

Ruby isn't particularly great because:
The amount of people using it is falling
There aren't any standards, people write this language in ridiculously varied ways
There are fewer libraries than Python
LukeM90
Rep:
(Original post by Cal97g)
Python is better because:
It's more widely used
It's nicer to write in
There are actual standards, it's easier to read other peoples code
It's named after Monty Python
There are more libraries and useful variations

Ruby isn't particularly great because:
The amount of people using it is falling
There aren't any standards, people write this language in ridiculously varied ways
There are fewer libraries than Python
Cheers for reply!, I was already sorta pulled in by python I jus wanted some second oppinions.

I seen a few projects online done in python that gave me some good ideas and im eager to get at it.

any good resources for python that you know of?
Cal97g
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LukeM90)
Cheers for reply!, I was already sorta pulled in by python I jus wanted some second oppinions.

I seen a few projects online done in python that gave me some good ideas and im eager to get at it.

any good resources for python that you know of?
The "Learning Python" book by Mark Zusak (Or something like that) is excellent and is the defacto standard Python book. It's a bit long though - the python site may serve you better as I believe they have a tutorial on there.
LukeM90
Rep:
The "Learning Python" book by Mark Zusak (Or something like that) is excellent and is the defacto standard Python book. It's a bit long though - the python site may serve you better as I believe they have a tutorial on there.
cheers! dw I quite like long books if the content is good.

thanks again for the help!
Cal97g
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
cheers! dw I quite like long books if the content is good.

thanks again for the help!
Mark Lutz is the author of "Learning Python" - Authors have similar names
LukeM90
Rep:
Mark Lutz is the author of "Learning Python" - Authors have similar names
I just looked and found some novels or somthing xD

cheers for clearing that up!
User990473
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
So here's the deal,

I've got a potential job lined up, and so far everythings going great, had a phone interview and they sound really enthusiastic about me etc and want me to come in for a propper interview.

I have been told that if I get the job there will be some room for learning a new skill, as a few technologies are crucial to the companies main products.

That being said I have some choice with some of them, namely to go with Ruby or Python.

I don't really know alot about either of these languages and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

They basicaly have mostly web designers and developers but by the sounds of it most people have "extra" skills that come in handy, and I'd be expected to pick some up myself.

By far, Python. :yep: Loads of resources for it and it's probably a bit more versatile. It's easier to code in too.
LukeM90
Rep:
(Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
By far, Python. :yep: Loads of resources for it and it's probably a bit more versatile. It's easier to code in too.
thanks!, tbh the more I look into it the more it appeals lol, just always good to get some extra thoughts.
dopplesoldner
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Just follow this, and you will be a Python programmer in a couple of weeks

http://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/

good luck!

Also, I'd like to add, if you intend to get into Machine Learning and Data Science, python will be very useful!
Jooooshy
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
So here's the deal,

If it's your first language (??) then Python. If it isn't, you probably wouldn't have trouble picking both of them up.

I'd visit http://www.codecademy.com if you feel like dipping your toes in the Ruby pool!
Al-Mudaari
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Look OP, you're going to get not only biased but also subjective replies to these kind of questions. I strongly disagree with the person that said Ruby "has no standards" or the fact that being able to do things in a variety of ways can be considered a negative.

I'd recommend going through this and you'll see my point - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1113611/what-does-ruby-have-that-python-doesnt-and-vice-versa

And go through both of these;
http://www.quora.com/Ruby-vs-Python/...by-over-Python
http://www.quora.com/Ruby-vs-Python/...thon-over-Ruby

The main thing I'd agree with though is that Python is probably easier to learn if you're a beginner.
LukeM90
Rep:
(Original post by Jooooshy)
If it's your first language (??) then Python. If it isn't, you probably wouldn't have trouble picking both of them up.

I'd visit http://www.codecademy.com if you feel like dipping your toes in the Ruby pool!
not first, got a html, javascript, some java but mostly VB

and thanks, for the link etc

never used codecademy before but always heard good things, I usualy learn best by practice and a book xD but tbh tutorials are more or less the same thing.

cheers for the response(s) so far guys.
LukeM90
Rep:
(Original post by dopplesoldner)
Just follow this, and you will be a Python programmer in a couple of weeks

http://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/

good luck!

Also, I'd like to add, if you intend to get into Machine Learning and Data Science, python will be very useful!
thanks, I'll take a look later!

much appreciated.
LukeM90
Rep:
(Original post by Al-Mudaari)
Look OP, you're going to get not only biased but also subjective replies to these kind of questions. I strongly disagree with the person that said Ruby "has no standards" or the fact that being able to do things in a variety of ways can be considered a negative.

I'd recommend going through this and you'll see my point - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...and-vice-versa
I'll give it a read and see what I think,

generaly I was just looking for some direction, I still intend to give both a test to see what I like best but wanted to know what the general feeling was on said languages.

thanks though!
Al-Mudaari
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'll give it a read and see what I think,

generaly I was just looking for some direction, I still intend to give both a test to see what I like best but wanted to know what the general feeling was on said languages.

thanks though!
Sorry I edited it late. Also would recommend going through this;

In my honest opinion though, it's a matter of preference rather than one language being overall superior to the other.
LukeM90
Rep:
(Original post by Al-Mudaari)
Sorry I edited it late. Also would recommend going through this;

In my honest opinion though, it's a matter of preference rather than one language being overall superior to the other.
yeh I guess thats true, well I'll take a look at the stuff anyway and see how I feel after lol,

thanks again.
Chrosson
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
yeh I guess thats true, well I'll take a look at the stuff anyway and see how I feel after lol,

thanks again.
Ruby has a lot of buzz and hype and activity. I'm not sure about what another poster said about numbers are falling...
It seems to be very much a community language - people get involved, release their code for free, other people use it. And it also seems quite hip - I bet you can find far more blog posts about people treading ground before you in ruby than python.
Packaging in ruby seems to be far easier and better (as with the ecosystem in general).

Python packaging in particular sucks. Really badly.
It's less of a 'fun' language and is missing a lot of ruby syntactic sugar.

Personally I prefer python. It gets things done with minimal fuss.
I just can't get over amount of bootstrapping I have to do for a ruby install - I want to install ruby from my package manager and be done with it. But if I do that I'll be a year out of date and be missing half the features mentioned in the latest tutorials. So I have to use RVM or similar. Yuck.
LukeM90
Rep:
(Original post by Chrosson)
Ruby has a lot of buzz and hype and activity. I'm not sure about what another poster said about numbers are falling...
It seems to be very much a community language - people get involved, release their code for free, other people use it. And it also seems quite hip - I bet you can find far more blog posts about people treading ground before you in ruby than python.
Packaging in ruby seems to be far easier and better (as with the ecosystem in general).

Python packaging in particular sucks. Really badly.
It's less of a 'fun' language and is missing a lot of ruby syntactic sugar.

Personally I prefer python. It gets things done with minimal fuss.
I just can't get over amount of bootstrapping I have to do for a ruby install - I want to install ruby from my package manager and be done with it. But if I do that I'll be a year out of date and be missing half the features mentioned in the latest tutorials. So I have to use RVM or similar. Yuck.
wait so with ruby you cant just download the latest release, install it and be done with it?

that'd get old fast.
dopplesoldner
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
One more point which I forgot to mention earlier which might be very helpful for you --

If you are interested in going towards Web development - pick Ruby. The Ruby on Rails is probably the most popular web development framework these days.

If you are interested in Data Science, Machine Learning, Back end algorithms - pick python.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (92)
19.96%
The paper was reasonable (176)
38.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.81%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
16.05%

Watched Threads