-sophia-
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hello!
ive been submitting my college applications in recently and have decided to definitely take Biology, Chemistry and Classical Civilization but i am struggling for my fourth subject - Geography or Government and Politics.

im currently doing Geography at GCSE and i find it ok, i dont particularly dislike it but ii wouldn't say its my favourite thing in the world but i am quite good at it and ive heard that universities really like it

i was also considering Government and Politics because it sounds really interesting although because ive never studied it before, ive no idea if i will be any good at it or if i will even continue to find it interesting after a while, also whether it is good for university

i dont really have an idea of a career at the moment so i think i should just take a varied selection of A Levels (Bio, Chem and Classics at the moment) but i just need to decide between these two now!

any help will be fantastic!
thank you
moggington
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello,

I'm currently studying both Geography and Government and Politics at A2 and got A grades for AS in both subjects last year.

Geography gets more interesting at A Level. It's a 'facilitating subject' so it's good if you're not entirely sure what you want to do in the future, and the physical side of the subject works well with Biology and Chemistry. At A Level, you cover the topics in greater detail and it's much more about current affairs. Difficulty-wise, there's a tiny step up from GCSE but this is just due to longer answer questions. The fieldwork provides you with opportunities to do research/conduct investigations, which employers and universities really value. It's a bit different from GCSE in that, rather than doing fieldwork coursework, you instead write about your findings in the Unit 2 exam. The course used to have a coursework element but it was removed because too many people cheated, haha. It's pretty easy to do well in if you put the work in (and there isn't much to put in to be quite honest) which makes it good for a fourth A Level. A2 is where it gets truly fascinating, but if this is your fourth A Level I presume you'd be unlikely to keep it?

Government and Politics is a brilliant subject, so glad I chose it. Likewise, it's based on current affairs and what's going on in the political world, although you don't get the opportunity to express your own political opinions in the exams, so if this is what you're looking for, you may be disappointed. Everyone in our class found Government and Politics so interesting that they kept it for A2! It's not on the list of 'facilitating subjects', but Russell Groups still regard it as a respected A Level as it is essay-based and has a strong analytical nature. There's only so many questions that they can ask you, so you pretty much only have to learn the arguments in order to do well. A2 is trickier (depending on the option your school chooses), but likewise, this may not apply to you if you only pick it as an AS.

Just a warning - have a look at A Level Biology and Chemistry before you make a solid decision. Very, very different to GCSE. My friend did Biology, Chemistry, English and Government and Politics and struggled with the sciences (many people do) but aced the other two subjects.

I think Geography leaves more opportunities open, but Government and Politics is a very interesting subject and enthusiasm is important at A Level.
-sophia-
Rep:
?
(Original post by moggington)
Hello,

I'm currently studying both Geography and Government and Politics at A2 and got A grades for AS in both subjects last year.

Geography gets more interesting at A Level. It's a 'facilitating subject' so it's good if you're not entirely sure what you want to do in the future, and the physical side of the subject works well with Biology and Chemistry. At A Level, you cover the topics in greater detail and it's much more about current affairs. Difficulty-wise, there's a tiny step up from GCSE but this is just due to longer answer questions. The fieldwork provides you with opportunities to do research/conduct investigations, which employers and universities really value. It's a bit different from GCSE in that, rather than doing fieldwork coursework, you instead write about your findings in the Unit 2 exam. The course used to have a coursework element but it was removed because too many people cheated, haha. It's pretty easy to do well in if you put the work in (and there isn't much to put in to be quite honest) which makes it good for a fourth A Level. A2 is where it gets truly fascinating, but if this is your fourth A Level I presume you'd be unlikely to keep it?

Government and Politics is a brilliant subject, so glad I chose it. Likewise, it's based on current affairs and what's going on in the political world, although you don't get the opportunity to express your own political opinions in the exams, so if this is what you're looking for, you may be disappointed. Everyone in our class found Government and Politics so interesting that they kept it for A2! It's not on the list of 'facilitating subjects', but Russell Groups still regard it as a respected A Level as it is essay-based and has a strong analytical nature. There's only so many questions that they can ask you, so you pretty much only have to learn the arguments in order to do well. A2 is trickier (depending on the option your school chooses), but likewise, this may not apply to you if you only pick it as an AS.

Just a warning - have a look at A Level Biology and Chemistry before you make a solid decision. Very, very different to GCSE. My friend did Biology, Chemistry, English and Government and Politics and struggled with the sciences (many people do) but aced the other two subjects.

I think Geography leaves more opportunities open, but Government and Politics is a very interesting subject and enthusiasm is important at A Level.
thank you so much for the detailed answer!
i really dont know what to do now though because they both sound really good.
i had originally chosen to do government and politics but now im not sure!
i have to take both sciences really because i might do something to do with science at uni so i'll have to grin and bear it but i dont really mind science too much
i was just wondering, what are you planning on doing at uni?
User995789
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by -sophia-)
hello!
ive been submitting my college applications in recently and have decided to definitely take Biology, Chemistry and Classical Civilization but i am struggling for my fourth subject - Geography or Government and Politics.

im currently doing Geography at GCSE and i find it ok, i dont particularly dislike it but ii wouldn't say its my favourite thing in the world but i am quite good at it and ive heard that universities really like it

i was also considering Government and Politics because it sounds really interesting although because ive never studied it before, ive no idea if i will be any good at it or if i will even continue to find it interesting after a while, also whether it is good for university

i dont really have an idea of a career at the moment so i think i should just take a varied selection of A Levels (Bio, Chem and Classics at the moment) but i just need to decide between these two now!

any help will be fantastic!
thank you
Replace Classical Civilization (a soft subject) with Government and Politics (a less soft subject)
-sophia-
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blueray2)
Replace Classical Civilization (a soft subject) with Government and Politics (a less soft subject)
Is Classical Civilization really a soft subject?! I thought it was facilitating because it is Ancient History? oh no i made my choice mainly on that fact
erikk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
any biology students here?
theclicheblonde
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably Geography, Politics is quite specific, but it's up to you
Lunch_Box
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Sorry, never heard that.
-sophia-
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lunch_Box)
Sorry, never heard that.
Well its facilitating so i just assumed so?
User995789
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is Classical Civilization really a soft subject?! I thought it was facilitating because it is Ancient History? oh no i made my choice mainly on that fact
It is soft trust me. Government and politics is less soft.
Lunch_Box
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well its facilitating so i just assumed so?
It's still considered a hard subject, but it's no Further Maths or Chemistry or Physics. Pick whichever you feel you enjoy most and will do best in, not what universities think. Not picking any won't block any potential paths.

By the way, maths looks really good on uni applications.
-sophia-
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lunch_Box)
It's still considered a hard subject, but it's no Further Maths or Chemistry or Physics. Pick whichever you feel you enjoy most and will do best in, not what universities think. Not picking any won't block any potential paths.

By the way, maths looks really good on uni applications.
Ok thank you!
I just wish i was good at maths!
-sophia-
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blueray2)
It is soft trust me. Government and politics is less soft.
Ok thank you for pointing it out to me!
moggington
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
thank you so much for the detailed answer!
i really dont know what to do now though because they both sound really good.
i had originally chosen to do government and politics but now im not sure!
i have to take both sciences really because i might do something to do with science at uni so i'll have to grin and bear it but i dont really mind science too much
i was just wondering, what are you planning on doing at uni?
If you're looking to do something with science at uni, geography would be your best choice. Some universities will accept it as a 'science', it varies from university to university though.

Your best combination is, like the other people here have said, to do both government and politics and geography. It leaves the most options open, and government and politics is less soft than classical civilisation. It is still, however, completely up to you, and most universities (excluding Oxbridge and a few others) generally won't mind if you have 1 'soft' A Level, so long as you've only got the one.

I've applied to study geography, very nearly applied for geography and politics though as I'm really interested in political geographies, but opted for geography on its own in the end as there were more course choices available at more respected universities. Have you got a few ideas of what you might like to do?
-sophia-
Rep:
?
(Original post by moggington)
If you're looking to do something with science at uni, geography would be your best choice. Some universities will accept it as a 'science', it varies from university to university though.

Your best combination is, like the other people here have said, to do both government and politics and geography. It leaves the most options open, and government and politics is less soft than classical civilisation. It is still, however, completely up to you, and most universities (excluding Oxbridge and a few others) generally won't mind if you have 1 'soft' A Level, so long as you've only got the one.

I've applied to study geography, very nearly applied for geography and politics though as I'm really interested in political geographies, but opted for geography on its own in the end as there were more course choices available at more respected universities. Have you got a few ideas of what you might like to do?
Yep I think that im probably going to choose Geography and Politics now!
Geography at university sounds really interesting actually!
I don't really know because i change my mind a lot but i thought genetics or something else with biology, pharmacy or maybe even medicine (but i doubt it) or politics or something? haha i really dont know! but i just hope that when i start college i might get some guidance on what to do
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was faced with this problem due to clashes in the timetable.

Went for Politics, love it

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?