TheLoschadka
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everyone, basically I am deciding on where to apply, and I can't decide between Cambridge Economics, Oxford PPE or Oxford Economics and Management. I love economics and I'm not incredibly passionate about philosophy (although I do find it interesting), but I kind of want to get a broad outlook, on the one hand, which is why I'm considering PPE. E and M seems broader than econ but it seems less focused on my favourite econ topics. What do you think?
Lunch_Box
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheLoschadka)
Hi everyone, basically I am deciding on where to apply, and I can't decide between Cambridge Economics, Oxford PPE or Oxford Economics and Management. I love economics and I'm not incredibly passionate about philosophy (although I do find it interesting), but I kind of want to get a broad outlook, on the one hand, which is why I'm considering PPE. E and M seems broader than econ but it seems less focused on my favourite econ topics. What do you think?
I would say that the Cambridge economics course is the best in the country and is much more mathematical than the Oxford E&M (do you really want to study management?), whilst the Oxford PPE course is likewise the best in the country for their respective courses

It really depends on your preference on the course and what you want to do in the future. For example, if you want to go into politics, then obviously go for PPE since it's the perfect match. But if you want to get into banking, then Cambridge economics is the best that can be offered at undergraduate level.

Also, you must take into account your AS levels. I was able to apply to Cam econ this year because I studied hard to get high AS scores (UMS), which is required in Cambridge (95%+ gives you a good shot, as long as your interview is solid). But if your UMS are low - say sub-90%, then you're unlikely to receive an interview let alone an offer.

Oxford definitely focus more on GCSEs and entrance exams. So for E&M/PPE you will have to sit the TSA, whilst Cam Econ you might not even have to take an entrance exam if you pick a correct college. You have to ask yourself whether the TSA works to your strengths. Not being passionate at Philosophy isn't the end of the world, you will only have to convey some enjoyment for it during the 3 interviews for P, P and E. If i recall correctly, PPE allows you to focus on 2 of the 3 after year 1.

If you need any further advice feel free to PM me, I currently hold an offer for Cambridge Economics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (57)
65.52%
I don't have everything I need (30)
34.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed