Why don't the newer colleges use limestone? Watch

Narutopolaris
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just something that I've been pondering about. In Oxford and Cambridge, the older colleges are all limestone built, but many of the newer ones (e.g. Keble, Robinson, St Hugh's) are red-brick.

I'm not making any judgements, just wondering why that is. Cost? Aesthetics? A desire to difficult?

When did this change occur? Was a sudden transition, or a gradual process? What stimulated this change?

Thanks
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Here's an interesting video about Keble here:

nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Narutopolaris)
Just something that I've been pondering about. In Oxford and Cambridge, the older colleges are all limestone built, but many of the newer ones (e.g. Keble, Robinson, St Hugh's) are red-brick.

I'm not making any judgements, just wondering why that is. Cost? Aesthetics? A desire to difficult?

When did this change occur? Was a sudden transition, or a gradual process? What stimulated this change?

Thanks
Brick, particularly polychromatic brick was very popular in Victorian England. It was undoubtedly a lot cheaper than limestone. Keble is a product of the high/low church wars in the CofE in the 19th century and money was tight because it could only be raised from the high church party. Likewise it was difficult to raise money for women's education at colleges such as St Hughs.

However there is another reason. Oxford (Headington) limestone wears poorly particularly in polluted environments such as 19th century Oxford. It was the architect "Oxford" Jackson who introduced the harder wearing Clipsham Stone to Oxford but of course it was many years before people knew that it was harder wearing. Much of Oxford has been re-faced in Clipsham in the 20th century. In the late 19th century brick would have been seen as the safer bet for many buildings.
Narutopolaris
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Brick, particularly polychromatic brick was very popular in Victorian England. It was undoubtedly a lot cheaper than limestone. Keble is a product of the high/low church wars in the CofE in the 19th century and money was tight because it could only be raised from the high church party. Likewise it was difficult to raise money for women's education at colleges such as St Hughs.

However there is another reason. Oxford (Headington) limestone wears poorly particularly in polluted environments such as 19th century Oxford. It was the architect "Oxford" Jackson who introduced the harder wearing Clipsham Stone to Oxford but of course it was many years before people knew that it was harder wearing. Much of Oxford has been re-faced in Clipsham in the 20th century. In the late 19th century brick would have been seen as the safer bet for many buildings.
Very informative. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.29%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.89%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.07%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.51%
No (255)
71.23%

Watched Threads