cem101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
why is it that goods with a negative externality are overproduced and goods with a positive externality are underproduced?
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Goods with negative externalities (De-merit goods) i.e. Cigaretters, Production work which causes carbon emissions, alcohol.

These goods are over-produced/under-charged if left to a free market. Marginal Private Cost of production is not equivalent to what's considered to be the socially optimum level of output. Taxes can be implemented to shift the MPC to the right to try and equate the MSC to lessen the deadweight loss. The reason goods with negative externalities are over produced is that consumers/manufacturers don't initially see the negative effects of such products (usually de-merit goods) and will continue producing oblivious to negative externalities. Firms won't pay extra just because they pollute although in theory they should pay for that externality being produced to internalise the externality. That's why governments must step in and impose tax/permits etc.. and supply side policies to help pay for the externality.

Name:  negext_p_f.gif
Views: 684
Size:  2.8 KB

Goods with positive externalities (Merit goods) i.e Gym, education & training

These goods are under-produced and under-priced if left to free market forces. These goods provide positive externalities in consumption. By gaining an education it's more beneficial to society as a whole. However these goods are normally under-provided as the effects are usually seen in the long-term and people would be reluctant to pay the initial costs. The governments have made schools available to children to reap the long-term benefits. These goods are under-provided in the free market as people don't see the positive externalities in consumption in the short-term. It would be socially beneficial if society produces more of this good and people are charged a higher price because they are gaining more out of these goods then what they are paying. There paying MSC=MPB where they are actually getting MSC=MSB.

Name:  positive-externality1.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  21.5 KB

Added diagrams to help give a clearer image. Hope this helps in some way. :rolleyes:
cem101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
Goods with negative externalities (De-merit goods) i.e. Cigaretters, Production work which causes carbon emissions, alcohol.

These goods are over-produced/under-charged if left to a free market. Marginal Private Cost of production is not equivalent to what's considered to be the socially optimum level of output. Taxes can be implemented to shift the MPC to the right to try and equate the MSC to lessen the deadweight loss. The reason goods with negative externalities are over produced is that consumers/manufacturers don't initially see the negative effects of such products (usually de-merit goods) and will continue producing oblivious to negative externalities. Firms won't pay extra just because they pollute although in theory they should pay for that externality being produced to internalise the externality. That's why governments must step in and impose tax/permits etc.. and supply side policies to help pay for the externality.

Name:  negext_p_f.gif
Views: 684
Size:  2.8 KB

Goods with positive externalities (Merit goods) i.e Gym, education & training

These goods are under-produced and under-priced if left to free market forces. These goods provide positive externalities in consumption. By gaining an education it's more beneficial to society as a whole. However these goods are normally under-provided as the effects are usually seen in the long-term and people would be reluctant to pay the initial costs. The governments have made schools available to children to reap the long-term benefits. These goods are under-provided in the free market as people don't see the positive externalities in consumption in the short-term. It would be socially beneficial if society produces more of this good and people are charged a higher price because they are gaining more out of these goods then what they are paying. There paying MSC=MPB where they are actually getting MSC=MSB.

Name:  positive-externality1.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  21.5 KB

Added diagrams to help give a clearer image. Hope this helps in some way. :rolleyes:
thanks!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (15)
36.59%
I really love the subject (13)
31.71%