CreatorGal14
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi! I was wondering what you guys would put in a portfolio for Product Design, Animation and Photography? It's always confused me when I see that a portfolio is needed because to me it just seems like a whole load of designs/models/photos? :confused:

I have a really long way to go before thinking about this realistically because I'm in year 11 and I just really wanted to know what kind of things are required and what you actually do for each of these courses because we're starting Sixth Form applications and I have a very vague idea of where I want to be in life, and most of it probably won't happen anyway because I'm probably not good enough for what I would like to do...

Anyway, I'm rambling now, my basic questions were:
What do you put in a portfolio for Product Design/Photography/Animation?
What are these courses like for anyone doing any of them?
moid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's quite a mix of different courses to apply to I can't help much from a product design point of view (I've worked with product designers before, but only to make visualisations of their CAD designs), but for an animation portfolio it will depend on whether you're applying to a commercially focused course or a more fine art experimental course. First thing (for both) is life drawing, you need to show your drawing skills. Perspective drawings are also a good idea to show more technical drawings skills (might be good for product design as well?). Character designs (front, side, back, three quarter, to scale in colour) environment concept images in colour - digitally painted or traditionally done. Any form of animation is a good idea - not necessarily a full film, just some movement tests - a character walking, running , jumping etc, 3D models are good if you're applying to a 3D animation course, photography that shows strong compositon and lighting, realistic anatomy sculptures are good, drawings of animals are useful, especially if done from life while they move (movement studies). For the more fine art courses, really messy experimental abstract collage paint explosion things often go down well... or images that look into deeper subjects - the human condition, philosophy, religion, social issues etc

For a photography portfolio (I've not taught or studied photography, although I have worked as a photographer so take this advice with a pinch of salt) you can just create a selection of images that demonstrate knowledge of composition, lighting, colour, monochrome, photo retouching skills if you have any - show before and after, show shots that demonstrate your technical knowledge of your camera (low lighting, or working with flash tastefully or dealing with photos of very dark objects or very light objects, studio photography), but to go beyond that you should think about subject matter - what is the story in each shot? (unless you want to do product photography of course... although the best product photography tells a story too), do you see yourself as someone who does street photography or are there specific subjects you go and look for in the world - reportage, social issues, fashion, gigs, landscape, food, architecture, interiors, nudes, documentary etc make a series of images around those things that interest you.
littlemissmidget123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
for product design you need to show your thought process unis want to know how you think

you can show a variety of work but try not to make it too fine art heavy and show examples of things youve made/conceptualised
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (7)
17.07%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (11)
26.83%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (2)
4.88%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (5)
12.2%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (1)
2.44%
I think it's an unfair expectation (14)
34.15%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.44%

Watched Threads