The Student Room Group

PCOS acne

I'm in my mid-20s but still have slight PCOS-induced acne. The Pill cleared it completely, but last year I started to get quite severe visual migraines, so I came off the Pill and the migraines stopped but of course the spots came back. Is there anything else I can do?
Are there not other types of the pill that you could try? Not everyone gets on with the first they choose, and you may find that another type gets rid of your spots without having any side effects.
Reply 2
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Are there not other types of the pill that you could try? Not everyone gets on with the first they choose, and you may find that another type gets rid of your spots without having any side effects.

Possibly, although being a hypo I did some Internet-based research which seemed to suggest that those who had experienced severe migraines shouldn't be taking any kind of Pill (and the whole experience rather scared me). Could be wrong though! Thanks for your response. :smile:
You're quite right to say that if you have certain types of migraine you should avoid the combined contraceptive pill (COC) completely - women are advised to stop the COC if they get worsening migraines or any migraines with 'aura'. If you're getting 'visual migraines', by which I assume you mean migraines which cause eye symptoms such as flashing lights before the headache comes on, you must avoid any COC for good. The progesterone only pill doesn't carry the same risks, but unfortunately can make acne worse.
There are lots of topical treatments for acne which can be remarkably effective if you stick with them - probably the most common reason for acne treatments 'failing' is that people assume they haven't worked if thee are no improvements within a couple of weeks. They all take several weeks to work and can take quite a bit longer. They can also cause short term side effects, such as redness, soreness and peeling of the skin, but these side effects often settle if you persevere. You can find out more about the options for treatment on http://www.patient.co.uk/health/acne
Yours sincerely

Dr Sarah Jarvis

Quick Reply

Latest