The Student Room Group

First Tattoo.

I'm meant to be getting my first tattoo end of this month.

I'm getting some song lyric's just under my bra line/ on my ribcase. It's only 14 words. Solid lettering (Not all swirly)
The pain isn't a deciding factor really, I would say my pain tolerance is decent (I do cry if I get cramp in my foot though, but its manageable. I'm not really bothered when I cut my hand or cut myself shaving) I wouldn't say I'm skin and bones, but I don't have that much extra fat.

I'm just looking for how much to expect it to hurt, how long (I have a train to catch after it) and any tips :P
The pain is kind of relative to where you get the tattoo. I've heard that under the breast and the ribs are quite bad for pain because there isn't that much flesh there. I've got 2 tattoos and I wouldn't say that the pain lasts for long after you get it done, it's more of an annoying, burning sensation than actual full on pain. As far as tips go, just keep it clean and don't pick any scabs! Otherwise you can get areas where the colour drops out and then have to go and get it touched up. It can get quite itchy but try not to scratch it because as I said it'll remove scabs and then it'll look all patchy and weird.
Hope it all goes well! :h:
Reply 2
Original post by smudge_moon
I'm meant to be getting my first tattoo end of this month.

I'm getting some song lyric's just under my bra line/ on my ribcase. It's only 14 words. Solid lettering (Not all swirly)
The pain isn't a deciding factor really, I would say my pain tolerance is decent (I do cry if I get cramp in my foot though, but its manageable. I'm not really bothered when I cut my hand or cut myself shaving) I wouldn't say I'm skin and bones, but I don't have that much extra fat.

I'm just looking for how much to expect it to hurt, how long (I have a train to catch after it) and any tips :P

My tip would be don't get it. Tattoos are common and look horrible.
Reply 3
It will hurt. Not so bad it's not manageable but the rib cage is a sensitive area for most people. The first few lines are the toughest until you get used to it.

1 week before the tattoo apply a lotion like Palmers cocoa butter in the area to be tattooed everyday, but NOT on the day you are being tattooed. It will soften the skin and make the ink go in very well. I did this recently for my leg and it made so much difference.

Don't work yourself up too much and eat a decent meal. Take a chocolate bar with you. You probably won't need it, but it's handy to have one for longer sessions.

How long it will take is really dependent on the artist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending