cmpglmi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ok so for those of you who like me got rejected from Cambridge for whatever reason and are wishing to reapply, I've created this thread so we can all post our plans and just generally help each other with reapplying for entry in 2015.
Emsc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just found out I got rejected from Emmanuel for Phys NatSci (after being pooled). The thing is, I only just turned 17 mid november, so I think I might as well try again next year. That would involve declining Imperial College (Chemistry), and having to take a gap year. The only thing I'm unsure about is what to do duringthe gap year, because I obviously want to do something science related as to maximise my chances, but I don't really know what there is to do. If anyone has any suggestions/advice, please share.
cmpglmi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emsc)
I just found out I got rejected from Emmanuel for Phys NatSci (after being pooled). The thing is, I only just turned 17 mid november, so I think I might as well try again next year. That would involve declining Imperial College (Chemistry), and having to take a gap year. The only thing I'm unsure about is what to do duringthe gap year, because I obviously want to do something science related as to maximise my chances, but I don't really know what there is to do. If anyone has any suggestions/advice, please share.
Sorry about the rejection! You're lucky you are 17! I read that cambridge doesn't to take people that are below 18 because they feel that they are not mature enough (or something along those lines), so your chances may be a but better next year whereby they will think you are of age (:
And I'm the same too, I have no idea what I will do on my gap year either, but just check around online! Theres probably loads of science related things to do, maybe get an internship even if it would be unpaid you would still get the experience, and theres many gap year organisations too!
Will you apply to a different college if you apply?
Emsc
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cmpglmi)
Sorry about the rejection! You're lucky you are 17! I read that cambridge doesn't to take people that are below 18 because they feel that they are not mature enough (or something along those lines), so your chances may be a but better next year whereby they will think you are of age (:
And I'm the same too, I have no idea what I will do on my gap year either, but just check around online! Theres probably loads of science related things to do, maybe get an internship even if it would be unpaid you would still get the experience, and theres many gap year organisations too!
Will you apply to a different college if you apply?
I think It's a good idea to apply to a different college, just so that you don't feel like you're simply repeating last year's interview. Also, Clare would have been my first choice, but they explicitly stated on their website that they prefer candidates to be at least 18 when they start.
What subject/college did you apply to?
cmpglmi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emsc)
I think It's a good idea to apply to a different college, just so that you don't feel like you're simply repeating last year's interview. Also, Clare would have been my first choice, but they explicitly stated on their website that they prefer candidates to be at least 18 when they start.
What subject/college did you apply to?
I applied for Land Economy at Murray Edwards, but I didn't really want to go there, my uni supervisor just told me it would be easiest to get in there, I kind of wish I didn't listen to him now and that i researched for myself.
did you receive any feedback as to why you were rejected?
Musicy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'll reapply for economics if I achieve high grades this summer.
Musicy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I applied for Land Economy at Murray Edwards, but I didn't really want to go there, my uni supervisor just told me it would be easiest to get in there, I kind of wish I didn't listen to him now and that i researched for myself.
did you receive any feedback as to why you were rejected?
Hi, I just wonder what's the difference between economics and land economy? What's the career you will be in if u have a land economy degree?
cmpglmi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Musicy)
Hi, I just wonder what's the difference between economics and land economy? What's the career you will be on if u have a land economy degree?
Land economy is more like geography, law, and economics combined into one course, so it is kind of like economics but just very focused on geographical issues and how to deal with them. Cambridge says that it leads to:

• Building control surveyor
  • Building surveyor
  • Civil engineering surveyor
  • Insurance risk surveyor
  • Planning and development surveyor
  • Quantity surveyor
  • Rural practice surveyor
  • Urban general practice surveyor

I would personally like to work in a large firm and help them with their environmental issues and how to be more "green".
Hope that helps! Its a really interesting course

Have you already applied to cambridge?
cmpglmi
Rep:
?
I'll reapply for economics if I achieve high grades this summer.
Oh just seen this, which college had you applied to?
PhysicsLeopard
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Emsc)
hello! I'm sorry about your rejection I'm here if you have any questions about reapplying - I'd be happy to help. I got pooled and rejected by Downing for physnatsci last year, reapplied and now hold an unconditional offer (from Newnham though, after being pooled this year too, from Catz). I also have two good friends who reapplied - one for physnatsci, and one for physics at oxford (*shakes fist*), after being rejected from cambridge last year, and they've both got offers too.

It's not a task to be taken lightly, but it's definitely possible, and the gap year won't be a negative if you have good grades and you show that you haven't forgotten your maths
Musicy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Land economy is more like geography, law, and economics combined into one course, so it is kind of like economics but just very focused on geographical issues and how to deal with them. Cambridge says that it leads to:

• Building control surveyor
  • Building surveyor
  • Civil engineering surveyor
  • Insurance risk surveyor
  • Planning and development surveyor
  • Quantity surveyor
  • Rural practice surveyor
  • Urban general practice surveyor

I would personally like to work in a large firm and help them with their environmental issues and how to be more "green".
Hope that helps! Its a really interesting course

Have you already applied to cambridge?
it sounds interesting, do u need to sit any admission test for land economy? And can you work in investment banks if u have a degree in L.E, sorry for so many questions, it is just a totally new thing to me.
Musicy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh just seen this, which college had you applied to?
homerton, which college did you apply to this year?
cmpglmi
Rep:
?
it sounds interesting, do u need to sit any admission test for land economy? And can you work in investment banks if u have a degree in L.E, sorry for so many questions, it is just a totally new thing to me.

I applied to Murray Edwards so they don't require any tests, just essays (:
I don't think they require a specific degree, I think as long as you have a degree and a background in economics, business, or maths, then you qualify for that type of job. Land economy would be perfectly suitable as they teach a bit of everything--even statistics!
no its okay, ask away
Musicy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I applied to Murray Edwards so they don't require any tests, just essays (:
I don't think they require a specific degree, I think as long as you have a degree and a background in economics, business, or maths, then you qualify for that type of job. Land economy would be perfectly suitable as they teach a bit of everything--even statistics!
no its okay, ask away
Thanks what type of question did they ask in interview, maths, economics, geography? I just googled it and saw ppl say that it is mainly based on law studies. I would definitely not take it if that's true as i have no interest in law:P are u going to reapply next year?
jessology
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I will be if I get a UCL rejection. I need to live around an hour away from where I am now at least due to family commitments. I've been pooled at least, and I know that it was my interview that let me down, so I would have a stronger application to bring to the table next time round. I can use my summer break to build up more experience and hopefully wow them

Feel weird saying this as I completely applied to Cambridge on a whim, but I've had a bite of the apple now
Musicy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jessology)
I will be if I get a UCL rejection. I need to live around an hour away from where I am now at least due to family commitments. I've been pooled at least, and I know that it was my interview that let me down, so I would have a stronger application to bring to the table next time round. I can use my summer break to build up more experience and hopefully wow them

Feel weird saying this as I completely applied to Cambridge on a whim, but I've had a bite of the apple now :
Same, haven't heard anything from ucl yet, what's the course you applied to? Don't really want to take a year off but have to if first three choices are all failed.:P
jessology
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Same, haven't heard anything from ucl yet, what's the course did you apply to? Don't really want to take a year off but have to if first three choices are all failed.:
Anthropology. I'm worried as I don't have a Biology qualification, but my college timetable wouldn't allow it. Already had my LSE rejection. How about you?
bobster1903
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To anyone thinking of reapplying,

From personal experience, I know right now feels like the lowest of lows. Last year it seemed as if getting into Cambridge was everything that my life had been working towards, so it was devastating and also infuriating (I don't think I was treated fairly by one of my interviewers) when I found out about my rejection by Clare for Maths.

However, I let my rejection motivate me. I was still determined to go to Cambridge so I worked my arse off for the rest of the year for my A-levels and also STEP. Reapplying was something I had prepared for, so when I found out my results on August 15th (and was happy with them) I decided to decline my Imperial offer and take a gap year.

Throughout my gap year so far I've been acutely aware of the risk I'd taken. It is arguably harder to get into Cambridge on a gap year (the acceptance percentage is lower than for year 13 applicants and admissions tutors will take into account the fact you've had an extra year of education than your competition). By reapplying you run the risk of going through the same pain and anguish for a second time, and still end up going to a different uni to Cambridge only a year older, while your friends are off having the time of their lives at uni.

On Saturday I found out that I've got an unconditional at Queens' for Maths starting in October. The one thing that has really struck me about this whole thing is that my overwhelming feeling now is of vindication and relief than happiness.

I've also spent my gap year applying to America (Harvard, Mit and Stanford), which is something you might want to consider if you do choose to reapply. I'm not sure what I'd do if I got into any of my American Colleges but that's something I'll think about if the time comes.

By the way, don't assume that the unis which give you offers now will welcome you back with open arms if you choose to reapply. Imperial have rejected me this year and I'm pretty sure it's not got anything to do with my academics (5A*s at A-Level and S,S in STEP II and III).

I do wonder if I was better off just going to Imperial (which is a sick uni of course) in September and leaving Cambridge behind. I'll never know I guess but I'm just going to try and make the most of the situation I have now.

Overall, I would say only to reapply to Cambridge if you are:
a) confident your academics will be strong enough to make up for poor interview performance.
b) prepared for the very same pain you're currently feeling. It will be worse the second time round for sure, as you'll feel as if you've wasted your year.

Good luck either way and feel free to ask if you want to know more about my experience!
Musicy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jessology)
Anthropology. I'm worried as I don't have a Biology qualification, but my college timetable wouldn't allow it. Already had my LSE rejection. How about you?
I was rejected from lse too:'( Did u ask them if they mind it ? I applied to homerton for economics, rejected right away and quite disappointed as I thought they would have pooled me at least, sad sigh
Curious56
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I applied to Cambridge for Chemical Engineering (via Engineering) for 2014 entry and was unsuccessful. I haven't read the feedback yet which is probably wise to do before coming to any sort of decision on whether or not to re-apply.

I hold an offer to study Chemical Engineering (MEng) at Manchester which is also a highly reputable course, I believe it's ranked 3rd best in most league tables for Chem Eng concerning UK universities and I do really like it there. I would only consider re-applying if I achieved 3A*s in Maths Chem Physics and an A in AS Further Maths this year (I also have 2 A's in AS Biology and Critical Thinking)

However I don't know if it's worthwhile risking sacrificing my offers to Manchester, Leeds & Sheffield, even if I did achieve those grades just in order to re-apply to Cambridge & Imperial.

Any thoughts?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads