The Student Room Group

gcse maths

is it worth retaking GCSE Maths, I got an A and i only need this to get into 6th form at my school. But i was wondering if it would improve my chances of getting into university/jobs if i got the A*.
Is it worth it considering that i will have around 20 other exams in May/June
Original post by sachin_28
is it worth retaking GCSE Maths, I got an A and i only need this to get into 6th form at my school. But i was wondering if it would improve my chances of getting into university/jobs if i got the A*.
Is it worth it considering that i will have around 20 other exams in May/June

No, not really. Unless you're looking for a very competitive maths based course at university where it is expected you would get an A* in maths, I doubt there would be any tangible benefit (unless you think you can get an A* with very little extra effort).
Congrats on your A!:banana: I think, You're in a good position where you are now. As you've said roughly 20 more exams.. I dont think its worth retaking, because you'd be putting yourself under alot more pressure and may not do as well on the other exams. As far as I know the boundary between A-A* isnt that much? yeah it looks pretty but think about your other exams too, bottom line; It is up to you and what you feel comfortable with, one again congrats on your grade and all the best with your other exams! :headbang:
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
No, not really. Unless you're looking for a very competitive maths based course at university where it is expected you would get an A* in maths, I doubt there would be any tangible benefit (unless you think you can get an A* with very little extra effort).

thats the thing, im looking at economics at LSE/UCL or mechanical engineering at Imperial..
thats the thing, im looking at economics at LSE/UCL or mechanical engineering at Imperial..

I'm pretty certain that you need an A* at A Level maths to do Mechanical engineering at Imperial; not sure about economics at LSE or UCL. I think it would look very odd on your application form if you didn't have an A* in GCSE Maths unless you had absolutely incredible AS results. In your case, I'd speak to your teacher for their advice, but it may be a good idea resitting it.
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile
I'm pretty certain that you need an A* at A Level maths to do Mechanical engineering at Imperial; not sure about economics at LSE or UCL. I think it would look very odd on your application form if you didn't have an A* in GCSE Maths unless you had absolutely incredible AS results. In your case, I'd speak to your teacher for their advice, but it may be a good idea resitting it.

thanks! and by incredible, i take it you mean 4 A's?
thanks! and by incredible, i take it you mean 4 A's?

4 As goes without saying. Imperial's standard offer for Mechanical engineering is A*AAA or A*A*A, so they would need to be certain that you can achieve that.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest