Applying for Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning

Watch this thread
TheChronicOne
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey,

I'm thinking of applying for a few masters in machine learning and artificial intelligence. The only problem is most of those courses require strong maths/ statistics backgrounds to get in. I come from a business information systems background and have strong coding skills in a few languages, and have 6 moths industry experience as a developer. I've studied basic statistics and my final year research project is on Machine learning.

Ive only self taught myself required maths/statistics skills. So does anybody know will I have a problem getting accepted due to no formal education in Maths / statistics.?

Thanks,

Steve
sliceofcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheChronicOne)
Hey,

I'm thinking of applying for a few masters in machine learning and artificial intelligence. The only problem is most of those courses require strong maths/ statistics backgrounds to get in. I come from a business information systems background and have strong coding skills in a few languages, and have 6 moths industry experience as a developer. I've studied basic statistics and my final year research project is on Machine learning.

Ive only self taught myself required maths/statistics skills. So does anybody know will I have a problem getting accepted due to no formal education in Maths / statistics.?

Thanks,

Steve
My boyfriend is currently doing a similar masters degree with no formal Maths education. He said as far as he knows, masters courses like that assume you don't really have the maths education and will give you a crash course in it so you can catch up quickly.
From seeing the work he does I imagine that maths/statistics education would be of great benefit but it's not necessary. You seem like you'd be able to make a strong statement in your application so I think you'd probably manage to get in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (266)
42.56%
The paper was reasonable (258)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (56)
8.96%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.2%

Watched Threads