I'm stuck choosing between Manchester and Bristol (for Chemistry), help. Watch

loubeer47
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Manchester is like 3 hours away for me but Bristol is only an hour or so. Then there's the accommodation, Manchester's is much nicer. I think I'd probably be happy at either place but i don't really know ... opinions?
FlyHigh_er
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I'm going to be stuck making this decision too once I've visited Bristol on the 29th. I loved Manchester though. I applied for Geology.

It depends which you prefer, large /medium city; Manchester uni is also larger than Bristol; graduate employment; opportunities like study abroad; course modules.

Which one are you more swung towards at the moment??

Posted from TSR Mobile
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FlyHigh_er)
It depends which you prefer, large /medium city; Manchester uni is also larger than Bristol; graduate employment; opportunities like study abroad; course modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not clear what you are assuming from this - that because Manchester is larger is will offer more of those things? I'd lay money on the fact that the proportionate chance of your participation is much greater at Bristol because it has the same opportunities and a fraction the number of students!
kateamber
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in the same position, choosing between the two for Neuroscience
FlyHigh_er
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
It's not clear what you are assuming from this - that because Manchester is larger is will offer more of those things? I'd lay money on the fact that the proportionate chance of your participation is much greater at Bristol because it has the same opportunities and a fraction the number of students!
No, I mean the student population and the city population. Depending where the person is coming from and what they're like they will want different things.

I know, having been there, Bristol is a city that has a town feel whereas Manchester is a full out city.

Also, in regards to your last point, it really depends, at Manchester there are more people so hence, more potential characters to meet, more likely different interests, more likely more opportunities. But one can't know categorically without being to both. They're both big so either one would be sufficient.

Posted from TSR Mobile
goonermk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Interesting, I'm choosing between the same 2 unis, albeit for Law. (Bristol for Law, Manchester for Law + Politics)

Ultimately I believe I will choose Bristol, due to prestige and its rating for law. Bristol is supposedly harder to get the offer from as well (LNAT uni).

I do prefer Manchester for the life there, but life at Bristol doesn't look bad.

Good luck OP.
InadequateJusticex
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by loubeer47)
Manchester is like 3 hours away for me but Bristol is only an hour or so. Then there's the accommodation, Manchester's is much nicer. I think I'd probably be happy at either place but i don't really know ... opinions?
I'm a chemist at Bristol and I love it here. Manchester was nice when I went for my interview, but at the end of the day Bristol's facilities (Chemlabs make your life SO much easier) was the deciding factor. Not to mention Bristol is slightly more prestigious which always helps
a1exandra
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Having the same problem! I feel ya! I've applied for anthropology.

Manchester offered me ABB and Bristol offered me BBC so I'm most likely going to insure Bristol and firm Manc.

Manc is a much larger city, it depends where you prefer, I currently live very close to Birmingham and love my city. Manc and brum are very close which is a huge plus for me.

Manchester also offer me the opportunity to study abroad for a year which I don't think Bristol does.

However there are a lot of different benefits regarding money and scholarships etc and Bristol.

I don't know at the end of the day, I've got a long hard think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
InadequateJusticex
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by a1exandra)

Manchester offered me ABB and Bristol offered me BBC so I'm most likely going to insure Bristol and firm Manc.

Manc is a much larger city, it depends where you prefer, I currently live very close to Birmingham and love my city. Manc and brum are very close which is a huge plus for me.

Manchester also offer me the opportunity to study abroad for a year which I don't think Bristol does.

However there are a lot of different benefits regarding money and scholarships etc and Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. My old flatmate chose to go to Bristol instead of LSE for Arch and Anth so...I'll let that speak for itself
2. Bristol does offer you to study for a year abroad
FlyHigh_er
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
In in the same boat for geology and one of my friends is for the same course as you, although she's also considering Durham more strongly atm. Did you apply for the new course of anthro at Bristol or the biological one?

For your reasons there, especially the study abroad which is a lot better than Bristol's, and graduate prospects for my course are better at Manchester, is why I'm leaning towards Manchester.

Have you been to either. I went to Manchester for my interview. Going to UCL on wed, and Bristol next wed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Solivagant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by loubeer47)
Aren't the offers for the two for chemistry really different? Couldn't you just firm Bristol as the higher offer and insure Manchester?

I didn't particularly like Bristol when I went on my chemistry visit day, but I loved Manchester.
a1exandra
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In in the same boat for geology and one of my friends is for the same course as you, although she's also considering Durham more strongly atm. Did you apply for the new course of anthro at Bristol or the biological one?

For your reasons there, especially the study abroad which is a lot better than Bristol's, and graduate prospects for my course are better at Manchester, is why I'm leaning towards Manchester.

Have you been to either. I went to Manchester for my interview. Going to UCL on wed, and Bristol next wed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been to Manchester but not Bristol as Bristol was a last minute decision for me but I'll hopefully attend the applicant day I think I've applied for the BSc at Bristol too.

I feel more at home at Manchester and Manchester is 6th in the country for my course too yet Bristol is a better uni. I don't know though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
FlyHigh_er
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've been to Manchester but not Bristol as Bristol was a last minute decision for me but I'll hopefully attend the applicant day I think I've applied for the BSc at Bristol too.

I feel more at home at Manchester and Manchester is 6th in the country for my course too yet Bristol is a better uni. I don't know though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same, I can see myself at Manchester but I'm gonna keep an open mind when I visit Bristol and UCL. I've decided I'll firm on the weekend after I go to Bristol otherwise I'll keep deliberating, I'm very indecisive. XD I'm sure each uni will get you the job you want after just fine.

How far are you from each uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
a1exandra
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Same, I can see myself at Manchester but I'm gonna keep an open mind when I visit Bristol and UCL. I've decided I'll firm on the weekend after I go to Bristol otherwise I'll keep deliberating, I'm very indecisive. XD I'm sure each uni will get you the job you want after just fine.

How far are you from each uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest, there's not much in it for me. I live near birmingham so it's about an hour and a half to Manchester and slightly more (I think?) to Bristol. Best thing to do is definitely keep an open mind when we visit though as you said! Same, this is such a huge change for me that I want to get it perfect!

Posted from TSR Mobile
InadequateJusticex
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Voltozonic)
Come to Manchester.

Bristol's ****e.
Bristol > Manchester for Chemistry.
/endtopic
FlyHigh_er
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, there's not much in it for me. I live near birmingham so it's about an hour and a half to Manchester and slightly more (I think?) to Bristol. Best thing to do is definitely keep an open mind when we visit though as you said! Same, this is such a huge change for me that I want to get it perfect!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Manchester is like 1 hr 45 mins away and Bristol 2 and a half hours, I think anyway. I actually can't wait to go uni, the town I live in is so boring XD I hope I don't get to UCL tomorrow and keep going, "hmm, but Manchester had this or Manchester did this" *facepalm*

Posted from TSR Mobile
InadequateJusticex
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Manchester is like 1 hr 45 mins away and Bristol 2 and a half hours, I think anyway. I actually can't wait to go uni, the town I live in is so boring XD I hope I don't get to UCL tomorrow and keep going, "hmm, but Manchester had this or Manchester did this" *facepalm*

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest...you seem pretty set on Manchester, I highly doubt you'll want to suddenly change to Bristol nor UCL
FlyHigh_er
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by InadequateJusticex)
To be honest...you seem pretty set on Manchester, I highly doubt you'll want to suddenly change to Bristol nor UCL
I agree, whenever I talk about uni, Manchester is my default uni. I'm just making sure by visiting, you never know what could happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (46)
67.65%
No I haven't decided yet (15)
22.06%
Yes but I might change my mind (7)
10.29%

Watched Threads