The Student Room Group

Top EU official says we want EU superstate where with no national governments

Scroll to see replies

What about when Turkey join the EU ?

What about Albania ?

Do you want them coming to Britain ?

The European Union's long-term plans are to integrate North Africa into Europe via something called the Barcelona Agreement.

We simply have to leave, like Farage said, he would rather be poor and have less immigrants in Britain. Some things are more important than money.
If Britain ever becomes part of a superstate, I will buy a shotgun, grown my own food and never leave my land ever again. No taxes, no hassle.
Reply 22
Towards world government. We said it would happen and you called us "conspiracy theorists", words not so lightly thrown as well.
Reply 23
Original post by Martyn*
Towards world government. We said it would happen and you called us "conspiracy theorists", words not so lightly thrown as well.

Actually I agree with you. To date we have a number of prospective unions which if they developed would mean a great step toward..

EU
3 African Unions
Union of the Mediterranean
South American Union
Gulf Confederation

Blocks are forming. They will either continue to do so or war between them will be the result.
Reply 24
If a United States of Europe was to be a success, all the crappy (Eastern) countries would have to be discluded.
Reply 25
Original post by Jefferson Disk
Makes sense. A 'United States of Europe' would be a superpower with the largest, most advanced...army in the world.

Depends who is in this EU superstate. Without the UK, the EU would have almost no expeditionary capability.

Original post by Jefferson Disk
There will be no war. We are already the first generation ever to experience a time without armed conflicts in Europe, thanks to the existence of the EU.

Really?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conflicts_in_Europe#21st_century

We are lucky to be in North-Western Europe which has largely been conflict free (with some notable exceptions such as Northern Ireland). Never place a bet against war.
Original post by flugelr
Depends who is in this EU superstate. Without the UK, the EU would have almost no expeditionary capability.

Really?

We are lucky to be in North-Western Europe which has largely been conflict free (with some notable exceptions such as Northern Ireland). Never place a bet against war.

Firstly, the EU and mainly the Eurozone are currently on a path to a federated state. This will happen with or without the UK in the EU.

Secondly, as I said in a previous post, I meant that countries within the EU would never resort to war with other member states (IRA is a terrorist organisation, proscribed in the UK under the Terrorism Act 2000). This is one of the greatest achievements of the EU as "for over six decades it contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe", which is exactly why it won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2012.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ace123
you are forgetting the troubles in Russia/Georgia, Franco in Spain, IRA bombings, ETA bombings, Turkey invading Cyprus, not to even mention the Baklans all of which has happened since WW2,

With the exception of the IRA and ETA, all of the aforementioned conflicts occurred between non-EU members (Cyprus and some Balkan countries have joined since, but weren't members at the time).

Personally I don't think this is because of the EU, but just pointing out the problems of the argument.
Reply 28
I dont like the idea of the EU superstate. Hopefully we'll leave.

And at the whole war in europe thing. Alot of reasons for no wars, I expect the EU has little to do with it truth be told. Biggest I expect being that all of the european countries are currently ruled by democracy, instead of dictatorships so no more powermad peeps trying to rule the world.
(edited 10 years ago)
In the long term, I think a European Federal State would be a good thing. Nation-states are rightly being eroded and this would be the final nail in the coffin, at least with regard to Europe.

However, the current shape of the EU puts me off for the moment. It is far too neoliberal, anti-worker and pro-bank, as well as being pretty undemocratic. Until these issues have been addressed (and I think it will take a shock to the system, which may include a British exit, to do that), full federalism should not be on the table.

The basic process of increasing internationalisation however has been going on since the end of WW2 and is inevitable. People need to hurry up and acknowledge that so we can address the more important question of what we want globalisation to look like.
Original post by flugelr

The wars listed there were all very small, and many occured in areas in the far east of Europe (such as in Georgia). The only one which concerned an EU country was the conflict with Spain and Morocco, and even that had no casualties.
Reply 31
If there is going to be an EU super state, it would only be fair for it to have a president & governors like the USA. It would also need to reduce in size. Too bad that's not going to happen due to the current corrupt and power hungry EU commission.

Original post by Skip_Snip
If a United States of Europe was to be a success, all the crappy (Eastern) countries would have to be discluded.

To be honest, the southern European countries (i.e Greece, Portugal, Spain, & Italy) are in worse shape than a lot of eastern Europe (for the most part) at the moment.
Reply 32
Original post by No Man
If there is going to be an EU super state, it would only be fair for it to have a president & governors like the USA. It would also need to reduce in size. Too bad that's not going to happen due to the current corrupt and power hungry EU commission.

To be honest, the southern European countries (i.e Greece, Portugal, Spain, & Italy) are in worse shape than a lot of eastern Europe (for the most part) at the moment.

so you would like the UK to have no Parliament and just a governor ridiculous war before that happens
Reply 33
the fact that there's an official in the european commission saying "I want to expand my government" is just ringing off warning alarms in my mind - this man wants more power for himself, clearly. a unitary europe would be to remove all the democratic progress this continent has enjoyed for all this time. european countries (western europe at least, especially scandinavia) are the most democratic in the world, so this taking away of local self-determination would be to force these countries to follow the wills of other countries over their own. this is unjustifiable. this is absurd. the EU is already a democratic poison, this will simply serve to throw the UK into the drainpipe. to have a huge unitary union is to deprive the individual of his democratic weight in his own country. to create an EU superstate, obviously, would be to make most people's opinions in isolation be almost completely meaningless.

instead of having a federal EU, we should leave the EU and have a federal UK - we should go in the totally opposite direction; from less democracy to more. the fact that 7 people actually said "yes" to this question quite frankly terrifies me. I had no idea that even that many people in the UK wanted to actively oust their local democracy in favour of the votes of other countries over their own.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Ace123
so you would like the UK to have no Parliament and just a governor ridiculous war before that happens

Can you tell me how the House of Commons & House of Lords are beneficial? Other than being a tourist attraction?
Reply 35
New world order.
O.O
Original post by anarchism101
In the long term, I think a European Federal State would be a good thing. Nation-states are rightly being eroded and this would be the final nail in the coffin, at least with regard to Europe.

However, the current shape of the EU puts me off for the moment. It is far too neoliberal, anti-worker and pro-bank, as well as being pretty undemocratic. Until these issues have been addressed (and I think it will take a shock to the system, which may include a British exit, to do that), full federalism should not be on the table.

The basic process of increasing internationalisation however has been going on since the end of WW2 and is inevitable. People need to hurry up and acknowledge that so we can address the more important question of what we want globalisation to look like.

Agreed. The current EU isn't brilliant, but if they got it right I think it could be a good thing for Europe as a whole.
(edited 10 years ago)
Bloody hell, so many people are misinformed!
Original post by John Stuart Mill
I hope they respect cultural diversity; i'd hate to see a common language imposed on all Europeans.

The European union does great work towards enriching culture. As for language, the EU has 24 "official and working languages" at the moment, and that wouldn't decrease.

Original post by Ace123
you are forgetting the troubles in Russia/Georgia, Franco in Spain, IRA bombings, ETA bombings, Turkey invading Cyprus, not to even mention the Baklans all of which has happened since WW2,

All of those conflicts were either internal terrorism or between countries that weren't in the EU at the time. Which I think is pretty telling of what the EU can do.

Original post by Ace123
My favourite line from the article- 'We assume Britain's leaving the EU so we don't even bother thinking about British sensitivities at the moment'

Thank god for that

I saw that quote and it set alarm bells ringing. The eloquent writings of an EU official, with the phrase "we don't even bother"? I did a search for it and couldn't find a name of the official that said it. It might not be a lie, but it just doesn't sound like official language to me.

Original post by Ace123
Probably because the EU can only just function using billions of UK money without us they will never balance the books

Haha, right. The richest country in the EU is Germany, and despite being the second richest country in the EU, Britain only comes fourth in terms of contributions to the EU budget overall, giving half of what Italy gives, which is in third place. And it gets worse when you make it relative to GDP and population. When taken as a percentage of GDP, we become seventh. And we come eighth when measured per capita.
On to page 2.
Original post by democracyforum
What about when Turkey join the EU ?

What about Albania ?

Do you want them coming to Britain ?

The European Union's long-term plans are to integrate North Africa into Europe via something called the Barcelona Agreement.

We simply have to leave, like Farage said, he would rather be poor and have less immigrants in Britain. Some things are more important than money.
OH GOD! OTHER WHITE PEOPLE ARE FINE, BUT BLACKS? GOD NO!
(before I get flamed, that was obviously sarcasm intended to point out hte blatant racism in DF's post)

Original post by Skip_Snip

Why? If we unite with those countries, we can try to help their economies, and if their economies are stronger, there is a larger global market for trade. Win-win in the end.

Original post by flugelr

See my above post on both points.

Original post by GrumpyCat
I dont like the idea of the EU superstate. Hopefully we'll leave.

And at the whole war in europe thing. Alot of reasons for no wars, I expect the EU has little to do with it truth be told. Biggest I expect being that all of the european countries are currently ruled by democracy, instead of dictatorships so no more powermad peeps trying to rule the world.

So, the fact that the European Union bans member states from declaring war on each other has nothing to do with the fact that no EU member state has declared war on another? Interesting.
Original post by Ace123

The EU has a parliament that you vote for. The system of election for the EU parliament is actually more democratic than our own, it follows proportional representation.

Original post by Monkey.Man
the fact that there's an official in the european commission saying "I want to expand my government" is just ringing off warning alarms in my mind - this man wants more power for himself, clearly. a unitary europe would be to remove all the democratic progress this continent has enjoyed for all this time. european countries (western europe at least, especially scandinavia) are the most democratic in the world, so this taking away of local self-determination would be to force these countries to follow the wills of other countries over their own. this is unjustifiable. this is absurd. the EU is already a democratic poison, this will simply serve to throw the UK into the drainpipe. to have a huge unitary union is to deprive the individual of his democratic weight in his own country. to create an EU superstate, obviously, would be to make most people's opinions in isolation be almost completely meaningless.

instead of having a federal EU, we should leave the EU and have a federal UK - we should go in the totally opposite direction; from less democracy to more. the fact that 7 people actually said "yes" to this question quite frankly terrifies me. I had no idea that even that many people in the UK wanted to actively oust their local democracy in favour of the votes of other countries over their own.

I guess its because I look to places like Scandinavia and see their political values as being more far, more forward-thinking, more progressive and having better effects than the likes of the Tory Party.

On losing our own national voice and self-determination - what about when we colonised Scotland and Wales? What about when England was unified from the many tribal kingdoms that existed before it? Where I live, barely anyone votes Tory. We almost all strongly disagree with tory politics, and yet the tories rule us. This is no different to what would happen in the EU. There will always be a region that disagrees with the politics being used, and having just a federal voice won't solve it. When a whole region can get together though, a region rich in cultural heritage - the region that gave birth to the study of politics itself and decide what is best, that to me is better than 600 public school boys in London arguing about very little.

The thing I'm surprised no-one has really touched on is the bureaucracy. As I mentioned, the EU has some 24 languages used in its parliaments. When Turkey joins, there'll be 25. That means each statement made has to be translated 25 times. Decisions would take forever to be made.

I actually would support more coorporation in Europe but that last issue would have to be addressed fully.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ace123

The UK would still have a Parliament in a federal Europe, just as each of the the constituent states in the federal systems of the USA, Germany, Spain, Australia, etc all have their own legislatures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending