Stay at Essex or transfer to Lancaster? Watch

This discussion is closed.
JordanC55
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys, just a quick question really!

I recently got into Essex university, which was my insurance, and while I don't hate it I sometimes feel like it's too far from home (Newcastle) so I sent a few emails out to various universities about transferring...

I got average a-levels at A2 (ACC) after attaining strong AS results and being predicted AAB... One of the contributing factors was my dad getting diagnosed with bowel cancer and my aunt receiving a diagnosis of terminal pancreatic cancer; so it was a fairly stressful time and affected by performance.

Having got to uni so far I've got 2 1sts and 2 2.1s in my first 4 assignments and it's going okay. Anyway having sent the e-mail out I eventually got a reply from Lancaster stating that they'd allow me to transfer into 2nd year providing I get a 2.1 at Essex, which is possible.

Anyway I've had mixed opinions on it, Lancaster is such an amazing uni and is ranked highly for my subject (Linguistics)... But I don't hate Essex and I'm worried about losing the friends I have and being unable to make new ones as friend groups will have already formed... So, I thought I'd post on here to see what people think? Should I accept the offer?
Lorox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My advice is check Lancaster out more and see if you like the feel of the place, and if you do I'd probably go with transferring, you can always keep in touch with old friends while making new ones here, and don't worry about making new ones, you're sure to find people you enjoy the company of. I'm sure lots of people move about uni's in the second year, through transfers, exchanges etc. so don't worry about missing out on making friends.
supajosh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just started as an undergrad this year at Lancaster after spending some time abroad doing overseas voluntary work , and had may questions and reservations myself . I am now happily there after an amazing three months , so much so that I recently trained to be a tour guide and will be doing this as soon as i am back next week . I would argue the only way you truly get a feel for a university is to go and take a look and I will be more than happy to show you round if you so choose

Kind regards
Josh
soonlancstudent7
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JordanC55)
Hey guys, just a quick question really!

I recently got into Essex university, which was my insurance, and while I don't hate it I sometimes feel like it's too far from home (Newcastle) so I sent a few emails out to various universities about transferring...

I got average a-levels at A2 (ACC) after attaining strong AS results and being predicted AAB... One of the contributing factors was my dad getting diagnosed with bowel cancer and my aunt receiving a diagnosis of terminal pancreatic cancer; so it was a fairly stressful time and affected by performance.

Having got to uni so far I've got 2 1sts and 2 2.1s in my first 4 assignments and it's going okay. Anyway having sent the e-mail out I eventually got a reply from Lancaster stating that they'd allow me to transfer into 2nd year providing I get a 2.1 at Essex, which is possible.

Anyway I've had mixed opinions on it, Lancaster is such an amazing uni and is ranked highly for my subject (Linguistics)... But I don't hate Essex and I'm worried about losing the friends I have and being unable to make new ones as friend groups will have already formed... So, I thought I'd post on here to see what people think? Should I accept the offer?
Lancaster is such an amazing supportive community, its really a one-of-akind place
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by soonlancstudent7)
Lancaster is such an amazing supportive community, its really a one-of-akind place
You do realise this post was 6 years ago lolz
soonlancstudent7
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
You do realise this post was 6 years ago lolz
LMAOOO i'm crying ICBA this was lit before i even went
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (54)
32.53%
No I don't (78)
46.99%
I work during the holidays (34)
20.48%

Watched Threads