The Student Room Group

UTI and peeing blood

I never used to get UTIs but almost 2 months ago, I had one, it lasted a couple of days but I didn't feel too unwell. I went on antibiotics and I thought it had cleared but ever since then then I kept on getting a slight sensitive feeling down below. Two days ago the UTI came back and it's so ridiculously painful, every time I just finish peeing, I feel an even stronger urge to pee :mad: and I'm passing blood. I've got an appointment at the docs today but just want to know if anyone else had similar experiences and how do you cope. I'm so worried that this will be a regular thing from now on.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I never used to get UTIs but almost 2 months ago, I had one, it lasted a couple of days but I didn't feel too unwell. I went on antibiotics and I thought it had cleared but ever since then then I kept on getting a slight sensitive feeling down below. Two days ago the UTI came back and it's so ridiculously painful, every time I just finish peeing, I feel an even stronger urge to pee :mad: and I'm passing blood. I've got an appointment at the docs today but just want to know if anyone else had similar experiences and how do you cope. I'm so worried that this will be a regular thing from now on.

How did your appointment go?
Reply 2
I was just given some more antibiotics. The blood has gone thankfully but I'm still in a lot of discomfort :frown:. Anyone has any UTI experiences to share?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I was just given some more antibiotics. The blood has gone thankfully but I'm still in a lot of discomfort :frown:. Anyone has any UTI experiences to share?

I just try to drink lots of water to flush it away.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't know what you want people to share exactly... UTIs are fairly common and are easily treated. The symptoms are the same for everybody. Just drink plenty of fluids.
Drink lots of water, and never hold in the pee! If you need to pee, pee.
Stay away from spicy, salty and sugary foods. Do not wear tight underwear/trousers. I found that the trousers I wore for work were the cause of my UTI, as I was fine when I was at home, but would start feeling it coming once I was in uniform.
There's debate on if Cranberry juice/pills work, but it's worth a try. Some cranberry juices are too sugary though, you'd have to be careful with brands. And check your antibiotics first, but my doctor told me to take the antibiotics and some ibuprofen for the pain.

p.s. This is all advice that my doctor gave me and it really helped, so it's worth following!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I never used to get UTI until last year. The pain used to be horrendous, and I used to dread going to the loo in the mornings as that is when I mostly felt very unwell. Honestly, the best thing I did was simply drank more water. I carry a bottle with me everywhere, and every time I have a cup of tea or a glass of wine, I drink a glass of water before or afterwards to keep my kidneys clear of toxins. Drink PLENTY of water, always urinate BEFORE having sex, and drink at least 2 glasses of water in the mornings as that is when you're most dehydrated. I honestly know how you feel -I used to use a hot water bottle as it made my stomach ache as well. Horrible, horrible thing to have! The last time I had it was last year in August, and not had one since (fingers x'd)

Quick Reply

Latest