The Student Room Group

Black Eyed Peas - the 21st century Michael Jackson?

Their songs are all hits, just like MJ.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Same could be applied to David Guetta.
Reply 2

Nothing like MJ, plus most people only know the names of two of the members, and one is WillIam who is just a completely arrogant knob who has publically admitted he can't sing without auto tune.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3

:rolleyes: They have not released anything.
Original post by fred292
:rolleyes: They have not released anything.

I Gotta Feeling
Where is the Love?
Just Can't Get Enough
Don't Stop the Party
Rock That Body
My Humps
Boom Boom Pow
The Time (Dirty Bit)

Those 8 songs could easily equal any 8 of MJ's songs.
The only reason Michael Jackson was huge was because he was just slightly revolutionary in popular music. By today's standards, everyone can compare.

If anything, Cher should be held in such high regard because it was Believe that made auto tuning so huge, and we know how much artists like will.i.am (and pretty much everyone else :rolleyes:) relies on that!
Reply 6
I Gotta Feeling
Where is the Love?
Just Can't Get Enough
Don't Stop the Party
Rock That Body
My Humps
Boom Boom Pow
The Time (Dirty Bit)

Those 8 songs could easily equal any 8 of MJ's songs.

Do you like these songs?

And equal them in what sense? Lyricism? Popularity?
Agree with Vixen. People need to take the nostalgia glasses off.

Justin Timberlake > MJ
MJ changed the face of music/pop culture/dance/himself. He has no parallel.
MJ made good music but he's so overrated it's insane. No one can argue that in his prime he could sing and dance on a level that most other artist couldn't achieve but that's it. In his later years he was nothing more than a drug addict, that hated the fact that he was black and had unhealthy relationships with children. I'm not saying he was a paedophile, before all your crazy MJ fans attack, but he was a grown man that had sleepovers and slept in the same bed as children, that is in no way normal. If Bob from down the road was found out to be doing that, regardless of the fact that he never touched them sexually, people would be gunning for blood but because MJ did it and he can sing that makes it okay. MJ's legacy is everything that is wrong with today's celebrity culture.

Will.I.am is just a prized ****
(edited 10 years ago)

MJ was also in the 21st Century :rolleyes:
Reply 11
MJ is overrated, but I would not say the Black Eyed Peas are his contemporary.
kanye west is today's MJ
In any measurable/scale/numeric/popularity/public opinion/cultural way? No..

Well not yet anyway, but I doubt they will ever reach that level..

On musical talent/merrit.. well thats entierly subject, so not really worth going over, as it will just end with people arguing for who they like most..
Original post by genuinelydense
kanye west is today's MJ

:confused:
Reply 15
Original post by tu_es_jolie_x
hated the fact that he was black and had unhealthy relationships with children. I'm not saying he was a paedophile, before all your crazy MJ fans attack, but he was a grown man that had sleepovers and slept in the same bed as children, that is in no way normal. If Bob from down the road was found out to be doing that, regardless of the fact that he never touched them sexually, people would be gunning for blood but because MJ did it and he can sing that makes it okay. MJ's legacy is everything that is wrong with today's celebrity culture.

1) hated the fact that he was black.

It should be his freedom to hate whatever he wants about himself.
I have ginger hair. I don't intrinsically hate it although I accept that it can tend to look greater on girls. However, childish gingerism (from supposed adults) against people such as Mick Hucknall makes me sick to my soul (ginger haired people can have souls).

There's nothing intrinsically superior about white pigments than blacker pigments.
And black singers were certainly not unusual in pop/rock.
But those black singers tended to need either exceptional talent, way above that required by most white people, exceptional handsomeness or exceptional support to ever have the confidence to know it would be worth it to put themselves on the public stage rather than sing in their bedroom. Marvin Gaye for instance - legend.
So because of the general unlikeliness of it happening for anyone who was black, MJ will have easily come round to the idea in his own mind that white skin- white soul a la David Bowie - would make him the 'perfect' package to most people. And truth is, he was still very popular and famous with young people through Bad and up to point of releasing Dangerous, after which he was best known for Earth Song, lesser known 'incidental-style music such as Stranger in Moscow and remixes. So having whiter skin did him no harm with younger people and, in fact, I think that it is more racist to deny him the right to choose whatever shade of skin he wanted. 'It don't matter if you're black or white' but he'd still like the choice. Just like people like the choice as to what colour of car to ride or what shape of nose to have if they have cosmetic surgery.
If more people close to him had shown him unconditional love he probably wouldn't have felt the need to think about such things. But the world was literally 'crazy' about him- either for him or against him. Unless he became a total recluse, that craziness HAD to leak in to him. It wasn't his fault - it was the world and its media analysing the motivation s of a sensitive man as if he was just like any other bloke. If he was just like any other bloke he wouldn't have made all those great songs so he needs to be given a break for doing some things differently.

2) unhealthy relationships with children.

Unhealthy for who? Demonstrate how his relationships have had any terrible effects.

Jordy Chandler? Many reports said he lied about certain aspects. He got 10s of millions without any liability accepted.
And, as unfashionable as this view may be, people's puberty hits at 13. That's when nature has decided that people are of sexual or reproductive interest. And it explains why some countries have age of consents of 12 or so. Now, the reason we may have ages of consent of 16 in this country is that we think that 13 year olds can't properly weight up disadvantages to sexual interest- plus probably that it might harm their usefulness to the world of work. But that's just adult bias that has no interest in the preferences of the pubescent who, in fact far earlier than that age, might have had a clear idea of their sexual and intellectual interests in life. If there was no consent at all that would be bad. but of course there would be some form of grooming if it happened - just like there would be in some relationships between older (but not necessarily more 'mature' ) people.

3) 'he was a grown man that had sleepovers and slept in the same bed as children, that is in no way normal'

Not you but to MJ it would not be normal to spend your life like you- not writing great pop songs, not hanging out with people so cool and talented that they get invited to The White House, and instead being preoccupied with hating people who have different interests.

He loved children because of his own innocence. Children could not easily take advantage of him whereas adults could. He was attracted to innocence because was innocent himself. If innocent and innocent have some kind of (non-penetrative) relationship then how could it be anything except innocent?

I accept it's difficult for most people it understand. But once it was difficult for most people to understand why we should not hang people without a trial as well.
Modern day types of witch trials are happening every day. Unfortunately for MJ, he experienced some of that. God bless him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Picnic1
1) hated the fact that he was black.

It should be his freedom to hate whatever he wants about himself.
I have ginger hair. I don't intrinsically hate it although I accept that it can tend to look greater on girls. However, childish gingerism (from supposed adults) against people such as Mick Hucknall makes me sick to my soul (ginger haired people can have souls).

There's nothing intrinsically superior about white pigments than blacker pigments.
And black singers were certainly not unusual in pop/rock.
But those black singers tended to need either exceptional talent, way above that required by most white people, exceptional handsomeness or exceptional support to ever have the confidence to know it would be worth it to put themselves on the public stage rather than sing in their bedroom. Marvin Gaye for instance - legend.
So because of the general unlikeliness of it happening for anyone who was black, MJ will have easily come round to the idea in his own mind that white skin- white soul a la David Bowie - would make him the 'perfect' package to most people. And truth is, he was still very popular and famous with young people through Bad and up to point of releasing Dangerous, after which he was best known for Earth Song, lesser known 'incidental-style music such as Stranger in Moscow and remixes. So having whiter skin did him no harm with younger people and, in fact, I think that it is more racist to deny him the right to choose whatever shade of skin he wanted. 'It don't matter if you're black or white' but he'd still like the choice. Just like people like the choice as to what colour of car to ride or what shape of nose to have if they have cosmetic surgery.
If more people close to him had shown him unconditional love he probably wouldn't have felt the need to think about such things. But the world was literally 'crazy' about him- either for him or against him. Unless he became a total recluse, that craziness HAD to leak in to him. It wasn't his fault - it was the world and its media analysing the motivation s of a sensitive man as if he was just like any other bloke. If he was just like any other bloke he wouldn't have made all those great songs so he needs to be given a break for doing some things differently.

2) unhealthy relationships with children.

Unhealthy for who? Demonstrate how his relationships have had any terrible effects.

Jordy Chandler? Many reports said he lied about certain aspects. He got 10s of millions without any liability accepted.
And, as unfashionable as this view may be, people's puberty hits at 13. That's when nature has decided that people are of sexual or reproductive interest. And it explains why some countries have age of consents of 12 or so. Now, the reason we may have ages of consent of 16 in this country is that we think that 13 year olds can't properly weight up disadvantages to sexual interest- plus probably that it might harm their usefulness to the world of work. But that's just adult bias that has no interest in the preferences of the pubescent who, in fact far earlier than that age, might have had a clear idea of their sexual and intellectual interests in life. If there was no consent at all that would be bad. but of course there would be some form of grooming if it happened - just like there would be in some relationships between older (but not necessarily more 'mature' ) people.

3) 'he was a grown man that had sleepovers and slept in the same bed as children, that is in no way normal'

Not you but to MJ it would not be normal to spend your life like you- not writing great pop songs, not hanging out with people so cool and talented that they get invited to The White House, and instead being preoccupied with hating people who have different interests.

He loved children because of his own innocence. Children could not easily take advantage of him whereas adults could. He was attracted to innocence because was innocent himself. If innocent and innocent have some kind of (non-penetrative) relationship then how could it be anything except innocent?

I accept it's difficult for most people it understand. But once it was difficult for most people to understand why we should not hang people without a trial as well.
Modern day types of witch trials are happening every day. Unfortunately for MJ, he experienced some of that. God bless him.

I just feel that if we took away the fact that he was MJ no one would accept that behaviour from him. Black people look up to him as some sort of demi-god representative of the black community. Yet he hated that aspect of himself, that makes no sense to me. So many other 'celebrities' have been criticised by black people for lightening their skin wthere that be through skin lightening creams or just in photos using photo shop, no where near to the extent of MJ, yet it's bad for them but okay for him.

Grown men hanging out with teenage boys in odd, as I said in my original post if the man from next door was having small kids round his house for sleepovers then people would think there was something wrong with him.

Tbh I don't think my real issue is with MJ himself, the man was messed up mentally: through the mental abuse he received as a child, growing up in the spotlight and drug abuse. So you can argue that it's not all his fault. I think I more hate how people perceived him. If I told you that I knew a drug addict that had kids round to his house for sleepovers that would not sit comfortable with the majority of people. Yet because he could sing and dance it was okay.
Reply 17
Original post by Wilfred Little
Agree with Vixen. People need to take the nostalgia glasses off.

Justin Timberlake > MJ

Agreed.

JT is a badman :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
People forget MJ didn't consider himself an adult. The guy was messed up. Not excusing his behaviour but I believe it was innocent and he was just very naive.

Original post by tu_es_jolie_x
If I told you that I knew a drug addict that had kids round to his house for sleepovers that would not sit comfortable with the majority of people. Yet because he could sing and dance it was okay.

Nobody is saying it's OK, it's pretty much universally accepted that it was weird as ****, find me someone who disagrees with that. I wouldn't let my son stop at his house but the debate with MJ tends to be whether he was guilty or not (he wasn't) not whether it was OK to let kids sleep in his bed.

& what he did (or didn't do) should not affect your enjoyment of his music. I sometimes listen to Nazi 'black metal', quite enjoy it tbh.
Reply 19
Black Eyed Peas at the Superbowl were stunningly bad, totally abysmal, utterly woeful, truly terrible, as bad as bad can be, the worst 'music' I have ever heard. The most over the top, bloated, noisy, trash, that has ever been performed. A travesty. A joke. A total embarrassment.

In fact I would describe that debacle as the worst thing I have ever seen. The worst thing.

Michael Jackson might have been odd, he might have been weird, but he had something. He could write genuinely great music that appealed to a variety of people.

There is simply no comparison between the two. In terms of ability, talent, originality. There isn't a single pop-star out there right now that will linger in the public conscious for decades after their demise. Jackson could reasonably be compared with Elvis and even The Beatles, in terms of his stature and impact. Black Eyed Peas cannot. Not a shred of talent between them.

It's like Lady Gaga, she wants to think she's amazing, she wants to be the Bowie of the 21st century. But she has nothing. Bowie has more talent in his little toe than she could ever muster.

The reason that no current popstars will hold up is simple. The music is ****. It will date horrifically. In 20 we will laugh at it. It has no substance. Over the years huge pop acts have come and gone but the only ones we remember had real substance and ability. Like Blondie or Jackson

Jackson isn't as good as people make out. Thriller was amazing but after that it all tailed off. But compared to the **** we have today he can justifiably be called a genius.

Quick Reply

Latest