Can you still go through clearing without having applied through UCAS? Watch

3mmz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello all i just have a query to ask.....

If you haven't applied for uni but on results day you do a lot better than expected and decide you want to go to uni....can you still go through clearing even though you haven't made an application? Is that possible?

I heard it can be done...but how does that work?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No you have to submit a full UCAS application to enter clearing.

If you think you might want to do this then you should put together your application BEFORE results day so that once you get your results you'll enter clearing immediately - otherwise you could be waiting for a reference while clearing places are taken up.
3mmz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
No you have to submit a full UCAS application to enter clearing.

If you think you might want to do this then you should put together your application BEFORE results day so that once you get your results you'll enter clearing immediately - otherwise you could be waiting for a reference while clearing places are taken up.
Oh...

i think it depends on the uni because my friend never applied through UCAS, he just phoned SOAS on results day who were in clearing for law and they offered him a place...(He had grades A*AB)....I think they asked for a reference during September.....so does it depend on the university and the rules they have?

The reason why i am asking btw is because i am thinking of doing this. Not sure i want to go to uni yet but if i get really good grades and my course is in clearing than i think i will want to go.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 3mmz)
Oh...

i think it depends on the uni because my friend never applied through UCAS, he just phoned SOAS on results day who were in clearing for law and they offered him a place...(He had grades A*AB)....I think they asked for a reference during September.....so does it depend on the university and the rules they have?

The reason why i am asking btw is because i am thinking of doing this. Not sure i want to go to uni yet but if i get really good grades and my course is in clearing than i think i will want to go.
A very small number of universities will take direct applications through clearing (although technically this is a Record of Prior Acceptance and strictly should only be used for international applicants). This isn't really recommended unless you have no other choice.

You know now that you might want to apply in clearing so put together your PS etc and get your reference filled out. Submit it to UCAS after 30 June and you'll go straight into clearing and save a lot of hassle if you want to try for a place.

If you decide not to apply through clearing then you just cancel the application after results come out.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Clearing is risky enough without adding to it. You could wait for Results Day, phone SOAS (or wherever) and discover your idea of direct entry is a non-starter. Every 'year' is different - you cannot rely on any example of 'what happened last year' as a strategy for this year. Different year, different situation, and you wont have identical qualifications/grades to your friend anyway.

Put in a UCAS application in time for Clearing and give yourself the option of every Uni that has vacancies.

Or apply as a Late Applicant well before that : http://ucasonline.blogspot.co.uk/201...han-never.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (23)
6.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.82%
No (128)
35.75%

Watched Threads