The Student Room Group

Truth is an illusion

What we perceive to be a truth is simply an illusion, an illusion which has been derived from an assumption of what we think is true. This assumption is a mere concoction of conditioned responses.

My question. Would it really matter if we all plugged into the matrix? If we aren't perceiving true reality now, then how is that any different to being inside the matrix?
Reply 1
Take the red pill son, that way you have a clearer picture of the 'choices' offered to you.
I see truth in a rational way: truth is when a person doesn't disguise what happened, or in short: Truth is everywhere where people don't tell a lie.
Reply 3
Original post by Rich00
What we perceive to be a truth is simply an illusion, an illusion which has been derived from an assumption of what we think is true. This assumption is a mere concoction of conditioned responses.

My question. Would it really matter if we all plugged into the matrix? If we aren't perceiving true reality now, then how is that any different to being inside the matrix?

hehehe you thought that TSR was a student website ??? you poor deluded fool. Place your left thumb on the blue logo and await instructions.
Reply 4
Truth is what happens, and what happens is what existing things do. Nothing illusional, are senses are trustworthy. And non-falsifiable philosophical theories on this will help us to progress epistemologically, this includes are knowledge to keep civilisation going... Medicine, engineering and above all, basic science. The very thing we depend on to know anything, and it works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Truth is realising that if you got in Oxbridge all you did was get AAA.. etc. By hook or by crook you got AAA... etc.
You need not necessarily have anything more than bare minimum above what it takes to get AAA...etc.

You need not to be as close to erudite as any ordinary student might have been 100 years ago.
You need not be nice, elegant, charming (not truly to the bone anyway) - you need none of the attributes that might be regarded as lady-like or gentlemanly ways.
You need not necessarily have a more rounded knowledge, a more insightful mind, than anyone at any red brick univeristies.

I use this example because it might be a big aim for a decent amount of people on here to get in to Oxbridge.

After you leave Oxbridge that's all it means.

You went to Oxbridge, you got a degree, you left it.

You're not Stephen Fry.
You're not Picasso.
You're not John Lennon/
Original post by JohnPaul_
Truth is what happens, and what happens is what existing things do. Nothing illusional, are senses are trustworthy. And non-falsifiable philosophical theories on this will help us to progress epistemologically, this includes are knowledge to keep civilisation going... Medicine, engineering and above all, basic science. The very thing we depend on to know anything, and it works.

In short: existentialism is the truth, as all kinds of things are surrounding the mankind. That is a point in which I agree with you. But what is about knowledge? are there really knowledges - Egyptology in terms of the pyramids for instance - which are not an illusion? if they are not an illusion, then they are facts and facts are true. So are there no doubts in the whole world?
Reply 7
Original post by Kallisto
In short: existentialism is the truth, as all kinds of things are surrounding the mankind. That is a point in which I agree with you. But what is about knowledge? are there really knowledges - Egyptology in terms of the pyramids for instance - which are not an illusion? if they are not an illusion, then they are facts and facts are true. So are there no doubts in the whole world?

Of course there are doubts and knowledge (true knowledge) isn't and shouldn't be subjected to a priori opinion. Facts by definition are true yes and truth is what happens, when we find out the truth of something - even if the method is disagreed upon - we still insist that to find out we must accept that something has happened and we have to find the causes for it, or we are unsure if something does happen or has happened so we will check to find its presence in the universe and then the causes.

I can't see how truth or true/factual knowledge is subjected to disagreement in terms of its meaning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Of course there are doubts and knowledge (true knowledge) isn't and shouldn't be subjected to a priori opinion. Facts by definition are true yes and truth is what happens, when we find out the truth of something - even if the method is disagreed upon - we still insist that to find out we must accept that something has happened and we have to find the causes for it, or we are unsure if something does happen or has happened so we will check to find its presence in the universe and then the causes.

I can't see how truth or true/factual knowledge is subjected to disagreement in terms of its meaning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whilst it would appear that beliefs and reality can coincide, due to the constant process of conjuncture and refutation I would argue that we can therefore never know absolute or objective truths, we can only know, partial, relative truths, subjective truths, probabilities, beliefs and the cogito ergo sum.
Reply 9
Original post by Jizzle88
Whilst it would appear that beliefs and reality can coincide, due to the constant process of conjuncture and refutation I would argue that we can therefore never know absolute or objective truths, we can only know, partial, relative truths, subjective truths, probabilities, beliefs and the cogito ergo sum.

The only place in the universe where objectivity literally becomes a matter of reference frame is black holes (Holographic Principle to be more precise). If by you mean probabilities as in not knowing to 100% then that is absolutely correct. But the scientific method teases out any subjectivity by constant third party perspective where any subjective becomes removed.
Any scientific field is based upon this and from you're saying, if a family member was murdered, and the detectives found out who it was... who are you to be mad at the murderer when by such philosophies as your own, it's merely a subjective truth of the detective and the culprit is guilty on the basis of belief? Are you sure you don't want to think about this? Because if you or anyone disagrees with this way of thinking or the scientific method by extension, then that's something to worry about for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
The only place in the universe where objectivity literally becomes a matter of reference frame is black holes (Holographic Principle to be more precise). If by you mean probabilities as in not knowing to 100% then that is absolutely correct. But the scientific method teases out any subjectivity by constant third party perspective where any subjective becomes removed.
Any scientific field is based upon this and from you're saying, if a family member was murdered, and the detectives found out who it was... who are you to be mad at the murderer when by such philosophies as your own, it's merely a subjective truth of the detective and the culprit is guilty on the basis of belief? Are you sure you don't want to think about this? Because if you or anyone disagrees with this way of thinking or the scientific method by extension, then that's something to worry about for sure.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Forgive my skepticism.

I am refering to not knowing 100%. In terms of epistemology, we cannot know 100%, follows that cannot know any absolute truths, apart from the afore mentioned cogito ergo sum.

In my opinion, multiple/infinite subjective perspectives do not necessarily equate to an objective absolute truth. And indeed, in the contemporary moment, there are no doubt, inaccurate theories, masquerading as absolute truths.

In the allegory of the murderer, it is quite self explanatory, that many, many individuals throughout history have been punished on false/incomplete evidence. Consequentially, I do not support the death sentence.

I don't see the problem. Skepticism, in my opinion, is healthy. I personally think that making the jump from 99% to 100% is the dangerous part, the false certainty that follows, can be epistemology foundational to a whole range of false assumptions. Where if absolute truth is re-framed in terms of probability, we then have a statement that is actually closer to truth.

It may be a thoroughly pedantic and a very skeptical position, but i think its important to distinguish truth from probability.
Reply 11
Original post by Jizzle88

Finally someone gets it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending