MissENA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi just wondering people opinions on which degree is better in the long run Psychology or Mental health nursing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
345rty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It would depend significantly on what you want to do...
MissENA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I was thinking mental health nursing for undergraduate because of the placements and then doing a psychology postgraduate but some people have told me to do just psychology however other people have stated that psychology is over subscribed and so has more students unemployed. And i am not sure if a mental health nurse degree is respected enough to apply for psychology postgraduate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pip123321
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mental health nursing. You can become a registered nurse, a psychology degree you become nothing
tedbunny
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've done a psychology degree and am applying to do mental health nursing this year. (I actually went on to an MSc in Neuroscience but withdrew when I realised I wanted to be a nurse.)

I'd say if you want to be a mental health nurse then do that degree right off the bat, that degree is very specific for a career, I wasn't completely sold on what I wanted to do and while I thoroughly enjoyed my psychology degree it would be very different to a mental health nursing degree. I would advise you get some experience, volunteer in a mental health setting to figure out whether you're more suited for caring/practical role instead of a more 'academic/research' oriented role that psychology would involve. If your primary interest is mental health, I would also say do nursing - psychology degrees don't cover mental health in the same way, I did a few mental health related modules, mostly in final year, but mostly the degree was geared towards cognitive/social/neuro psychology. Also, I don't know what the mental health nursing degree is like, but psychology is heavily stats based - most of my coursework was lab reports.

However, if you're more scientifically minded I would say go for Psychology, yes, you need to do more postgrad work to be qualified as a 'psychologist', but a psychology degree on it's own opens you up for research assistant/assistant psychologist roles.

I really only figured out I wanted to do mental health nursing through practical, hands on work experience. I'm much more passionate about caring for individuals than I am about research.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (28)
27.45%
No (74)
72.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed